Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

@Legate of Mineta: Given how notorious the Academy of Thei is among the staff and law enforcement at the Academagia, and given Sima Venesico's interest in obscure/illegal magic and artifacts, would it be permissible to portray her as at least aware that a PC whom she is a friend to who studied at the Academy of Thei is subjected to suspicion for involvement in some type of illegal magic? Note that this would not amount to her accusing the PC of being a mastery mage (although given what she studies, I would not be surprised if she would have such suspicion about students at that school).

@Legate of Mineta: A suggestion that I have been toying with (as a premise for some adventure) for a while, but may have general use in other content, is that a PC studying Gates magic at the Schohanwicht could face either of the two following closely related circumstances:

1. people attributing the injuries gained from training in gates magic unobserved by law-abiding people in Mineta as having been gained due to participating in illegal fighting pits of some sort - potentially leading them to think that the PC must be a strong fighter, in turn creating various situations.

2. The PC's trying to explain the injuries gained from training in gates magic as due to participating in illegal fighting pits of some sort - potentially leading other people to think that the PC must be a strong fighter, in turn creating various situations.

Of course, almost all of my PCs who are students at the Schohanwicht really are strong fighters, even without participating in illegal fighting rings.

I think when Pheme you set interact in some unusual way (like opposing each other) it would be good if the game give out a warning. I know from playing my self that I never looked at this and so not even know If I ever put up opposite Pheme in one of my games and if the whole Pheme interaction working as intended in Y1.

While i think the original discussion about Catherine Chard eye colors was just because she looks quite ordinary, it could be fun playing around with the idea in events and adventures.

The Emperor eye from Kuroko no Basket was pretty awesome and thats a basketball anime, in a word of magic sharingan-like should be possible. she dont even need to have eye powers, just the Pc get a glimpse of her with red eyes and wonders

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yurisama said:

While i think the original discussion about Catherine Chard eye colors was just because she looks quite ordinary, it could be fun playing around with the idea in events and adventures.

The Emperor eye from Kuroko no Basket was pretty awesome and thats a basketball anime, in a word of magic sharingan-like should be possible. she dont even need to have eye powers, just the Pc get a glimpse of her with red eyes and wonders

I can just imagine the sorts of rumours that other characters could try to spread about her because of her eyes - with a PC being recruited by one of the interested parties (perhaps including Miss Chard herself) to spread various explanations.

• 2 weeks later...

@Legate of Mineta: A suggestion inspired by my latest Academagia fanfiction (which I will post tomorrow): that some form of Mastery magic be used to allow characters to form a mind-meld, in order to gain access to each others' knowledge (which, in-game, could be represented as taking using the better non-physical subskills' values between two characters as the basis for skill-checks).

5 hours ago, Metis said:

Using proper Mastery? I think that'd have to be advanced (and likely lost) knowledge, based on what a student in Y1 can learn from the various Mastery skills.

Well, a PC in Y1 is already able to discover some lost knowledge, such as the spell "Disorder the Heavens".

@Legate of Mineta: Here is my suggestion for how the setting can incorporate some type of Madagascar-equivalent. I have structured it as a series of 10 excerpts from a conversation that can easily be turned into a research chain. If the Team likes it, then they are welcome to use it.

For what it is worth, the primary inspiration for the Gates Mages (and their society) whom I describe are Tibetan theocratic society, Theravada Buddhism, third-hand speculation about the Tibetan Tāranātha's writings about the world, and certain philosophical speculations about Australian Aboriginals before much was known about them by people outside Australia.

Of course, these writings, if accepted into the game, need not indicate that there really is a Southern Island on Cyve - many examples exist within out world of numerous people within a certain portion of humanity believing that something is true when it is false.

"If you go to the really rough parts of Mineta, you hear rumors from certain shady types of people. Maybe the stories are true and maybe they are not true - but they exist, and the goblins hear similar things to the humans, as far as I can tell."

"The claim is that far to the south is a large island - folks tend to call it Southern Island - where certain amazing things often happen. How you get to the Southern Island has never been explained clearly, as far as I know. It probably involves crime if it is real. Depending upon whom you ask and where, you hear different details about what travellers to the Southern Island do when they get to there."

"The goblins claims that some goblins are re-establishing the Kingdom of the Fens - although they are at least honest enough to admit that the Southern Island doesn't seem to have any fens upon it. Sometimes, goblins claim to know a friend of a friend who went to their new kingdom and made a fortune."

"Human sailors and merchants claim that this Southern Island is a place with human outposts - to where a friend of a friend may have gone - from where you can easily gain access to the wealth of Saisyne and further East - although whether the wealth is gained through trading or through theft varies depending upon whom you talk to and how sober the speaker is!"

"People who think that every lizard is a sign of the dragons' returning claim that the Southern Island could be our source of security. They claim that it breeds flying birds that eat elephants and lay eggs the size of houses. How such birds would not menace humans living there they cannot easily explain!"

"Sometimes, people with faintly military bearing appear, trying to gather riff-raff from the streets in order to conquer the natives in this Southern Island. The natives are supposed to be mostly human, like we are, but with some terrible practises. Of course, these practises tend to frighten off the few Minetans who are willing to risk going to a land that may not exist."

"Not anthropophagy, although that would be bad enough. I refer to their alleged practise of Gates Magic. Sometimes, people with a rumoured interest in Gates Magic are said to go to the Southern Island - but no people with such interests have claimed such a thing to me. Supposedly, the Gates Mages experiment upon the fascinating avian and nearly-human life in the Southern Island, but if so, they have been driven mad by their experiments, I think."

"They - the Gates Mages and the humans who supposedly follow them - are supposedly convinced that the gods are crazy or deceiving us, and that gods, mages, powerful fay, local spirits, and powerful mages are within the same multiverse and subject to the same rules. In all honesty, I would love to see a missionary try to teach the New Religion in the Southern Island - I am not sure which side would be more successful, given the claims that the missionaries would be dealing with!"

"Yeah, sometimes Radical Republicans in these rough parts of Mineta - whom Pievre will not accept - make noises about how they can find kindred spirits among the natives of the Southern Island. But they tend to abandon such claims - even assuming that they mean them seriously about this rumoured island - when they learn that the Gates Mages native to the Southern Island supposedly are kings in everything but name. Of course, such claims could be created in order to frighten away the Radical Republicans from the Southern Island - although by whom I have no idea."

"Do I believe these rumours that I have told you? I would not be surprised if they were true, but I also would not be surprised if they were false - and I strongly suspect that even if the rumors are true, deception plays a major role. Of course, the opposite is also true, with honest reporting of incorrect information probably playing a role even if the rumors are false. Mineta is such a strange place with so many types of people that anything seems possible to some people in this city - sometimes and somewhere."

@Legate of Mineta: I have 2 suggestions about the spell "Revision of Skills" - although I am not sure whether they are possible to implement.

1. Make clearer to the player which selected subskill will be replacing the other subskill. I find this to be difficult to remember, and it is not intuitive.

2. Allow the spell to affect multiple pairs of non-overlapping subskills at the same time when used in different castings, rather than switching from one pair of subskills to another. I was horrified to learn that casting the spell twice in a row for 2 different pairs of subskills would only affect one pair of subskills. The ability to affect multiple subskills by casting the same spell in sequence, targetting a different subskill each time, already exists with the spell "from novice to master".

@Legate of Mineta: 1. I Really hope that future instalments with friendship and/or romance with Zoe Melis will include content in which the PC gets involved in her medical care - cf., "The Wasting Sickness" in Y1 and Katawa Shoujo (Rin was amazing for me, but the game lacked people in wheelchairs, wherefore I did not like it as much as I could have). In all honesty, I would write material for such things myself but for the facts that (1) I know not what her symptoms or treatment are (although if you were wanting to PM me a list, that would be amazingly great) and (2) generic "help" as far as I am concerned (massage, carrying her) is, to put it mildly, rather awkward for people going through puberty (and even beyond, as I know) even when they are of the same sex, and I do not feel comfortable writing such things.

2. I do hope that the Team has made some plans for how NPCs would react in learning that their dear friends/lovers are gates and/or mastery mages. I have some proposals that may serve as useful inspiration/guidance (and maybe amusements); two of them I would like to turn into fully fledged segments for future games. Where in this forum should I post my suggestions? In the writing subforum or the spoilers subforum?

Just a thought, maybe have official content and mods in different selectors for next year. This way you can allow only 1 official content and automatic preselect the newest. (less confusion and especial no more problems from people select 2 official content in a game)

Also displaying the Version Number of mods and official content would be good.