Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Kitty kitty kitty!

There are six familiar breeds of cat in the game (well, the modbase): the Vittorian Rose Cat, the Godsgift Fair Cat, the Breuvan Ringtail Cat, the Merilese Mist Cat, the Langsey Tabby, and the Pievran Blue Longhair.

Could you describe those breeds? In particular, what is each cat breed 'known' for that might make a wizard seek it out as a familiar when compared to another breed?

(Are there any other 'famous' cat-breeds often sought out for familiars?)

Mikka;

I believe there are a few other notable breeds, and I am sure you will see some of them in the future. Hmmm...no, no surprises. :)

Here are the descriptions of the breeds in the game:

Vittorian Rose Cat: A rare southern cat, it's very fluffy and lovely. It often can be found under the thorns of rose bushes, although it is far too graceful to be pricked itself.

Merilese Mist Cat: A very rare Elumian cat, it's notable in being particularly difficult to impress, and having the semi-magical ability to blend in with its environment.

Pievran Blue Longhair: An all too common cat in cities, known for its rambunctious attitude and caterwauling.

Godsgift Fair Cat: A very rare cat of Monteon, one of the very few to survive the Cataclysm. It is believed they can see the wind, and can, under some circumstances, 'ride' storms. The name comes from the Godsgift Fair Felinara, where they were trained as companions to the Kings.

Breuvan Ringtail Cat: A common cat in Elumia, it is not particularly notable apart from its coloration, which changes whenever it moves to a new home.

Langsey Tabby: A common cat in Auncesay, they are known for their tenacity, curiosity and their skills as mousers. They are often seen aboard ships.

Gates and Mastery...are the mages who use them caught by the guards, the society that shows up in the Vernin adventure (forgot its name. The one with the gold runes) or by, say, mob of powerful mages like the Regents, Orso Orsi and such?

I ask because the Captain and his men don't seem that magically powerful yet they still tried to capture a powerful mage. A manipulating, scheming character of mine picked that quest only to have connections in case he's caught with illegal magic. Would it help, by any chance?

And is the Icanicix college still teaching or are they a part of the Schohanwicht School? Are there more places to study Gates in?

MadHatt;

The Aultrine Order doesn't go after Mages (well, they do, but they aren't known for it), but there are several that are tasked with doing so...your Character may even see some of them as time goes on. :)

The Captain and his men definitely aren't that powerful (some would say, way over their heads), but on the other hand they also carry Negation magics in their rods of office, keyed to them. Those aren't the connections you'd want if you ever get caught, but then again...you never know who might be helpful. :)

Icanicix is no longer teaching, and the Schohanwicht School doesn't exist....right? :)

There are no public places to study Gates at.

I sort of had the feeling that the guards were in over their heads considering the situations they relied on my character on. Still, the Captain grew on me quite a lot. He's an awesome character (a Badass Normal, if you will). Hope to see him again. Maybe Orso Orsi or Ilaro might have been a better contact though...

I now wonder if I could use Mastery spells on the Legate and what would happen.

How old were the Icanicix students then? Considering one had white hair...or would that happen from usage of powerful magic?

Thanks for the fast replies. I'm more and more fascinated by this world's lore and customs.

Yes, but you can hide stuff like that. A Mastery college hidden in a small village where everyone acts like a zombie and keep saying "There is nothing in the woods" over and over again. (ahem or something similar) or a Gate college somewhere hidden like Schohanwicht. If the ones in charge would be powerful enough, why not? I guess I'm asking because my character was already a member of that school and I kept on wondering what would happen if you recognized them, what with your college mates there.

MadHatt;

You'll definitely be seeing the Captain again. :)

Only a few of the Icanicix Students still live, their lives prolonged magically, and most these are in monasteries, cloistered away. Well, that is publicly known...as you say, some things can be hidden.

You probably don't want to publicly recognize a member of Schohanwicht...discrection is the key to survival. ;)

As to whether or no they re-open...no comment! ;)

Are there any Assassin's Guilds? The spy training is bordering this so I was wondering if the old spies gather around and sponsor up coming youths or are simply individuals who get too old to climb walls and throw daggers about.

Also, any chance to get into the Thieves' Guild? I haven't seen an adventure of it yet, but I could have missed it.

What is the Black Coster? (Not the Falcon, one but the one the Captain was complaining about) and why the similar names?

Also, any chance to get into the Thieves' Guild? I haven't seen an adventure of it yet, but I could have missed it.

I think Legate mentioned that it was orginal planed that the player could join the Thief guild ingame but it was removed.

There is even a event in the game that would have started this. Maybe we can join guilds/clubs like this in the next year and it actual have some meaning.

(I.e. my curent RPG Char have joined some organisations trough Adventures but after the adventure was over there was nothing -.-')

MadHatt;

Glad you enjoyed!

Schwarzbart is correct: originally, you *could* join the Thieves Guild- in fact, that Random Event you reference was the gateway to it. It had to be removed due to time constraints, but I believe it will be back in Year 2. There is more than one organization which deals with Assassins, but you probably won't be able to join them until a later Year. There is already a certain Story in the game which references them...;)

As for the Black Coster...no comment. (But the similarity in the name lies in the fact that there were both originally mercantile in nature. There are several other Costers in the game, or at least in the Lore.)

What's the difference between witchcraft and wizardry?

There are mentions of witches and how they shapeshift (could we do that? because that would be awesome) but why are they the evil witches and evil sorcerers/wizards in a different category? Are they like hedge-witches or magicians? And how do they get to fly a broomstick? Because, even though it sounds uncomfortable it's still flying...