Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. Do plea bargains exist? Like, you've committed this crime that would normally get you hanged, but if you agree to testify against your less error-prone associates of their illegal dealings we'll instead throw you in jail forever while we hang the rest?

2. How much investigation would be done if someone, noble or not, was discovered bribing a City Hall clerk?

I have one of those ideas that are just crazy enough to work...maybe.

I just couldn't stop smiling. It has been ten minutes and I still have a grin like a lunatic.

I really can't stress how much I enjoy reading this thread. Even the vague glimpse of what people ask is enough to send my imagination spinning and I love it so much...

Well, it's been a while, Adrian.

Please have some questions of your own after you're done reading so that I can tack a few on also.

I call this strategy "Question feedback" and it really helps to use another person's imagination to spark your own.

I've had to move again (to another part of the country too!) and been without internet for some weeks now (gasp - the horror!)

Right, sorry, I forgot the questions. (Now imagine me desperately looking about the room to find *any* original inspiration...)

Oh right,.. do there live creatures below the islands - and has anyone checked? (And was it someone we should know the name of?) I am thinking on the side facing away from the sun not actually BELOW the islands...

We know there is some advances in medicine, and of cause we got revision and incantation (and mastery... *cough*) to see to people's heath, but is this kind of care common? In the towns and villages?

Also, is there a feeling that, as magic gets more and more formalized, some of the "adventure" is fading? Is there a feeling that the "world of magic" seemingly slipping away or is it only just beginning? (I just finished playing Memoria, an adventure game and I'd highly recommend it to almost anyone if you can stomache adventure games)

Oursuk sounds to have beys and pashas, do they have sultans (and such in the way the Ottoman empire had or have they like the emporer in Elumia fallen from grace)?

And just rounding this off, how wide spread are schools? Is there any ergh... elementary schools? (I am slightly guessing at the name and it is getting late for me, but schools by the state for all children, not just the rich) - or maybe religious schools are in place to an extend? (I ask because we just recently celebrated 200 years of school aimed at all children, which was a fun if random fact :) - in Danish we got the 'Folkeskole' - folk school, or school for the people)

From what I know :

Magic healing is expensive as anything magic really and only wealthy can afford it on a regular basis. There is also a divide between area with strong mage presence like Mineta and "the country side" that rarely see mages in their lifetime (they are rare apparently).

Oursouk have at least one sultan: the sultan of Teique wich represent the "ottoman empire" in the game. If I remember right his situation is comparable to the late emperors: he is in theory the ruler of much of Oursouk but in reality he doesn't have much power outside his territory.

Adrian;

Oh right,.. do there live creatures below the islands - and has anyone checked? (And was it someone we should know the name of?) I am thinking on the side facing away from the sun not actually BELOW the islands...

Yes, there are several which have adapted; lizards, some hanging mammals, and so on. Some of them you may see in Y2.

We know there is some advances in medicine, and of cause we got revision and incantation (and mastery... *cough*) to see to people's heath, but is this kind of care common? In the towns and villages?

As isadorbg noted.

Also, is there a feeling that, as magic gets more and more formalized, some of the "adventure" is fading? Is there a feeling that the "world of magic" seemingly slipping away or is it only just beginning? (I just finished playing Memoria, an adventure game and I'd highly recommend it to almost anyone if you can stomache adventure games)

Hmmm...no, it is still very much a time of discovery and emerging power.

Oursuk sounds to have beys and pashas, do they have sultans (and such in the way the Ottoman empire had or have they like the emporer in Elumia fallen from grace)?

The Sultan rules Teique. Oursouk is a far-flung domain of that realm, as isadorbg notes, and is mostly autonomous.

And just rounding this off, how wide spread are schools? Is there any ergh... elementary schools? (I am slightly guessing at the name and it is getting late for me, but schools by the state for all children, not just the rich) - or maybe religious schools are in place to an extend? (I ask because we just recently celebrated 200 years of school aimed at all children, which was a fun if random fact :) - in Danish we got the 'Folkeskole' - folk school, or school for the people)

No, primary education occurs via apprenticeship or through experience. Only the wealthiest have access to schools, and even then tutors are far more common.

*Sigh*

So much for removing the obvious from a question and/or statement in order to better make said question and/or statement free from clutter and and other undesirable wordage so as to minimize confusion and provide clarity, thereby allowing the person who answers to have a relatively simple time forming a reply to the original statement without having to constantly reference every little detail while constructing said reply.

1. Does magic have a 'feel' to it? If one was blindfolded could one tell if different pillars of magic were used?

2. If Glamour is probably the most commonly practiced pillar, why does it only have a slight edge over the other pillars? (at least as the number of students enrolled in the pillar classes might state.

3. Given that you've said that the base pillar classes will be available in Y2 (not that I'll need them, hehe,) and that you've said that upperclassmen should have logically attended at least some of our Y1 classes, can you say about how many students from all years actually enroll in some of the basic classes?

4. What is the current penalty in Mineta for the act of using the Proscribed branch of Negation resposible for negating Magic itself?

5. Generally, what shape are the older, abandoned classrooms in? Would they still have the basic supplies in them? Remnants of items that used to be taught there?

6. What kind magical reputation has Legate Orsi aquired that a student might have heard in Y1? The only thing specified is that as a spellcaster, which is a bit generic. Is that to imply he has a high Enspell skill? as opposed to [redacted] stuff?

7. What is the nowm record for a long lived person?

8. How much autonomy does the Academy have?

9. Given the main story events of y1, particuarly if one sides with Orsi, (as I always do) why is the player character kidnapped by the silent lady? I mean, I get that we're more bait than a genuine threat else at this stage, but it is implied that we ourselves have been a thorn in the coster's sides and I don't necessarily see that. Of course the main story is very cryptic and given piecemeal across multiple potential storylines so perhaps you could clear this up for me a bit without giving away [redacted] info...

1. IIRC the random event where you get the Candies of the Gnawing Void has an investigation option where the PC closes his/her eyes to focus on detecting magic...or something? I think so.

2. I'd say either ease of learning or because the Academagia tends to draw people who believe they're charming (and a few with ulterior motives).

3. I honestly expect that seniors aren't allowed to enroll in Y1 classes, so I'd guess 2, maybe 3.

4. Given how many people in power aren't against all magic...probably execution.

5. I suspect most were effectively vacated and are now nothing more than empty rooms with maybe a blackboard hanging on the wall, but a few might have some old desks, chairs and perhaps even cupboards pushed against the wall for later removal that just never happened.

6. Considering the Legate's connection to Ilaro and his special Gates robes I doubt anything the Legate does beyond "cast spells" is public knowledge, and even that is only half the truth at best.

7. I think at least a century or two?

8. That probably depends on Orsi's budget for handing out enormous bribes.

9. You're a thorn in the Coster's side because you're not aiding the pirates. At least that's the natural assumption, because the pirates are the only way to get involved in the main quest without ticking off the Costers.

Free;

1. Does magic have a 'feel' to it? If one was blindfolded could one tell if different pillars of magic were used?

Perhaps yes, if you were very familiar.

2. If Glamour is probably the most commonly practiced pillar, why does it only have a slight edge over the other pillars? (at least as the number of students enrolled in the pillar classes might state.

Ease of learning and utility.

3. Given that you've said that the base pillar classes will be available in Y2 (not that I'll need them, hehe,) and that you've said that upperclassmen should have logically attended at least some of our Y1 classes, can you say about how many students from all years actually enroll in some of the basic classes?

That's a good question! I am not sure at all, but probably not that many.

4. What is the current penalty in Mineta for the act of using the Proscribed branch of Negation resposible for negating Magic itself?

It's not a very forgiving time. :)

5. Generally, what shape are the older, abandoned classrooms in? Would they still have the basic supplies in them? Remnants of items that used to be taught there?

A mix of completely empty spaces and storerooms.

6. What kind magical reputation has Legate Orsi aquired that a student might have heard in Y1? The only thing specified is that as a spellcaster, which is a bit generic. Is that to imply he has a high Enspell skill? as opposed to [redacted] stuff?

As Metis noted. ;)

7. What is the nowm record for a long lived person?

Several centuries. In one exceptional case, ~600 years...*maybe*. It's [redacted].

8. How much autonomy does the Academy have?

On its grounds, a great deal. Outside of that, not *too* much.

9. Given the main story events of y1, particuarly if one sides with Orsi, (as I always do) why is the player character kidnapped by the silent lady? I mean, I get that we're more bait than a genuine threat else at this stage, but it is implied that we ourselves have been a thorn in the coster's sides and I don't necessarily see that. Of course the main story is very cryptic and given piecemeal across multiple potential storylines so perhaps you could clear this up for me a bit without giving away [redacted] info...

[Redacted]! Sorry. :)

So for 4. It's the same penalty as the two pillars that shouln't be touched? hmmm.

1. That scene in dialectic class. The one where Sido starts a discussion on Gates and whether the ban was justified. Exactly how much trouble could he have potentially gotten in, especially if the wrong kind of person showed up at the time?

2. Can you explain how magic was cast in the past? It sounded very ritualized, where it says that it needed to be precise lest it wouldn't work. It sound vaguely like what I learned of Ars Magica while we did that IRC game. Also from what it looks like, Astrology didn't fully make that leap. X\Can you extrapolate on that?

1. I don't think he'd have gotten into too much trouble from just bringing up the topic, especially since he is the Dialectic professor and brining up discussions is...kinda his thing, not to mention he'd most likely answer to Legate "not technically the same" Orsi. Now if he were caught defending Gates as opposed to using it as a subject to teach kids how discussions work...he'd probably get fired at bare minimum.

I personally don't mind obviously, but I'm sure there'd be some administrative jerk who'd try to get him fired just on the reasoning that 'there are plenty of ways to teach kids to debate, and that isn't one of them.' I'm not nessarily saying that that's right, just human nature. Sure Orsi'd resist it because he's reasonable, but then that wouuld get the wrong kind of scrutiny on him for defending someone 'who'd bring up Gates in a discussion'

Edit: Legate, would tou pretty please show us one of your characters that we may stand in awe and plot how to match it? (or do you have access to char generators for quic bug testing?)

Free;

1. That scene in dialectic class. The one where Sido starts a discussion on Gates and whether the ban was justified. Exactly how much trouble could he have potentially gotten in, especially if the wrong kind of person showed up at the time?

As Metis notes. :)

2. Can you explain how magic was cast in the past? It sounded very ritualized, where it says that it needed to be precise lest it wouldn't work. It sound vaguely like what I learned of Ars Magica while we did that IRC game. Also from what it looks like, Astrology didn't fully make that leap. X\Can you extrapolate on that?

It has more to do with an understanding of palettes and borders; advancement of knowledge in these areas led to more 'imprecise' use of magic.

As to my personal characters, oh no- they don't even compare to some of the monsters I've seen here. :)

Ooh, ooh!

1. How would one control a summoned monster without Mastery?

The control pheme seems to be a big part of it, but that pheme reeks of association to Mastery. Is there anything you can explain on this?

2. What kind of/ will opportunities for advancing our skills will be available to us in the summer? I am envisioning it as mostly a convenient time to do a few unique adventures and catch up on a few subjects so as to ensure enrollment in Y2's advanced classes, but If I wanted to get ahead in a pillar or two because I will not be taking classes in them, could I?

3. I understand if you (still) don't want to spoil us players, but logically our characters should already know or be told what the futue lasses thry might take next year throughout Y1, right? whether encountering a professor in the hallways that didn't teach in Y1 or hearing from our own professor's mouths, our characters should ahve learned what classes are in Y2 even if you're being very secretive with us, right?

4. Actually, are you planning on releasing Y2 info (like class stuff) with DLC 17?

1. There's one holiday where the PC can summon a troll to do some work, and putting him to work requires a Wit roll. Without Mastery you'd probably need to resort to the traditional methods, which is bribing your summon into complying with either food, wealth or the promise of knowledge/power/something else the creature in question cares about.

2. You'll probably be spending most of your time with your family, but since you have the opportunity to send letters to people you might also get a chance to get some last-minute studying in.

3. If the PC doesn't I'm sure Cyrus Dawes knows and can be talked into spilling that information. Both the classes and the lasses.

4. That probably depends on whether the class stuff is set in stone at that point, and while IIRC the plan was to release Y2 a month after DLC 17 and therefore should be set at that point...Y2 release schedules. They are...mercurial.

Free;

1. How would one control a summoned monster without Mastery?

The control pheme seems to be a big part of it, but that pheme reeks of association to Mastery. Is there anything you can explain on this?

As Metis noted; Mastery is really the way.

2. What kind of/ will opportunities for advancing our skills will be available to us in the summer? I am envisioning it as mostly a convenient time to do a few unique adventures and catch up on a few subjects so as to ensure enrollment in Y2's advanced classes, but If I wanted to get ahead in a pillar or two because I will not be taking classes in them, could I?

It is possible to advance your skills during Summer Vacation, as you see. It's a bit different, though.

3. I understand if you (still) don't want to spoil us players, but logically our characters should already know or be told what the futue lasses thry might take next year throughout Y1, right? whether encountering a professor in the hallways that didn't teach in Y1 or hearing from our own professor's mouths, our characters should ahve learned what classes are in Y2 even if you're being very secretive with us, right?

@Metis: HAHAHAHA!

@Free: Yes, your characters would know, barring certain exceptions.

4. Actually, are you planning on releasing Y2 info (like class stuff) with DLC 17?

I would think so, if not before. We'll find out. :)

lol, I am getting sloppy in my typing. To be fair my method and position for typing is less that ideal as I do it one-handed in the dark on a black keyboard, so most of my attention is on the keys instead of the screen. I'm using my laptop too which is not really ideal in and of itself either.

heh. As soon as my lappy's hdd is full I'll have no choice but to fix my desky. ha, what priorities I have, but then I don't have Y2 to play right now so it's not like I have anything that requires a hot awesome PC anyway.

PS. on 4. What!? Before!? Oooh, I need to know! convince the team, legate!

I suppose some side topics wouldn't be out of the question, especialy seeing as how the Mirapos library had books that didn't have anything at least directly related to Gates. Euneycia also taught Zoology, so yes I expect some interesting revelations. I mean every college of the Academagia has at least one subject that doesn't seem in first glance to be directly related to it's primary magic. Maybe it helps in some unrelated capacity that people who use the magics do, but it's not quite the same thing.

1. If the Previous Legate of the Academagia was a practicer of Mastery, can you reveal how he finally got discovered? From what I can tell, it was not a major secret at least around campus.

2. Although Avila was Girls only, was in still possible to do what Malacresta is doing? (taking the classes without being in the college)

3. What was the reason for letting boys into avila, anyway?

4. When Kazus and Ickanix became locked up and disbanded, did any classes that they taught fall into another college? (Obviously not the pillar classes)

5. If an old anti-Mastery Negation ward were in place somewhere, should that send warning flags?