Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1) Chameil School is in Staade to my knowledge so it would suite if the player can visit this academy. That's why I asked if the player can visit it.

next old questions:

2) Do a Artificer need the knowledge of spell magic or do he just need the knowledge of the Pheme and how to work the Pallete into a item? For the game my question comes down if a Artificer need to study the basics of the spell magic or if it is enough if he learn the necessary pheme. (Only got a speculation as answer)

3) Can we get info about the prerequisite from year 2 classes that have 2 or more prerequisites?

4) Can you share some common historical year 5 focus for each College?

5) What familiars can speak the human language and what familiars might be able to learn speaking it with enough teaching?

1) Legate still nothing on my questions 3-5?

2) How many students of year 1 have a supernatural origin (vampire, werewolf etc.)?

3) In year 2 or later will there be a new background that the player is a vampire or werewolf and if so can old chars also add this?

3. Is Malacresta a vampire? (Garlic allergies, preferring the night sky, etc...)

3) Who can say? :)

I Suspect the Legate and Professor Badcrumble for sure but if they share this knowledge with the player or a other student is something different ;)

I will say that if Malacresta is a vampire, he sure doesn't give off the impression of one.

Of course t's hard to tell from portraits alone. Aaran is supposed to be albino but his portrait doesn't really reflect that too well, either.

1. Have Gates and Mastery historically been banned and unbanned together, or separately over their various proscriptions?

2. You mentioned that the few known graduates of Ickanix (and I might presume Kazus as well) are cloistered and their lives have been extended magically. (well, at least a few of them, anyway.) Why are their lives being prolonged?

3. How would raising of an army work? Assuming one needed to be raised to fend off the dragons? Would the remains of the Empire be even able to convince the disparate territories to help?

4. If you lost your wand in the wilderness and did not have any enchantment on your finger/tongue, etc. could you still do magic? At least enough to enchant a stick which would be better than nothing..

5. Would it be possible, at least in theory, for a wand attuned in Gates to be legal? At least assuming it wasn't of the kind that gives knowledge, and wasn't used to cast spells from the pillar?

6. What is the worst event to happen to the Academagia, that would be recalled by the currently attending 5th years in Y1?

7. I have noticed that sometimes a character will say 'Academagia' without the definate article 'The'. I realize that 'Academagia' is a unique name, but seeing as how it is a shortened version of "Academy of Magic [of Mineta]" which is a bit generic, I feel it is improper to not say "The Academagia" in game. It's a minor nitpick, but I have to ask... Is there a reason why it is sometimes said without the word 'the'?

8. On the subject of the school's name, how common is it called 'Academagia' in the formal outside world? Would the school's acceptance letters bear the full name of the school?

9. How prone are noble/royal families to inbreeding due to beliefs on keeping bloodlines 'pure'?

Ooh, and since we're talking about the founding,

11. Does any of the observatory equipment/buildings that existed on the grounds of the Academagia before it was founded stiil exist?

Free & Schwarzbart:

1. Have Gates and Mastery historically been banned and unbanned together, or separately over their various proscriptions?

Separately, typically.

2. You mentioned that the few known graduates of Ickanix (and I might presume Kazus as well) are cloistered and their lives have been extended magically. (well, at least a few of them, anyway.) Why are their lives being prolonged?

Presumably, they do it themselves...

3. How would raising of an army work? Assuming one needed to be raised to fend off the dragons? Would the remains of the Empire be even able to convince the disparate territories to help?

The Emperor, or the Captain in this case, would cause the Lamps of the Empire to light. All of Man's vassals and allies should raise their levies, buy the services of mercenaries, and come to the Wall at once. A Grand Levy like this would only be necessary for a Flight of Dragons, and that's not happened in centuries upon centuries. Who knows if anyone would still respond? Who even knows if the ancient magics that cause the Lamps to be lit still function? :)

4. If you lost your wand in the wilderness and did not have any enchantment on your finger/tongue, etc. could you still do magic? At least enough to enchant a stick which would be better than nothing..

No. However, if your knowledge of the wilderness was sufficient, you could probably find something naturally enchanted enough to work basic magic with.

5. Would it be possible, at least in theory, for a wand attuned in Gates to be legal? At least assuming it wasn't of the kind that gives knowledge, and wasn't used to cast spells from the pillar?

In theory, yes. In practice, no. :)

6. What is the worst event to happen to the Academagia, that would be recalled by the currently attending 5th years in Y1?

Haha! Let me ask first. :)

7. I have noticed that sometimes a character will say 'Academagia' without the definate article 'The'. I realize that 'Academagia' is a unique name, but seeing as how it is a shortened version of "Academy of Magic [of Mineta]" which is a bit generic, I feel it is improper to not say "The Academagia" in game. It's a minor nitpick, but I have to ask... Is there a reason why it is sometimes said without the word 'the'?

No, it probably always should say 'the'.

8. On the subject of the school's name, how common is it called 'Academagia' in the formal outside world? Would the school's acceptance letters bear the full name of the school?

Always with the 'the', I would think.

9. How prone are noble/royal families to inbreeding due to beliefs on keeping bloodlines 'pure'?

Inbreeding is prohibited by the Imperial Temple, but it does happen (and, in any event, is used as grounds of divorce.)

10) Is Academagica older then Mineta or not and how long is the time between the founding of both?

The Academagia is younger than the City of Mineta, by...a milennia or more.

11. Does any of the observatory equipment/buildings that existed on the grounds of the Academagia before it was founded stiil exist?

*However* the Observatory, which is now part of the Main Tower of the Academagia, is older than the school itself, and older, in fact, than the City of Mineta.

12) What is the oldest still intact building at Academagica Ground?

The Observatory, and it's catacombs.

We're getting close to November, Legate! Is it still theoretically inside the realm of possiblity that Y2 can be released this year? (Let me guess: "We won't know until we know, and we won't be able to know until we finish, so know that we know that we don't know until we know we're finished. You know?")

1. If a student was exploring and got turned into a statue for a few centuries from a trap spell of some sort, and assuming the poor kid could not be found:

a. What is the time limit on being declared legally dead, if such a concept exists?

b. Given that the spell would wear off eventually, would the kid successfully revive after all that time? (Assuming nothing bad happened to the kid-statue.)

c. How would the school deal with such an event of a presumed dead student showing up so much later relatively none the worse for wear?

d. And what kind of immediate reaction would occur if said student was wandering the halls wearing one of the proscribed colleges' uniforms? (legitly.)

Has anything remotely like this happened? (minus the illegal magic part if necessary)

Mmmm.... Not really, as my understanding of that scenario is that 1. the student in question is unknown to the faculty, 2. Actually dead (?) and not assumed dead, 3. Mostly incapable of rejoining the school/society.

The Gate/Mastery connection of my subquestion D is only an optional and separate thing, No Gates/Mastery magic was used in their 'imprisonment'. I ask how the school would react to an innocent scenario, as opposed to how they would clearly remove all trace of your student if they knew he existed.

1. They would if the kid came back after being revived and said 'hey, here I am! What happened?' The school has records to prove it.

2. Unholy abomination. Clearly needs to be destroyed if they find him.

3. In theory, so did this kid (in subquestion D) The difference is that this kid can literally walk up to a professor without fear of eventually being killed outright. And he would too, not being aware of any ban to fear. He may be Cloistered if he was advanced, yes, but this kid came out into the open after being revived from petrification, not skulking about in a cave somewhere presumably continuing to study illegal stuff (and that's what people would naturaly assume from 'unholy abominations')

1. True enough, especially for Mathew. Something you might find out during the adventure in his case, too.

2. He certainly gives off that impression if you catch him without a Glamour, but he's a good kid beneath all the ugly and decay. Just don't ask him about Knights and Knaves Royals and Rogues. On that subject he's straight-up evil.

3. Hm...I don't think the theoretical "clean" kid could rejoin the Academagia. All (s)he'd have learned will be outdated beyond belief, getting over the shock and everything will be a job in it's own right, and let's not even mention how many counts of skipping you'd accrue after centuries of unsanctioned absence.

3. Yes, the odds of it are low. though the kid does have a small-but-real chance. (At least if Banned Magic is not involved) I would expect the kid in question to have at least some useful knowledge and at the very least some insight into history. I sincerly doubt magic becomes obsolete very quickly, if at all. (improved upon, yes, but that can be remedied) If the kid had nowhere to go and perhaps he knew some rare unknown-in-modern times phemes/spells...

..Though the idea of being formally expelled for skipping 300 years worth of classes is solid gold comedy right there.. Reminds me of a Navy sea story I was told about an old deserter who left the Navy some 50 years prior getting pulled over at traffic stop, getting arrested and shipped back to the Navy (even being forced to shave and wear a uniform) until he could be administratively dishonorably discharged. That's government thinking for you, folks.

Free;

Nope, no news yet on the release date. I dare not speculate anything for fear of your previous signature! :)

1. If a student was exploring and got turned into a statue for a few centuries from a trap spell of some sort, and assuming the poor kid could not be found:

a. What is the time limit on being declared legally dead, if such a concept exists?

b. Given that the spell would wear off eventually, would the kid successfully revive after all that time? (Assuming nothing bad happened to the kid-statue.)

c. How would the school deal with such an event of a presumed dead student showing up so much later relatively none the worse for wear?

d. And what kind of immediate reaction would occur if said student was wandering the halls wearing one of the proscribed colleges' uniforms? (legitly.)

Has anything remotely like this happened? (minus the illegal magic part if necessary)

a. That concept does exist, but only in noble circles, and there aren't specific set criteria. Rather, it's based on the family, the local powers, and of course how much money is involved.

b. Yes, depending on the spell.

c. Finding the family descendents would be the first order of priority; resuming learning at the Academy would be on hold until that time.

d. The Instructors would get involved, right away. :)

It's happened, most famously in Meril, but never at the Academagia proper.