Black Chicken Studios Forums

Troubleshooting

Command

1) Did you double check that you have .NET 4.0 installed? If you got it from Steam, you should have 4.0 already. The system error message is usually related to an earlier version of .NET. Probably the easiest thing to do is to download the .NET installer from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...9f-b21f31ab88b7

...and install.

*Ignore this step if you are running Windows 7. Windows 7 has the correct version of .NET pre-installed.*

======================================================================

2) Are you running the game as an Administrator? If you do not have anything special set up to do this, you will need to right-click on Academagia.exe and select: Run as Administrator.

You can also try the following, which should allow you to run the game as Admin automatically without having to right-click in the future.

1. Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
2. In the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button.
3. Check the box for Run as Administrator.
4. Click Ok to apply your changes.

For Windows 10, please try:

win_10_run_as_admin.jpg

For Vista users, you may have to do the following:

Go to the programs folder in the C: drive and run Academagia.exe directly from where you installed it (not the shortcut). You will hopefully get Run as Administrator option there, if you do not see it by right-clicking on the shortcut.

Windows authority is a tricky thing- even though you are on an Admin account, programs have to be given Admin rights individually. It's annoying and inconvenient, but...it also helps protect your computer.

3) Your game crashed and things have been weird since.

Most of the time this is due to a faulty cache. Find your cache folder which should be located:

C:\ProgramData\Academagia\Cache_V3

And delete it.

If you can start a new game, but cannot load previous saves which used mods, try this:

(1) Rebuild the cache by simply starting a *new* game and selecting the mods that were used by your save

(2) Quit the new game

(3) Try loading your old game save now

4) You get an error message about some file that the game needs, but that is being used by another process.

Try this:

(1) Ctrl + Alt + Delete

(2) Go to Task Manager

(3) Check if Academagia is still listed under running Apps or Background processes. If yes, right click on it and end the task, and restart Academagia.

5) Version 3.0.6 already has everything. DLC 17 is all inclusive and contains all previous DLC's. Make sure you have the latest and greatest.

First, download the latest patch if you don't already have it (the latest is always stickied at the top).

Next, navigate to your Academagia folder and delete all the files inside which also appear in the patch. The important ones are:

Mods (folder)
Academagia.Core.dll
Academagia.exe
Academagia.UI.dll
Common.dll
ContentModel.dll
GameLogic.dll
Storage.dll

...make sure you delete them, and do not overwrite them with the ones from the patch!

Finally, move the files from the patch into your Academagia folder. Make sure to Run Academagia.exe as Administrator.

6) Saves compatibility - We've done our best to make sure saves from previous versions of Academagia work in the current version, however, due to the complexity of the modding system, we cannot guarantee that your old saves will work 100% of the time. There may be some data loss during the conversion to updated formats, specifically:

These students might have one less spell:

• Aveline Aranaz
  • Grainne Aranaz
  • Raoul Aranaz
  • Malacresta Aranaz
  • Rikildis Aranaz
  • Cinzia Avila
  • Olivia Avila
  • Neso Godina
  • Isabeau Hedi
  • Ausdauer Hedi
  • Leopold Hedi
  • Reitz Hedi
  • Girars Morvidus
  • Joana Morvidus
  • Philippe Morvidus
  • Hector Morvidus
  • Mairgrete Morvidus
  • Rixenda Vernin

If you are trying to load an old game that used mods and encounter an error, please try:

• Starting a new game with all the mods selected that were used by your old game (this builds the cache)
  • Once your cache has been built, now try loading your old game

For example, if I have an old save called "OldSchool.ams" which used "Mod 1" and "Mod 2", I would start/save a new game "Temp.ams" which used "Mod 1" and "Mod 2". Finally, I would load "OldSchool.ams".

If the above does not work, you may need to verify that you have a clean install of Academagia before trying the above steps again (making sure to delete old version of Academagia completely vs overwriting files, and to clear out cache, etc.). Just make sure to retain your saves and mods so you can carry them over to the latest version.

7) RivaTuner - A few reports of Academagia crashing due to this free app, which may be resolved by uninstalling RivaTuner.

8) If the above steps have not corrected the error and allowed you to play, please email info@academagia.com the following information:

• Your System Specs - are using a Mac, and just running Windows virtually?
  • The log file 'Academagia.log', which will be present in C:\ProgramData\Academagia for Windows 7+.
  • Your save (.ams) file(s), if possible.
  • Any mod(s) you used.
  • Instructions on how to replicate the issue.

We'll try our best to resolve your issues, and thank you for your patience!

I would love to play this game, and as there is no way to try it first I took a leap of faith based on reviews and paid far above what I normally would for a game. I was distressed when it would not run at first, but I checked your forum and followed all of the recommended steps. However, I am still unable to play the game, I receive an error stating the following

".NET Framework Initialization Error Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application"

Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I just recently bought the game, but even after going through the troubleshooting I can't seem to play it. :(

Basically, even when trying to 'Run as Administrator' from C:/Program Files it tells me: 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate privileges to access this item'. I am using the Administrator account, Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks!

I am also having problems just running the game, it all installs correctly, I have it under Admin as suggested, I also downloaded .net and still if I click on the exe file it does nothing just an egg timer flick for a millisecond then nothing, any ideas to help please. I installed the .net 4 i believe from the link at the top. I am also running on windows XP.

Thanks Gwendall! Yes, I wish I had Windows 7 too...I swear Vista is a deliberate scheme by Microsoft to make more money. ):

Mineta: That's quite alright.

I went through each of the four steps in the other thread, with the following results:

Method 1: No memory errors.

Method 2: No viruses.

Method 3: Having problems with this, since using Windows' add/remove program doesn't seem to have enough permission to uninstall. Help?

Method 4: Currently clean booting, and the program still crashes upon start-up.

Also ran an SFC scan:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

It also produced a set of very cryptic log messages, which I can post up if need be.

nightschild62;

To clarify, when you mentioned that you have tried it directly through program files, do you mean you have navigated to:

C:\Programs and Files\Academagia

and used the .exe file within?

This is a very strange problem!

Yes I tried the .exe file in program files as well, I have been fighting this game all day lol, but it literally does nothing no error messages nothing at all just won't run, my PC is built for gaming but I have never come across this problem before lol.

Also it doesn't even resister on my processes or programs on task manager, it seems to be not executing.

• 3 weeks later...

HELP!!!!!!!!! :(

i tried all of your suggestions and even went as far as shutting down my anti-virus in case it was blocking the app from loading and nothing seams to be working.. i keep getting the same error.

"system error has occurred... application will be terminated... and then it goes away... ive payed for a game i cant play...

I haz a sad... :(

The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall the game and look through your Window-User directeorys and the place where you have installed the game for any remaining academagia direcotrys and remove them also!

Then download the game again from the source you got it and install the game new. Then get the Patch 7 and patch 7b from this forum and copy this files from in this arcives in the directory so that the existing filles will be overwriten and then thry to run the Academagia.exe from the gamedirectory as admin.

If this dont helps you have to wait 7h+ from now till the Legate of Mineta comes online.

But then to help you he probably need more infos about your system and where you have bought this game.

The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall the game and look through your Window-User directeorys and the place where you have installed the game for any remaining academagia direcotrys and remove them also!

Then download the game again from the source you got it and install the game new. Then get the Patch 7 and patch 7b from this forum and copy this files from in this arcives in the directory so that the existing filles will be overwriten and then thry to run the Academagia.exe from the gamedirectory as admin.

If this dont helps you have to wait 7h+ from now till the Legate of Mineta comes online.

But then to help you he probably need more infos about your system and where you have bought this game.

another question for u. how do i go about re-downloading it from the site without being charged again or is it safe to take the already saved zip file that i have???