Black Chicken Studios Forums

Troubleshooting

Command

I didn't rapidshare it, but I put it on uploading (I hope it's not a problem, because it was easier for me to put it there instead of rapidshare). Here is the link: http://uploading.com/files/a369bfb4/Suri%2BZhianfar%2B-%2BVeranix%2B3.ams/

ANYWAY, I did try out a new game, and lo and behold it works fine. Even when I save and quit and then reload the game (post-DLC7 and most recent patch). It's only the games saved before I kept getting the error messages that can't load. :(

I think it's a problem I have with deleting the cache. Every time I try to reload, the cache and GCC files immediately come back. :(

SE;

They should come back- don't worry. :)

We'll investigate this- for your previous saves, did you use this with any mods, by chance?

Edit: Yes, it appears that this was created under a mod which is now missing. Do you know which mods you used to create this save? You may need to revert in order to use it again. Additionally, the forthcoming patch (1.3.8.0) might help with this, but I can't be certain.

With the latest patch (#38) it no longer allows me to use a custom portrait by replacing the file in

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Academagia The Making of Mages\OfficialContent\Resources".

I've tried switching it to different school presets and none of them appear to be replaceable.

Is there another way to go about replacing them?

Edit: After testing, it appears to only be an issue when using a user made mod above the official patch in load order. I don't see any problem so far by simply having the official mod on top, so it is in fact not a problem at all for me. I don't know if the load order will cause issues with other mods though.

I think it was Consolidated Patch 28. I thought of that, and wanted to download the original one but it was taken down (because I deleted the original files for Patch 28). Hmmm, if that's the case, I'll wait for the next patch before trying the same saved game and see what happens. Thanks! :)

Legate:

OK, CP38 did not work when I tried to load the same game (as the one I added before for ). It works on the game I created in CP37 and that opens perfectly (created while I couldn't access the game). I did everything, the 3 steps + admin running.

=S

SE;

Still not totally clear- so, CP38 allows you to load and play the game you created in CP37, but not the one created in CP28?

For CP28, I've just uploaded it for you:

https://rapidshare.com/files/460760745/Academagia_Consolidated_Patch_022411.zip

Try installing that seeing if you are able to load your game.

Thanks!

SE;

Hahaha! I am not sure what your operating system is, but I guess, since you have a new computer, that you have Windows 7.

If so, you can follow these steps to adjust your DPI:

1) Right-Click on your Desktop and select 'Personalize'.

2) In the bottom left of the new window, select 'Display'.

3) Choose 'Smaller - 100% (default)'.

4) Click on Apply.

You should now be able to play without any further issues. :)

Hi,

Ive just started trying replay this game since the new DLC has come out. But I cant seem to load any of my new old saves or even start any new games as I get the two repeated error messages after picking the Dlc or loading.

I tried the 3 steps of reinstalling Net 3.5, deleting tyhe folders that were present in my old academia folder and transfering the new ones and running as admin. But it still didnt work.

I also tryed the solution that tobin used on an earlier thread. But Im one of the least computer literate people i know I managed to run the Amtemp file thing but couldnt find the cache or the GCC file. Could you possibly explain in steps for me please?

Thanks in advance,

David

Neavyrn;

The Cache (which this problem is probably related to) is in a hidden folder called ProgramData.

I do not know which OS you are using, but if it is Vista or 7, ProgramData probably is in your C:\ drive. You will need to turn on the options to make hidden folders visible- here is an article on that:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5956683_show-files-folders-windows-7.html

...once it is visible, you can navigate to it and delete the Cache folder.

The GCC folder, on the other hand, is in your Academagia directory. Where that is will depend on how you purchased the game- Impulse, for instance, sets up its own directory for it. By default, you can find the GCC folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Academagia\Mods.

Let me know if that helps! :)

• 2 months later...

I am having a strange error. I am not sure what's happening, but I've had it happen on two different computers, leading me to believe the error has something to do with the way Academagia is interacting with one of my other programs or settings - since I have similar settings on the two different computers. It is a visual error, meaning that when I open the game, nothing displays until I hit the Show Desktop button on my taskbar twice - bringing the game back up. Then if I click anything other than "Go back to the real world" (which pops up its "Are you sure?" dialog as normal), I have to repeat the process to get anything visual to change. Everything works fine, but the visuals do not work. Incidentally, I played the game normally yesterday - I have restarted this laptop since, and now it has the same problem that my desktop back at home does.

So what do I do to try and fix this?

Icepick;

Hmmm! That is a very strange error- I haven't seen this one before. My first guess is that you may want to look at your .NET installation, to make sure you have all the necessary components (Academagia needs .NET 3.5 SP1). I'll mention this to our coding team as well, to see if they have any ideas to add.

Icepick;

For .NET, you will probably want to uninstall .NET from your laptop first, and then reinstall it in layers:

First, install .NET 3.5.

Then, install .NET 3.5 SP1.

Finally, install .NET 4.0 if desired.

...this will insure that you have the most complete set of components. If you want to be extra sure, you could even start by installing .NET 3.0 and then working your way up the versions.

Icepick;

For .NET, you will probably want to uninstall .NET from your laptop first, and then reinstall it in layers:

First, install .NET 3.5.

Then, install .NET 3.5 SP1.

Finally, install .NET 4.0 if desired.

...this will insure that you have the most complete set of components. If you want to be extra sure, you could even start by installing .NET 3.0 and then working your way up the versions.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

I am on Windows 7 on both computers, yes. I am forced to assume it is interacting in an odd way with my settings in both cases. It's just that it's happening the same way on both computers that's curious. Did I mention that the game ran fine the first time I ran it on the laptop, and I have successfully run it with no issues on the PC before.

It's really bizarre.