Black Chicken Studios Forums

Troubleshooting

Command

Icepick;

Hmm, this is truly odd. You may want to try running the game without your anti-virus running (you may want to disconnect from the internet before you try that!) We have seen that anti-virus can cause odd behavior in software in general- otherwise, we will certainly assist you in obtaining a refund. I wish we could better support you! :(

Icepick;

Hmm, this is truly odd. You may want to try running the game without your anti-virus running (you may want to disconnect from the internet before you try that!) We have seen that anti-virus can cause odd behavior in software in general- otherwise, we will certainly assist you in obtaining a refund. I wish we could better support you! :(

Sir, with how much enjoyment the game's brought me, do not worry about a refund. Given that there doesn't seem to be a quick and easy cause for the solution, perhaps one will come of its own for a while.

Thank you for the great product, and your attention to trying to help me - it's not often than you see a developer put as much focus into helping their players as you have. Hell, if I could, I'd give you even more money!

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently gotten this game, and have installed it on my computer (which uses Windows XP).

At first, I had to update the .net framework, and now have up to 3.5 installed.

I made sure to download the latest patch and all as well, and followed those steps.

However, when I directly click "Academagia.exe" in the game folder I have it saved in, it seems to load..even showing a screen.

But after a minute or so, I get this error: "System error occured. Application will be terminated."

And, yes, I am right clicking the game, and running it as admin.

KuruKuru;

Hmm, this doesn't sound like an error we've seen before, especially since it crashes a minute into the game- could you send me your Academagia.log file? In XP, you can find that at:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Academagia

Please e-mail that to info at academagia dot com.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Icecream Jones;

No problem- this error is fairly easily remedied.

Academagia only supports the default text size of 100%. You can restore the default (assuming you are using Windows 7), by right-clicking on your Desktop, choosing 'Personalize', and then selecting 'Display' in the bottom left hand corner.

Change your size to the default value 100%, and you won't have any issues with the menus.

Hope that helps!

• 8 months later...

Icecream Jones;

No problem- this error is fairly easily remedied.

Academagia only supports the default text size of 100%. You can restore the default (assuming you are using Windows 7), by right-clicking on your Desktop, choosing 'Personalize', and then selecting 'Display' in the bottom left hand corner.

Change your size to the default value 100%, and you won't have any issues with the menus.

Hope that helps!

I´m having almost the same issue, except worse. Because on my screen, most outside of the "wood" frame ends up outside of the screen completely.

I can get the menus back at least partially by changing screen resolution(just enough to make them work and make the confirm button visible), but doing that every time you set details/confirm for a day, or save/load, it gets very annoying very quickly.

Changing to default text size caused the detail menus to be slightly more visible(but almost unreadable instead since the text is then too small) after resetting resolution, but they still end up more or less outside the screen. (and i simply can´t have this computer set to standard size text, as that makes the text of some programs i need completely unreadable)

Simple fix, just add a setting that allows menus to be set to appear somewhere in the middle, as all other controls on the screen are locked out anyway while you´re using those menus. Or something...

Running WinXP with HD6770 gfx, the game from gamersgate. And AFAIK, game correctly patched(although it was not easy to find which file was the proper one).

Oh and BTW, how can i run into a teacher and get detention for being in a tavern i´m not supposed to be in, despite spending the whole day only in my room? Risking detention for something you DO wrong is as it should be, but this event made me go *huh?*.

So, how many of the developers played themselves silly on one or more of the Princess Maker games sometime in the ancient past? ^_^

Oh and edit, first time i ran the game, the "Explore" action didn´t appear at all.

DW75;

Fortunately, Y2 does not have this problem (or, well, shouldn't), but the only fix for Y1 is the change to default Text Size. :(

For the Tavern Event, Events are sadly not tied to your actual Location (or Class, etc.), although that, too, is improved in Y2.

As to Princess Maker...I think I could say nearly 100% are guilty as charged. ;)

Explore is unlocked through Skills; that may be the reason.

Thanks for the report!

Something caused me to lose the Temple of Ioduca location. Not temporarily lose the ability to use it, but lose track of its location entirely. It was just forgotten about. I reloaded a save from a few days prior to the problem and have not been able to reproduce the issue.

EDIT: Did I say I haven't been able to reproduce it? That does not appear to be true! I have reproduced it after all. I have a save wherein the Temple of Ioduca is still in my Locations list, but its ability is unusable. There was no "you have lost" message to indicate a duration running out, and it's been several days. It is as though I am abruptly failing a prerequisite for the ability.

89157Z;

Hmmm! That's the first I've heard of an issue like that!

If you come across it again, please let me know- we'd like to see the save.

Actually, nevermind, I just checked the mod tools. As it turns out, I AM failing a prerequisite... that save is of a character who is flat broke.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the game this morning direct through the Academagia website. Installed it fine but when I try to run the game Opens up the first screen (with the girls on the moon), and will occasionally start to play some music before a system error message pops up and shuts the game down.

I followed the link in the OP to get the latest version of .net, which was apparently already installed (though I did go ahead and "repair" it back to he original setting through the installer), downloaded he patch and installed it as instructed (manually deleting the original files), then right-clicked on academagia.exe and selected "run as administrator", and got the exact same result as initially.

Checking the academagia.log file seems to indicate that the program is being denied access to the config.xml file for some reason. For fun, I went in to the permissions for that file and opened up full access to the system and all users. Didn't fix the error.

I'm running Windows 7. As info, the demo version over spoon ran fine for me last week.

Weevilbits;

(Ha! You caught me, I edited that part out after re-reading what you wrote.)

With Windows 7, it's usually safe to rule out a .NET issue, since by default you have the components we need.

Given that you have already chosen to run the exe as Administrator (you ran the exe, correct, not the shortcut?), that makes the problem much more unique. The first thing to try is to go ahead and deleted the Academagia folder from ProgramData. There should be no reason why that would throw an error if you are an Admin, but...may as well try it.

After that, it's possible there are some conflicts with your music player. I seem to recall that some Players had such an issue, and they had to make sure their music players weren't running in the background.

Let me know if these steps work, and thanks!

I'm away from the computer I'm trying to run it on for a couple hours, but will try deleting the folder in program data when I get back.

As far as I know, I wasn't running any sort of music player. I have iTunes installed, but it wasn't open or operating, and I don't actively use anything else. Do you by chance remember specifically what players were causing the problem?

Weevilbits;

Sadly, no- it was a player which I was unfamiliar with, which of course is of no help at all.

One more thing- it should no longer be necessary, but after you delete the Academagia folder found in ProgramData, you might try running AMTempFilesCleaner.exe, found in the Patch directory.

Once you have taken these two steps, navigate to Academagia.exe, right-click on it, and select Run as Administrator.

Let me know, and thanks!

Still a no go, task manager shows no music data or really any applications running other than firefox. Killing the folder in program data didn't fix the error, though it did get me a new log file that looks different than the one previously generated. Pasting here in case its at all useful:

[Academagia 2.28.0.0] - [2013-05-31T17:26:27.9282031-05:00] - [Error] - System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization.
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at Storage.Publish.CustomSerializer.Deserialize(String fileName)
at RepositoryCache.GameCache.GetFilePublishInfo(String fileLocation)
at Academagia.MainWindow.Window_Loaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)