Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Can you tell us a little bit of magical attempts to reach Cyve not involving Gates?

Any people bold enough to hover down with Negation and disappear from existence?

Are the Wellsprings vitae considered to be Gates magic?

How do runes used in Orthography differ from 2d represented phemes? It seems to me that they don't merely use 2d representation of phemes as those seem to be more useful as learning aids as they might not look my like a pheme, depending.

If one were to combine orthogaphy with Gates, would the chaos factor have a chance of showing up every time the item was activated? Or would it be like enchantment where once it's made It's pretty safe?

Dammit, Gates! I *Want* to love your magic but you don't give me many reasons to...

Ooh! Here's a question for you, Legate.

Badcrumble has an event where she tries (and fails) to convince Oriabel to stop researching ghosts, claiming that it's Gates research. While I see the point of that statement, it seems that there's this very fine line that even though ghost research does (or can at least conceivably) tie into Gates, The faculty seems to have no resort other than warning you. (and perhaps detention for some made up reason), but that's not a very strong deterrant.

So what I want to ask is, assuming you don't actually go and try to learn the practical magic side, just how far can you get away with research that has connections to the theory of Gates? If I wanted to investigate Monteon after graduation, would that be all, "NOO! You can't do that, you might learn something about GATES, wooooo~!" *ghost noise*?

How hard would the faculty come down on a student that somewhat tactlessly admitted to be interested in Gates, at least the academic "historic significance and untold magical mysteries" aspect rather than the "summon a horde of undead to put down my uppity neighbour's pet Dragon" aspect? Detention? Expelled on the spot? Go Directly to Cloister. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 Pims?

Generally, how does one discover a pheme outside of academia?

Just randomly making wand movements probably isn't excessively likely. Is it possible to uncover a pheme while engaged in something related to it? like uncovering water while swimming?

I think some possible ways that might give you a pheme in return are:

- Exploring old ruins because there apparently many pheme and spells lost over the generations.

- Using a spell similar to From Nothing Knowledge but just with the focus on pheme instead of skill knowledge.

- Going the logical path in looking how other pheme are formed and then try to discover how a other related pheme might look. (probably dialectic related)

- Hit libraries about magic and research pheme there. (There good librarys outside of Academagia, the question is just if you can access them)

- Buy a book about magic in hope it have useful knowledge.

- Ask a other magus to teach you.

- Visit the Imperial Palace Tapestry Room

How fast would the city guard respond if they found out that, say, an otherwise insignificant business is actually a front for Gates wizards? And on that subject, would they care about keeping it quiet/making an example or would they simply focus on grabbing as many Gates users as is reasonably practical?

Heh. I bet its just recommissioning the Library of longshade if you tidied it in Y1 and organize it in Y2. Surely a dedicated Bookworm should have the magical power to do that if they really set their mind to it.