Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. Is wandless casting (with fingers) considered a common skill for mages? Or would removing a mage's wand be reasonably expected to disarm them?

2. Since the Schowanwicht school is technically not in Elumia.. How does the enforcement of the prohibition of learning proscribed magic outside the borders work?

3. If a student was to play a hight-profile prank on a regent, and made sure to....

A: cast magic indirectly (only on objects to be used in the prank)

B: erased the magical trace thereof.

C: Did all this while disguised as Poor Phillippe.

D: Placed the offending wand in phillipe's room.

E: Did ALL of this without ever being directly observed.

How difficult would it be for the faculty to track YOU down, and what are the odds that Phillippe would take the heat?

4. When was the last major dispute over the status of Aranaz being a true college?

5. Are the vegitarians ingame quiet Veggers? or are they Lisa Simpson-styled "Force-my-way-on-Others" types?

Free;

1. Is wandless casting (with fingers) considered a common skill for mages? Or would removing a mage's wand be reasonably expected to disarm them?

It's uncommon enough that disarming usually does the trick, but experienced mages will always check after a disarm.

2. Since the Schowanwicht school is technically not in Elumia.. How does the enforcement of the prohibition of learning proscribed magic outside the borders work?

The same. :)

3. If a student was to play a hight-profile prank on a regent, and made sure to....

A: cast magic indirectly (only on objects to be used in the prank)

B: erased the magical trace thereof.

C: Did all this while disguised as Poor Phillippe.

D: Placed the offending wand in phillipe's room.

E: Did ALL of this without ever being directly observed.

How difficult would it be for the faculty to track YOU down, and what are the odds that Phillippe would take the heat?

Who knows? You'd have to try it and see. :)

4. When was the last major dispute over the status of Aranaz being a true college?

Centuries ago, I'm not sure the precise date.

5. Are the vegitarians ingame quiet Veggers? or are they Lisa Simpson-styled "Force-my-way-on-Others" types?

Lisa Simpson forces her way on others? I missed that episode! :)

I imagine that they are quiet *and* loud, according to their personality.

A few serious and not so serious questions.

1) Seeing as they are so many students working so hard to reach the top of their class (Freespace), what happens to those of us who can only be above average? (Me) What kind of jobs can I expect?

2) Where would the school keep some of the more dangerous plants for research? I would like to check the security there and not find a dangerous plant to leave in my dorm-mate's room.

3) Is it necessary to polish our wands?

4) Where is Wand-mart and what sort of supplies do they sell?

5) Other than the Minotaur for a Forge-master, any other ... how do you put this politely ... mythical beings working in the academy?

6) How would you replace London and France in "I see London, I see France"?

Leoshi;

1) Seeing as they are so many students working so hard to reach the top of their class (Freespace), what happens to those of us who can only be above average? (Me) What kind of jobs can I expect?

It primarily will depend on how connected you or your family is.

2) Where would the school keep some of the more dangerous plants for research? I would like to check the security there and not find a dangerous plant to leave in my dorm-mate's room.

In the Menagerie.

3) Is it necessary to polish our wands?

Yes, depending on their materials. Wands of wood can crack.

4) Where is Wand-mart and what sort of supplies do they sell?

No wand-mart, but you can find a good selection at the Admiratio.

5) Other than the Minotaur for a Forge-master, any other ... how do you put this politely ... mythical beings working in the academy?

Yes, a few. You'll see some in Y2. :)

6) How would you replace London and France in "I see London, I see France"?

Hahaha! There is no analogue for that rhyme. :)

Okay, back after a storm kept knocking out my connection.

For 1) let us say the middle class. What work can we expect?

For 2) you mean next to the hairy-squid thing, the devourer squirrels, the stink-plant from Adrian's bedroom and the single strand of cat (?) hair of Nyaa?

For 3) our wands can crack from too much spell-casting, then I better polish mine everyday.

For 5) can I suggest some? An efreet as a chef, a duo of dwarfs as the engineering lecturers or that caterpillar/butterfly thing from Alice in Wonderland as the head of the librarians.

"I have seen Flamezia, I've seen Yvigny! Now I see Freespaces' Skivvies!" Nope, nice try anyway Freespace.

New questions!

7) How common are magically-powered devices? Does Alice have an auto-juice maker in her tavern? A heating blanket used by rich-folks?

8) And on magically-powered devices. Crystal ball communicating as the hand-phone of Elumia. Yes or no?

9) Since CremePudding was so kind enough to make you sticky the Suggestions and Improvement thread, can I ask you too?

Leo;

For 1) let us say the middle class. What work can we expect?

It's not likely that you'd receive work from the middle class, except in a city like Mineta. But in the City, you would be creating enchanted items and some prepared Spells.

7) How common are magically-powered devices? Does Alice have an auto-juice maker in her tavern? A heating blanket used by rich-folks?

Rare outside of cities, but in larger cities they aren't uncommon among the upper class. In Mineta in particular they are almost routine amongst the upper class.

8) And on magically-powered devices. Crystal ball communicating as the hand-phone of Elumia. Yes or no?

It's possible, and sometimes used.

9) Since CremePudding was so kind enough to make you sticky the Suggestions and Improvement thread, can I ask you too?

For this thread? Sure. :)

Legate! Legate! Legate!

Don't lock the door to your office yet. I have a few more questions.

1) As we all know, Gates and Mastery are illegal. For Mastery it is basically controlling someone to do your bidding. Now imagine a master of Incantation.

A master who can control the fluids in your body to mimic the effects of Mastery, AKA Blood-bending! Doesn't that mean all magic should be banned?tongue.gif

2) Can you say how much of Year 2 is done?

puss_in_boots_big_eyes_antonio_banderas_shrek_01.jpg

Oh, Leoshi! This isn't Dragon Age! I think the legate said that blood has some magical significance but it's not on the same level as "blood magic".

Still I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a better explanation on the matter....

Oh, and on Y2.. Could you answer that question legate?

Puppy-dog-eyes.jpg

(not me)

Schwarzbart;

I'm not sure about that, actually. I imagine it's possible, though.

Leoshi;

1) As we all know, Gates and Mastery are illegal. For Mastery it is basically controlling someone to do your bidding. Now imagine a master of Incantation.

A master who can control the fluids in your body to mimic the effects of Mastery, AKA Blood-bending! Doesn't that mean all magic should be banned?

Incantation produces something from nothing- you don't actually control existing materials (although their presence helps). It is possible to create materials inside another person, but it's very difficult. I'm sure that some people would like all magic to be banned, yes. ;)

Blood-bending! Quick, where's the Avatar? :)

2) Can you say how much of Year 2 is done?

It's with no small amount of pride that we reflect on your question: it means you're excited for the game. However, we can't yet say. We are still actively writing, editing and coding, not to mention some new artwork requirements. I could say something like 90%...but the devil is *always* in the details. Sorry to try your patience, but it will be ready...when it is ready! :)

90% is better than 80%. I'm happy.

By the way, legate. There isn't anything to really say so in y1, and clearly the player character doesn't suffer from it that I can notice, but I've been meaning to ask.

What is the average capacity for students to take magically intensive classes?

By that I mean, I don't think there's a single student in the game who takes Incantation, Revision, Glamour, AND Negation, along with the college-mandated classes. I assume the reason being that even though all the classes teach phemes and such, Athletics is clearly not as mentally intensive as the core pillar classes. Lorewise what would instructors actually think of my character who goes for this omnidisciplanarian ideal? In the beginning of Y1 would he have been discouraged from taking so many base-pillar classes? Would excelling in this class combination be considered more impressive in-lore than simply excelling in a bunch of mentally lax classes? Would instructors have doubts that this could be kept up and would those doubts be justified?

Free;

"90% is better than 80%. I'm happy."

Well, it's hard to quantify, because several systems are still being worked on. Until they are complete...;)

"What is the average capacity for students to take magically intensive classes?"

I suspect it would be about the same capacity as modern students in challenging fields- so, not many, on average. :)

The classes you take are most impressive to those in academia- the average person wouldn't know the significance of your successes, except through demonstrated magical ability.

ehehehehe.

I can understand that. Will we see anything in the future that will prevent us from taking all of the most difficult classes?

(like the reason why we could learn all pillars in y1 is because those classes aren't very hard compared to the advanced versions.. Will we be limited to taking only 2 or so pillars? Or will that always be up to the player?)

I get giggles when imagining the even a common wizard's reaction to my character eventually combining Glamour, Negation, and Revision in a single counterspell. :)

Haha! I'm not planning on being a "master" of all magical skills. I know that's a bit out of bounds. My character will never ever be as capable with Negation as Briardi, and my Revision and Glamour skills will no doubt wind up being somewhat less trained than I'd like in order to ensure I keep up in other areas... But I think that it's worth it if things go as you say, Legate.

No doubt Y2's raising of the skills will be mild compared to future years And I might with great effort max out the y2 caps for them. But why would I spend so much effort raising Negation from 30 to 31 in say Y5, when I could probably raise another 2 magical skills from 20 to 22 for the same effort? A "jack" after all is not a master, but I'd think that people would fear me in a duel for no other reason than complete unpredictibility in my pool of spells. :)

Actually, that brings to mind a good question. Is there going to be different gameplay for the summer break? Or will it be the same calendar system for the whole year with abilities/actions for each time period? Also, for summer break will we have (mostly) uninhibited access to extra time slots?

One advantage that we will have only for Y2 is a longer year to do more, so I do think it'll be (barely) possible to max out Y2's caps for magic skills, but Y3 and beyond surely not as the year won't be any longer than Y2. and there will be more skills to raise and harder to raise them.

I'm curious though, if the summer months were originally planned to be used in Y1? I'd guess yes since the calendar stretches past Kaliri.

Also, I understand why it works the way it does for a gameplay aspect, but it seems to me that the bonuses you get for attending one of the preschools are somewhat... meager. How long are you supposedly taught there if you choose one of those backgrounds? Because if it's supposed to be even just 1 year, based on what you can learn at the Academagia I'd say you get ripped off.