Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Well, yes, I suppose. Though the Legate has said that it likely overlaps with general palettes, so I don't see it as an end-all "it must be renamed"

Regardless of what speciality it is, we're still getting a chance for a head start in the new parent skill, whatever it's name is.

We're gonna need 3 subskills for the new parent, and 1 of them is accounted for. The other two will likely be specialties in other branches of magic, and together you'll get the "???" general palettes parent skill. So I think the description is fine if a bit misleading.

Hmmm.

Exactly how volatile is the Gates chaos factor?

Assuming you've got a respectible Gates mage using the same spell he knows, casting it 1000 times over however long it takes to do so, how many times would the CF manifest itself?

A short list of questions!

1) Swears! Are there any particularly popular swears used by some of the more rowdier people of Elumia? Or do I have to resort to some words taught to me by Ezio Auditore and hope people won't translate them?wink.gif

2) What are the chances of a human as a familiar?

3) And on familiar, will the cold-blooded ones hibernate or because of their magical properties, stay awake and take a good nap in the PC's warm room?

4) Where is the school's vegetable garden? Do we need permission before we could use it?

5) Do the rich ride floating carriages? I can't imagine them enjoying a carpet-ride without bugs flying into their faces.

6) Are togas allowed? Please don't ask why.tongue.gif

7) Could you show me what formal wear would look like in this world? I am not a great student of history and thus do not know what it looks like.

8) Does the school focus on growing the rarer plants, like Schwarzbart's weed? Just in case something happens to the last living specimen in existence.

9) This is one of the things you should stop me from thinking. As you said before the waterfall style of bathing requires that you can afford it. Okay now imagine you are a mage (not hard is it?) and you are all grimy. You just create a room, either made of wood or stone, and illuminate the inside. You draw a rune or you just set your wand to act as the water source. The water you can just evaporate or let it drain into the ground (or gate it away).

This can be done anywhere and at any time.

So why not dismantle the bathrooms and force every student to practice their magic like that? Interesting, no? No swirlies too so one less weapon for bullies.

9) This is one of the things you should stop me from thinking. As you said before the waterfall style of bathing requires that you can afford it. Okay now imagine you are a mage (not hard is it?) and you are all grimy. You just create a room, either made of wood or stone, and illuminate the inside. You draw a rune or you just set your wand to act as the water source. The water you can just evaporate or let it drain into the ground (or gate it away).

So why not dismantle the bathrooms and force every student to practice their magic like that? Interesting, no? No swirlies too so one less weapon for bullies.

Wouldn't that kinda make Incantation a mandatory class? Plus, that seems to take a lot of time, you need a lot of space or student will be setting up shower stalls all over the place annoying everyone else, accidents are highly possible, school image etc....

...Bullies, too. Nothing says mean like interrupting someone mid-shower by getting rid of whatever privacy they have and their water. You can't even see them coming compared to using shower curtains!

EDIT: Oh, it is Leoshi. You probably dream up something like this because you want to write events where Philippe interrupt your showers :angry:

Leo;

1) Swears! Are there any particularly popular swears used by some of the more rowdier people of Elumia? Or do I have to resort to some words taught to me by Ezio Auditore and hope people won't translate them?

Yes, but they are not for the ears of such young students! :)

2) What are the chances of a human as a familiar?

Dragons were known to have human familiars, but the number of cases wherein that's happened in modern Elumia is nearly zero. Make of that what you will. :)

3) And on familiar, will the cold-blooded ones hibernate or because of their magical properties, stay awake and take a good nap in the PC's warm room?

They adopt sleep schedules similar to the student, but this means extra care, especially in temperature control.

4) Where is the school's vegetable garden? Do we need permission before we could use it?

It is at Capilutza, and yes, you do. :)

5) Do the rich ride floating carriages? I can't imagine them enjoying a carpet-ride without bugs flying into their faces.

Rarely; it's very expensive.

6) Are togas allowed? Please don't ask why.

The priesthood wears togas.

7) Could you show me what formal wear would look like in this world? I am not a great student of history and thus do not know what it looks like.

There is a great deal of fashion in this period, especially in such a cosmopolitan city as Mineta, but this is a decent introduction to real-world Italian fashion of the time period:

http://aneafiles.webs.com/renaissancegallery/italian.html

http://mens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Men's_Fashion_During_the_Renaissance

8) Does the school focus on growing the rarer plants, like Schwarzbart's weed? Just in case something happens to the last living specimen in existence.

No, they have a more practical approach. Rarer plants are grown according to the whims or uses of the Instructors.

What you describe is fairly complex magic. There are other, simpler, ways to do it- but ultimately, hygiene is one area where the Regents prefer you are *sure* to practice it correctly. :)

One question concerning the "Master" spell: What does it do exactly? Is it something overt like changing studets into "puppets" (because I can't imagine anyone not noticing that) or does it make that student want to do what you want them to?

Also, after the spell ends, does the victim know it was mastered? Because then you would found out really quick.

Cyx;

I believe the Master Spell in Y1 causes the subject to feel strongly that they want to do something. It is more manipulation than outright control, at this level.

They don't know that they have been Mastered, but they *do* know they have felt oddly strong about things.

It's not (well) represented in Y1, but using these kinds of Spells is dangerous...and will grow in danger as the Years roll by...:)

So how present is Mastery in the minds of students/Professors? Would quickly suspect being mastered or would they think they were "influenced by the stars" or that "the gods spoke through them" before blaming those urges on Mastery. Because I had the impression that no one wants to talk about Mastery/Gates, so that most students and Professors simply wouldn't know about it.

I'm back! One day of fever can really put you off from surfing the net (People still say that right?)

1) Haha! Me being ten (in-game) does not mean I don't know some words Legate!

2) I just realized that people have already asked this. Sorry.

4) According to the map, that place is kind of small for a vegetable garden isn't it?

5) So what do the rich ride in to avoid bumpy roads?

6) So no toga parties then?smile.gif

7) Oh dear. I think I'll continue to wear my school robes / assassin robes to formal parties. There's just something about tight clothing that makes me uncomfortable.

8) So you are saying we can't mass produce these rare plants to make even powerful wands?

Oh and Cyx, is it? Be careful about what you ask. The walls have ears and the paintings have eyes.wink.gif