Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

I see... on #3, I'm a bit surprised.

I'd have thought that if a gender change prank and negating it was feasible, not to mention a few scenarios where you can greatly increase your size to prevent being washed away, changing your (still human) features seems not too far away in comparison. I mean it's not like I'm not trying to change into a dragon or anything. (though that would be pretty cool...)

Freespace;

Well, your goal is to emulate someone well enough to pass on close inspection as that person- that's much more difficult than those other examples, because you must be exact. If you want to change your features, and don't mind necessarily what the result will be within fairly broad bounds, the problem is easier to solve. :)

Reposting for linking to World of Academagia thread.

Disguise Self to emulate someone with Revision:

It's actually much easier to do that via Glamour, but as you note, close scrutiny is the problem. That kind of Revision is well beyond Year 2, though- that might place in Year 5, or possibly beyond, as changing form via Revision *without dying* is pretty sophisticated stuff.

The goal is to emulate someone well enough to pass on close inspection as that person- that's much more difficult than those other examples, because you must be exact. If you want to change your features, and don't mind necessarily what the result will be within fairly broad bounds, the problem is easier to solve.

Although ships fortunate enough to have a mage on board often make use of magical winds, the large majority of the sailing craft must rely on natural winds and wind currents to get from place to place.

Do I understand it right that even a first year Mage Student with good Incantation can get free passage when he use his magic for wind?

(Its a typical Pen & Paper PRG way to get Passage for free when working for it)

I have a sneaking suspicion that if it is at all possible, my character's nickname in year 5 will be "The Doppelganger", Causing endless mayhem and destroying enemy cliques. hehehehehehe......

Anyway:

1. Even if you don't have a class with your old professors, you'll still be able to interact with them, just like the professors that don't teach any first years in year 1 can still be interacted with, yes?

2. This is a complicated question. My character is an Aranaz student, and for whatever reason, he has his highest marks in Negation. Now, I may be missing something here, but, are specific colleges mostly responsible for the teachings of specific pillars of magic? Will a professor aligned with Durand always teach negation classes? Or are all professors unattached to colleges except the regents? Perhaps I need a better understanding of the organization of the colleges. I'm just worried because if my character keeps going on in Negation, I'm worried about his safety in "Enemy territory". Doubly so if Briardi teaches Advanced Negation. (Though I do think she's awesome, it's in a somewhat scary way!) Year one was where benefit of the doubt is given, not anymore.....

3. I am aware that new players will be treated as transfer students in year 2, I would guess that there might be a few NPC ones as well, but I am mostly concerned with my friends transfering out. Clearly this isn't an issue going into year 2, but do you intend to make it possible "eventually" to make some students drop out?

4. would any professors *not* consider a hair glammour showing your head on fire distracting for their class?

5. How common are magic carpets? I would imagine that would be a pretty low form of transportation when so many other ways to do it.

6. Are there any known ways to communicate with people long distance with magic? I'm thinking something like linked magic mirrors or something.

A quick thought on the revision, if the changes were purely of a cosmetic nature (as in, not having to remove blood vessels, change bone structure...) and just add fleshy padding then the job would surely be easier, right? (Then again, what use is it to look like your twin brother? :P )

Freespace and Adrian;

1. Even if you don't have a class with your old professors, you'll still be able to interact with them, just like the professors that don't teach any first years in year 1 can still be interacted with, yes?

Yep. :)

2. This is a complicated question. My character is an Aranaz student, and for whatever reason, he has his highest marks in Negation. Now, I may be missing something here, but, are specific colleges mostly responsible for the teachings of specific pillars of magic? Will a professor aligned with Durand always teach negation classes? Or are all professors unattached to colleges except the regents? Perhaps I need a better understanding of the organization of the colleges. I'm just worried because if my character keeps going on in Negation, I'm worried about his safety in "Enemy territory". Doubly so if Briardi teaches Advanced Negation. (Though I do think she's awesome, it's in a somewhat scary way!) Year one was where benefit of the doubt is given, not anymore.....

You are right in that Instructors 'aligned' with the Colleges will mostly teach the advanced classes in that subject. It can definitely be a problem if you are working against that Instructor's interests, as they have the increased power to give you demerits and detentions...;)

3. I am aware that new players will be treated as transfer students in year 2, I would guess that there might be a few NPC ones as well, but I am mostly concerned with my friends transfering out. Clearly this isn't an issue going into year 2, but do you intend to make it possible "eventually" to make some students drop out?

As Schwarzbart notes- yep!

4. would any professors *not* consider a hair glammour showing your head on fire distracting for their class?

Haha, hard to say.

5. How common are magic carpets? I would imagine that would be a pretty low form of transportation when so many other ways to do it.

They are not common, but objects enchanted for flying are also seen fairly regularly, and wouldn't cause a stir over any major city.

6. Are there any known ways to communicate with people long distance with magic? I'm thinking something like linked magic mirrors or something.

Yes, there are several, including mirrors. There are some dream sendings, too- I believe you can be taught one in a Background.

*Bonus Question*

A quick thought on the revision, if the changes were purely of a cosmetic nature (as in, not having to remove blood vessels, change bone structure...) and just add fleshy padding then the job would surely be easier, right? (Then again, what use is it to look like your twin brother? )

...sure...but that's where the *without dying* part comes in. Renaissance knowledge of the body is...incomplete. ;)

Is a female Prince a Princess? I am not thinking the child of a king here, rather the leader of a piece of land. A female merchant Prince is really a Princess? Is that right? :huh:

Also the revision talk, there is an event where you turn your feet into satyr hooves, or you can at least. I never wrote the event down so can't say where to look - but the roll was quite easy if memory serves - despite the bone and blood vessels :P (*hides*) I look forward to year 2 more and more (hopes for a successful flattery roll):)

Adrian;

You are right, a Princess. :)

Turning a part of your body into something else (hooves) for instance, is fine if it is general (you are not being specific about what it looks like, broadly). This is because of a linking effect in Revision which makes this easier. It's when you become very specific that you begin to see dangerous issues. :)

My only concern with future years regarding NPCs dropping out is that my area of focus is not social issues. I would like to know if there would be some system that would warn you of impending failure of at least members of your clique to stay in. I'm sure that in real life you would have some forewarning and then hopefully be able to spend some effort in fixing it.

Also.

I noticed that "beginner's dispel", and "dispel" have the same phemes, which is only one. Dispel. Is this supposed to represent a growth in ability with the spell, as opposed to two unique spells?

Freespace;

Yes and no; some Students will be more open about any issues they are facing, whereas others...you won't know about unless you dig a bit. Still in flux, though- we'll see how much of the balance lies in mechanics vs. Player actions. Clearly, you have a preference. :)

It's a little more complicated than that, although the short answer is 'growth in ability'. Although in Y1 the only thing you are able to tinker with are Phemes, Spells have several more components. When you 'learn' a Spell, you are learning a framework someone else has established, within which you can modify the Phemes. In this case, while both only require the Dispel Pheme, there are several other (hidden) differences between the two.

I see. Hopefully we'll get to see a bit more of the innerworkings in year 2!

by the way, since it's possible to aquire some swords (Or at least the one that I have) will there be a sword-usage skill in the future? I know that doesn't neccesarily go together with wizarding, but you guys certainly have put together an insane amount of non-traditional wizardlike skills to go in the game, so I think it's fair game for a subskill somewhere.

And do wells work? I mean is there ground water? I'm curious on how that works.

Also, regarding matter, I'm unfamiliar with real life ancient knowledge, but I'm sure that during the Renaissance they had no idea of radioactive elements for example, but there are other elements that were discovered later like helium, which have a known property in modern times. My question is, do they even have a periodic table yet, and if they do, what elements do they know/not know of?

Finally, Will we see some "rival" archtypes show up in the future? I think it would be a great idea to introduce a specific person or two to compete with the player character in some fields that the PC is greatest in.

Freespace;

Yeah, actually the sword arts were removed from Y1- hopefully they will be back in Y2.

There is ground water, depending on rainfall.

There is no periodic table of the elements in this era, unfortunately.

Rival archetypes are a great idea. There's an advancement in that area in Y2, but it's not as directed as what you imply, however. Still, it would be very cool. :)

Cool! (I just love that word.)

1. Are there any spells that would allow you to make a (Ideally perfect) copy of something? Say... A key, or a walking stick? And if such items are enchanted, would that spell copy the enchantments, or would you have to re-enchant the new item?

2. Is it common for shops to follow the "Brisbane" strategy of contractually obligating successors to carry the name of the shop and keep it going? And in Brisbane the 8th's case, is that an official title, or does even his family call him that?

3. The Fantasia short, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." Has that specific scenario ever happened? in theory, can it happen?

Freespace;

For your questions:

1. Are there any spells that would allow you to make a (Ideally perfect) copy of something? Say... A key, or a walking stick? And if such items are enchanted, would that spell copy the enchantments, or would you have to re-enchant the new item?

Yes, although difficult. It's possible to copy Enchantments, too- just adds to the difficulty. :)

2. Is it common for shops to follow the "Brisbane" strategy of contractually obligating successors to carry the name of the shop and keep it going? And in Brisbane the 8th's case, is that an official title, or does even his family call him that?

Not common, no. As for Brisbane, you'll you have to find out...

3. The Fantasia short, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." Has that specific scenario ever happened? in theory, can it happen?

I imagine it has happened, yes- it's definitely possible to do something similar.

Nyaa;

Ha! ;)

I'm curious.

1. Are there any "sealing" spells, for ghosts? Kind of like Ghostbusters traps?

2. Is there a way to remove a persons ability to use any magic? Pernanently?

3. Is there any form of weather prediction? Or can I just suddenly douse Mineta with a couple feet of rain in a day and nobody be the wiser?

4. Enchanting a snowman to move around likely isn't too hard, but what about enchanting a hat which would allow a snowman to move around when placed upon it's head? And what would happen if said enchanted hat was placed on another living person's head?

5. Is it common to enchant animals to fly while pulling a sleigh? say reindeer?

Freespace;

Sure:

1. Are there any "sealing" spells, for ghosts? Kind of like Ghostbusters traps?

No. Well, nothing legal. :)

2. Is there a way to remove a persons ability to use any magic? Pernanently?

No, not permanently.

3. Is there any form of weather prediction? Or can I just suddenly douse Mineta with a couple feet of rain in a day and nobody be the wiser?

Yes, there is- and changing the weather is generally pretty easy to find out.

4. Enchanting a snowman to move around likely isn't too hard, but what about enchanting a hat which would allow a snowman to move around when placed upon it's head? And what would happen if said enchanted hat was placed on another living person's head?

You could definitely do this- placing the hat on a living person's head would (probably) do nothing. It depends on your Enchantment, however.

5. Is it common to enchant animals to fly while pulling a sleigh? say reindeer?

Haha, no. Enchanting living things to fly is pretty difficult in any event. :)

I was curious, the creature summoned through gates do they show signs of civilization? Do they wear clothes, monocles, top hats or the likes? - If not is this suspected to be due to lack of civilization or due to the summons only bringing the creature and not it's possessions?

(And will I get into trouble for my continued interest in this subject? - Be assured that it is purely for ethical defendable reasons I ask! *cough*)

I am naturally not thinking of the Bees or whatever small insect-like that we may accidentally summon when sneezing in the wrong part of school (Surely this has happened to others than me!) but rather creature/monster-sized beings.

So why is all ghost research tied so closely to Gates?

I can understand summoning ghosts from the afterlife or so, sure,

But putting a ghost into something which to me seems like a box warded to prevent ghostly escape doesn't evoke that Gates image, and even if it somehow was tied to Gates, that particular act doesn't seem prone to the dangerous "random" factor that most of Gates seems vulnerable too. Did they just decide to throw the baby out with the bathwater here?

Also, Can a person "incant" a ghost-like item? or is that only glammour? I want something that won't dissapear when you pass through it.