Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Who is the tallest girl in the year? I'm assuming Joana or Honors, but assumptions always come back to bite, I fear.

It's a bit hard to tell with chest up portraits... are any of the students considered, well, quite overweight? What about very thin?

The war about mining rights (or trade rights?)- how long did it go on before it's recent ending? Am I remembering correctly that it was an extremely bloody/ugly war?

The Brother's War- was there ever a time when things looked like they were going to get a lot less civil and perhaps break out in to something much worse? How long has that war been going on? (I need an excuse for a certain mercenary brat to have visited there, you see.)

Is there any equivalent to some of the Celtic states? I'm specifically thinking Ireland, but Scottland, Wales, Cornwell and Brittany would also work. The language and art forms (music, especially) are what I'm really looking for.

I meant Vlad being considered mad now. Comparing him to Hitler would be unfair. He's more like the Punisher. Romanians think he's a hero.

Ah so Academagia is the strongest magical force there. Does Orso have to report to anyone like the guard or the Captain? Or are they more independent?

Meh, I see what you're saying but I stand by my analysis. A lot of germans respected hitler too. He was elected democratically and pretty much rebuilt the entire german economy from ruin. He also "punished" a lot of people, and many of the "punished" were completely innocent.

bad topics aside, Is there a picture of a student wearing the optional cape on their uniform?

Everyone:

Q: Who is the tallest girl in the year? I'm assuming Joana or Honors, but assumptions always come back to bite, I fear.

Excellent question, I don't know- I'll need to check with the Team. :)

Q: It's a bit hard to tell with chest up portraits... are any of the students considered, well, quite overweight? What about very thin?

Another one I'll defer to the Team. ;)

Q: The war about mining rights (or trade rights?)- how long did it go on before it's recent ending? Am I remembering correctly that it was an extremely bloody/ugly war?

It went on for 6 years. It was a very uncivilized war, yes.

Q: The Brother's War- was there ever a time when things looked like they were going to get a lot less civil and perhaps break out in to something much worse? How long has that war been going on? (I need an excuse for a certain mercenary brat to have visited there, you see.)

There have been several war scares- in recent memory, one became so dangerous that the Duke of Breuil, who guarantees the throne, intervened and fought a limited war against an independent company of Monteon mercenaries. The 'war' has been going on now for about 10 years.

Q: Is there any equivalent to some of the Celtic states? I'm specifically thinking Ireland, but Scottland, Wales, Cornwell and Brittany would also work. The language and art forms (music, especially) are what I'm really looking for.

All of them have survived, but only 'Scotland' is very large. 'Ireland' and 'Wales' are chains of very small islands. 'Cornwall' and 'Brittany' can be seen on the Elumian map, actually.

Q: Ah so Academagia is the strongest magical force there. Does Orso have to report to anyone like the guard or the Captain? Or are they more independent?

Orso reports to the Regents, and the Regents report to the Emperor. As there is no Emperor, they technically report to the Captain of Mineta, but that's a formality which is rarely observed.

Q: bad topics aside, Is there a picture of a student wearing the optional cape on their uniform?

I believe only in concept art.

Q: Ooo, and what color is the optional cape? I assume it's different for all collages, to allow the younger students to be recongized easier on rainy days? Or does it just have the Academagia emblem on it or something?

I'm not completely certain. Each College had their own design and color. I've been meaning to collate all that for your viewing pleasure- if I can dig up those concepts for you, I will. :)

1. So if a mage is discovered to be a mastery and gates user and has to run, how often do they run to places like Oursouk? And is there a "border patrol" looking for such people trying to escape justice?

2. If learning from the mad mages is not possible, would they be likely to interfere with an independent non-mad mage doing his own research? (assuming of course that their interests do not clash.)

3. If a person made an enchanted whatever item to wear that would force a person to do move involuntarily, is that a subset of mastery? Or still enchantment?

4. Since dragons taught humans most magic, and it epically backfired on them, do they allow humans to use magic in the lands they still control?

5. Do older calculators exist? (abacus, slide rules) and if so, how common are they?

6. Do people use roman or arabic numerals or something else completely (and what do they use on clockfaces)

7. And finally, How long would it take for a year 5 to, A: incant a cool-looking sword, B: enchant a cool-looking lightning spell on it, C: Have it revised to expand when unsheathed and vice versa while not getting heavier, D: Use astrology so that the odds of hitting something with it are near certain when used, E: Glammour it to make it appear as though it had a legion of damned souls in it, and F: allow it to "Negate" any reasonable magic defenses it might encounter? G: Make it as permanent as possible?

(and also, as a separate question, what about doing all that, and making the sword turn anyone it cuts into mindless slaves and able to "cut" air into a portal to some safe-zone that was pre-set up.)

Nyaa;

Thanks! I meant more about the colors and designs on the cloaks. :)

Freespace:

1. So if a mage is discovered to be a mastery and gates user and has to run, how often do they run to places like Oursouk? And is there a "border patrol" looking for such people trying to escape justice?

They will run anywhere they can go- Oursouk, in generally, is not hospitable to Elumians, but there isn't really a border patrol, no.

2. If learning from the mad mages is not possible, would they be likely to interfere with an independent non-mad mage doing his own research? (assuming of course that their interests do not clash.)

Hard to say. They're mad. :)

3. If a person made an enchanted whatever item to wear that would force a person to do move involuntarily, is that a subset of mastery? Or still enchantment?

Involuntary movement is possible from the other Pillars, it's not Mastery exclusive. The difference is in how Mastery makes them move (via control of the mind). Note also that Enchantment is the process of placing a magical effect on an item- but the magical effect still has an origin, whether Mastery or otherwise.

4. Since dragons taught humans most magic, and it epically backfired on them, do they allow humans to use magic in the lands they still control?

Yes, their retainers are allowed to do so.

5. Do older calculators exist? (abacus, slide rules) and if so, how common are they?

Abacuses are in wide spread use.

6. Do people use roman or arabic numerals or something else completely (and what do they use on clockfaces)

Roman, in Elumia. However, Arabic numerals are becoming more and more often used, due to their greater utility.

7. And finally, How long would it take for a year 5 to, A: incant a cool-looking sword, B: enchant a cool-looking lightning spell on it, C: Have it revised to expand when unsheathed and vice versa while not getting heavier, D: Use astrology so that the odds of hitting something with it are near certain when used, E: Glammour it to make it appear as though it had a legion of damned souls in it, and F: allow it to "Negate" any reasonable magic defenses it might encounter? G: Make it as permanent as possible?

(and also, as a separate question, what about doing all that, and making the sword turn anyone it cuts into mindless slaves and able to "cut" air into a portal to some safe-zone that was pre-set up.)

Bahaha! The answer is: it depends on the Student. :)

For most, even above average Students, such a thing would not be possible. Furthermore, the Quality of the Weapon would have to be extremely high. Whether or no it will be possible for your Character...we'll see. :)

So Oursouk mages are not only mad, but unpredictible to that point? I would think that most mad people would tend to follow a pattern that you could at least use to avoid them, but meh.

but it is not *entirely* out of the realm of possibility to make the sword? Then I am content. I was thinking that the legal version would make a nice "senior project" to show off my character's super skills. I wouldn't mind toning it down a few notches though.

Oh, and another question while I'm at it, among the equippable items are cloaks. The school doesn't have a problem with a student wearing something that potentially could cover up their uniform?

Thanks! I meant more about the colors and designs on the cloaks. :)

Yes, I'm assuming it's the same design as the collage emblem and the collage color in the list.

2. Is learning from the mad mages not possible?

I would say, depend on how high your Madness skill is.

Note: There's no madness skill.

Freespace;

What Nyaa said! :)

For your question:

"Oh, and another question while I'm at it, among the equippable items are cloaks. The school doesn't have a problem with a student wearing something that potentially could cover up their uniform?"

It depends on your Instructor- some are more strict than others about the uniform. In general, as long as what you are wearing doesn't annoy your teachers...you're probably OK wearing it. :)

1. Given the tech level, I'm curious. Do older siege weapons exist? (Catapults & Onagers, Rams, Trebuchets?)

2. What is the real difference between a shade and a ghost like Pamela? I think "evil" when I hear shade, but meh.

3. Do calculators like the Antikythera mechanism exist?

4. I assume that every year the colleges will have 2 classes that are picked for you. I notice from Aranaz anyway one of the first year classes were not seemingly tied to the college's specialty. I understand not wanting to tell us future classes, but can you at least tell us the method of how classes are chosen? History is fine as a "proper education class, but I would rather not be forced to attend a class like home ec or "critical thinking"

5. I know you said something to the effect that the reward would be greater if you stayed in the same college for the whole time, but will there be some kind of joke prize for someone who shifted to a completely different college each year?

6. Say a person had a heart attack. How would magic be used to save that person, who isn't dead yet, and to me at least could likely be saved without trying to negate death and dealing with that annoying cost.

7. So enchanting is not really a pillar in and of itself, but a way of infusing spells of actual pillars into an item? How is this different then to simply casting a spell on an item?

8. One of my tertiary goals overall is to create a kind of "secret society" type clique, of students who would be able to pull crazy pranks off but go completely (or at least mostly) under the radar. Even if one of us would be suspected of being the kind to pull it off, they wouldn't expect all of us to be involved. I've chosen Emilia Strollin and Tabin Furentzi so far, but I am concerned about adding classmates from other colleges. I've got an eye on a few that are still cliqueless and my main concern is just how bad are inter-college politics going to interfere with my super plan, and would it be worth gathering a multi-college student coalition-clique so nobody would believe we work together?

9. Would it be possible to use an advanced glammour to create a "ghost" with a large number of "programmed" responses to queries? Enough to fool less observant students that it might have been real?

10. What fruit does a chocolate fruit resemble?

11. Can magic be used as an auto-translator between two people in real time for say diplomatic perposes?

12. Is there any military plan in place for a full scale dragon invasion across the wall or otherwise? (Evacuations, conscriptions, etc.)

13. If mayor of Mineta is mostly a cush job with relatively little responsibility or prestige, then would mages have a higher chance of aquiring that kind of role as compared to a high ruler somewhere?

14. Are there student organizations? (student council president, treasurer, etc.) and are there any clubs?

15. Are there any items like Bags of holding from D&D?

Freespace;

For your questions:

1. Given the tech level, I'm curious. Do older siege weapons exist? (Catapults & Onagers, Rams, Trebuchets?)

Not really, no. Perhaps as curiosities.

2. What is the real difference between a shade and a ghost like Pamela? I think "evil" when I hear shade, but meh.

This is something you must research. :)

3. Do calculators like the Antikythera mechanism exist?

Yes, and significantly more advanced. They figure into the practice of Astrology.

4. I assume that every year the colleges will have 2 classes that are picked for you. I notice from Aranaz anyway one of the first year classes were not seemingly tied to the college's specialty. I understand not wanting to tell us future classes, but can you at least tell us the method of how classes are chosen? History is fine as a "proper education class, but I would rather not be forced to attend a class like home ec or "critical thinking"

I think that both of Aranaz's classes figures into its specialty. They are necessary for the more advanced classes. :)

As to how they are selected, it's determined by the Regents.

5. I know you said something to the effect that the reward would be greater if you stayed in the same college for the whole time, but will there be some kind of joke prize for someone who shifted to a completely different college each year?

No clue, but it sounds like a great idea. :)

6. Say a person had a heart attack. How would magic be used to save that person, who isn't dead yet, and to me at least could likely be saved without trying to negate death and dealing with that annoying cost.

Medicine, and internal medical magic, despite many advances, is not as advanced as necessary to treat this 100%. Almost certainly the physician would attempt Revision magics to try to restore the patient to their natural or original state. If the practitioner is sufficiently advanced, it can work.

7. So enchanting is not really a pillar in and of itself, but a way of infusing spells of actual pillars into an item? How is this different then to simply casting a spell on an item?

Longevity, primarily.

8. One of my tertiary goals overall is to create a kind of "secret society" type clique, of students who would be able to pull crazy pranks off but go completely (or at least mostly) under the radar. Even if one of us would be suspected of being the kind to pull it off, they wouldn't expect all of us to be involved. I've chosen Emilia Strollin and Tabin Furentzi so far, but I am concerned about adding classmates from other colleges. I've got an eye on a few that are still cliqueless and my main concern is just how bad are inter-college politics going to interfere with my super plan, and would it be worth gathering a multi-college student coalition-clique so nobody would believe we work together?

It's hard to say. It could interfere, and it could not- much will depend on how well you keep your Clique together.

9. Would it be possible to use an advanced glammour to create a "ghost" with a large number of "programmed" responses to queries? Enough to fool less observant students that it might have been real?

Definitely. :)

10. What fruit does a chocolate fruit resemble?

A good question! I don't know, but it makes me hungry. A pear, maybe? :)

11. Can magic be used as an auto-translator between two people in real time for say diplomatic perposes?

Yes, if the practitioner is sufficiently advanced.

12. Is there any military plan in place for a full scale dragon invasion across the wall or otherwise? (Evacuations, conscriptions, etc.)

If there is, it's not public knowledge.

13. If mayor of Mineta is mostly a cush job with relatively little responsibility or prestige, then would mages have a higher chance of aquiring that kind of role as compared to a high ruler somewhere?

In general, mages are forbidden from public office. This varies, however. In Mineta, it is the case.

14. Are there student organizations? (student council president, treasurer, etc.) and are there any clubs?

Yes, several. You will see them in Year 2. :)

15. Are there any items like Bags of holding from D&D?

Yes, however they are illegal, as they require Gates magic in their construction.

Freespace;

From the Content Team! :)

"The basic morphology is fairly pomegranate-like, though individual pieces of fruit are often more whimsical.

It's actually believed in certain botanical circles that chocolate fruit trees started out as vicious, man-eating predators that lured small children close with the promise of the fruit - which would be subtly reshaped by the preferences of any given child - and then pulled the kids underground with thrashing, tentacle-like roots. But, happily, all the chocolate trees have been dormant and safe for ages, thanks to the intervention of a particularly clever Familiar rabbit named Pizzo (his wizard's name is lost to history) in 1422."

Because you don't want to be the one to wake them up inadvertently!

"Who is that kid with the scar? - 'the boy who lived' or something" *chuckle*

"Sort of, he did live but only after waking up the chocolate tree who then beat him within an inch of his life..."

"THAT is the moron who woke up the trees? What say you we finish what the plant did not?!"

I'm just saying...

I couldn't help but notice (so forgive me): AHA! The plant is something of a shapeshifter! Or is it? It may have been... But any theories on HOW it changed itself? Some instinctive magic or could it weave phemes with its leaves? ;)

We'll find out for sure when [redacted] is [redacted] to [redacted]. ;)

1. Do different gemstones have different magical qualities/attributes?

2. Steam powered airships, how do they move? Since air is much less dense than water, I am envisioning one gigantic propeller maybe twice or even triple the size of the ship. Is this correct?

3. Are there magics for recording events for playback (I'm thinking like a glammour holo recording)

4. Given the dangers of water, and creatures that live in them, and the fear of running water, do people use regular boats at all when they might be useful? (say, fishing in a lake.)

5. Which would be easier to change the taste of something really bland? Revision or glammour? (just whatever helps get it down the hatch.)