Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Is the rivalry between colleges considered important by most students?

In the Aranaz and Durand, Aranaz took it much more seriously, but it's the only one in which we see it to a larger extent. The Avila/Godina is only exemplified by an event (Avila only) and some lore that suggests Godina doesn't care very much about it but that Avila is very ...passionate in the whole affair. And on Vernin/Morvidus I don't recall much going on but I haven't played as one of them in some time. I would simply say that having the whole college of Morvidus as rivals would make me drop out of school.

I know it's only the first year and that the second year might show more of it, but what is the impact of it on the students? Do they hate and bully each other on principle or are they willing to work together? Do most of them acknowledge it? What do the professors think of it? I can't imagine Professor di Lucca Alazzo agreeing with it much and Professor Storey seems a bit too strict for it, so they would get along. We already know what von Rupprecht thinks of Briardi and vice versa. I also don't imagine Badcrumble seeing eye to eye with Massioti but does it stretch to disagreements?

If Avila is the 'girl' college does that make Godina the 'boy' one?

What are the relationships between professors like? Do most get along or pretend to get along at least?

Mad;

Rivalry isn't considered too important in Year 1, but there are a few Students who are interested in it...you can usually see them Competing. Rivalry will probably be at its strongest in Years 2-4, and, depending on the Students involved, it can make for some drama in a multi-College Clique.

Professors, in general, tend to encourage it, for reasons unknown- even the ones whom you would expect would frown on it.

There is no boy College, per se. Avila was girls-only in the past, and certain people would like it to return to that, however...;)

The Professors do a 'good' job of pretending to get along, yes. ;)

That was a sweet tidbit of infomation there on the volnauge tree! Are there islands who make most their money on volnauge tree chopping and growing? (and which? just a single tiny name?)

Conserning the professors, some certainly act better than others! *coughs. Looks around. shifts away from the Aranaz collage*

This reminds me of the my high school teacher's lounge...

I used to sneak in for cake and coffee when I had to do hall duty. You could hear massive arguments (ahem...debates) inside that were suddenly and suspiciously quieted when kids were around. Do they encourage it for, say, competition reasons? Like teaching them to be more ambitious? Or is it just to gloat about their colleges? Maybe a mixture. I could see the benefit of giving students something to do rather than go and make trouble outside of the school. Granted, Orsi probably sees it as good fun.

About Godina, I meant more as say, opposites. Most of Avila is sort of feminine and 'safeish' even with the boys. Compared to Godina's athletics and the fact that even most of the girls seem tomboyish I would suggest that that's where the rivalry would start. Morvidus also seems more natural based to Vernin's industrial. Hedi doesn't have a lot of reasons to be rivals seeing as their speciality is diplomacy, so their lack of rivals is understood. I guess I'm just trying to see a pattern as to why the rivalries started in the first place.

Would the teachers put a stop to it if it got too far? Would Orsi?

Adrian

You have to admit, though, that Sixt would be an awesome person to have as mentor, as long as you're always expecting a knife in the back. I'll be surprised if none of his students develop paranoia.

Nice info on volnauge! I'm glad I asked that. I imagine then, that riding on an iron-clad airship would be quite comfortable since with all that extra mass it would be harder for turbulence to affect it. I assume that the wood floats at the elevation that it grew in as opposed to simply being cut at.

Still, volnauge must surely grow in plenty of places. Do people build smaller yacht-like airships that don't carry cargo, though could be used for smaller trips, yet could also be a makeshift one-person home when not in use?

Oh, and is the extreme expense of enchanted airships in the materials for enchanting, or that mages are highly paid for that sort of thing? or that it's insanely hard and it just takes lots of time to do it?

I confess I love the idea of airships. I'd love to have my character own a smallish one for a summer vacation in the last year, that'd be pretty badass.

Freespace;

"I assume that the wood floats at the elevation that it grew in as opposed to simply being cut at."

You are right. :)

Volnague does grow in many places, but the secret of its cultivation is only known to the Compagnie de Meril; everyone else has to make do with carefully husbanded 'wild' groves and woods. Still, there is enough wood sent out in the yearly shipments from the Compagnie that someone with enough wealth can purchase a 'yacht'. Airships are generally speaking fairly common over the more populous and wealthy cities.

Enchantment, as a rule, is expensive- so that factors in, too. :)

Yes. but in theory, couldn't a senior student do any enchanting or other minor work as to drive the total cost of such a thing down? or is such work only allowed in shipyards?

Speaking of which, where are the major shipyards? Obviously any major population center has a port, but shipyards are another thing entirely.

Freespace;

There are major shipyards in each set of islands; the Isle of Mineta has two: one on Stazione Marittima and the other at Giardo (where they also make ships from rock.)

Shipyards don't usually contract from the University for enchanting work; the results can be unstable. If you were to custom make your own ship, though, you could certainly ask whomever you wish to help you. :)

Rock ships!!? Whoah!! Are we talking generic *Rock* rock, or cut masonwork out of marble or granite or something similar?

And out of sheer curiousity, WHY do they make rock ships? IT'S SO AWESOME AN IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freespace;

Cut rock, actually- there are two shipyards that make stone vessels commonly: Giardo and Cassatta. Some rock very rarely weakly exhibits similar properties to volnauge wood- they float at the height where they were cut.

In the very early days of the Exile, Mankind was only ever able to make stone ships, and volnauge only grew on the Onyx Isles. This changed, however, when the New Gods brought saplings to Elumia. Stone ships cannot hold very much weight, and are slow sailors to boot. These days, the primary reason to continue to craft them (besides the fact that they are cheaper) is as battlefield support, since they are naturally armored.

Do the more advanced classes at the Academagia tend to thin out? I imagine that master-level negation wouldn't be as popular a class as basic negation, or do they balance out the fewer students by combining years and/or only teach such classes every other year to increase demand?

And if there was an unfortunate incident that, say, caused a chain reaction that made half of the school to get kicked out, will we be stuck with empty classes in future years or will we see an increase of transfer students to compensate?

Freespace;

It does thin out, yes, especially at the extremes. Very advanced Classes aren't taught in the normal way, though, as you will see. ;)

If half the Student body is kicked out, then your Classes will be very empty indeed. I don't believe there will be any transfers apart from new Characters you create and a handful of possible exceptions that depend, somewhat, on your Adventures.

1. What are the typical occupations that graduates might hold? Does it vary from college to college?

2. Since as far as I can tell, (and rember reading somewhere) the colleges were all founded seperately. Were the first colleges at the site orginally competitors before unifying into the campus we know and love today? And what was required of the later colleges to be accepted into the fold?

3. Obviously it's possible to learn about all the pillars, but how common is it for a mage to be relatively equal in knowledge across the board? From the college setup, I'd say it's more common to master one pillar and have lesser knowledge in the others, but that just might be the ideal setup for teaching and not neccessarily a good example.

Freespace:

1. What are the typical occupations that graduates might hold? Does it vary from college to college?

It varies too much to really describe, but certain occupations are probably more popular with one College versus another, simply due to classwork and other training.

2. Since as far as I can tell, (and rember reading somewhere) the colleges were all founded seperately. Were the first colleges at the site orginally competitors before unifying into the campus we know and love today? And what was required of the later colleges to be accepted into the fold?

No, the Colleges came to be more or less as housing was needed for prospective Students, or through the grants of emperors, kings and prelates. They really only began to formally differ from one another much later.

3. Obviously it's possible to learn about all the pillars, but how common is it for a mage to be relatively equal in knowledge across the board? From the college setup, I'd say it's more common to master one pillar and have lesser knowledge in the others, but that just might be the ideal setup for teaching and not neccessarily a good example.

You are correct- it's pretty rare to be a jack of all trades, but it does happen from time to time.

With as many Imperial decrees out there as it may be, what are the odds of there being one that would allow the the bearer of an official copy the right to use forbidden magic?

I only ask because I had a thought occur to me that if such a thing actually existed, it would probably be the most counterfeited document ever, and that if a person tried to use one, they would be admitting to using said magic and thus have no legal footing when the document turns out to be a phony.

In fact, that is such a damning idea, I'm curious on whether law enforcement ever intentionally releases such phony documents even if there isn't an actual official decree. Although if there was one, it would make for a lot more gullible people. hehehe.

Awlrighty, I'll remember to do that in year 2 ;)

Is it possible to mix/match spell types for increased effectiveness, or is that impractical?

Example1: mix water and fire spells to make steam. (or is it better to just make steam directly?)

Example2: douse something with water and THEN zap it.. mwahaha (just easier to zap them dry?)

Example3: use a fear inducing glammour then master them. (Would that even be feasible?)