Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

So the best answer is "It is highly contextual" :)

That seems a really old-fashioned way to do it, which is no surprise given the setting, but I like that.

Aside from deciding legality of certain magics, Does the government regulate (ie, tax by permits) wizarding like other services, or is it largely free from that form of beaurocracy?

Yeah, someone has to pay for all the new carriages.... I mean, magic is too dangerous so we need to "regulate" it, yeah....

Are there any tiny islands in Elumia that are unsettled due to them being way too small for more than a camp or something to be put there?

You should have seen CremePudding use eldritch abomination.wink.gif

Anybody has any idea what Philippe would do (that would not be counted as bullying) to someone who has accidentally pantsed and then spilled milk onto his underwear? Just thinking out loud...

Leoshi;

Here is the answer:

"Jere. Hands down, top of the class, Jere. They're not good puns, but he puts a lot of heart into them.

Lambert Cobo, mostly when he wants to annoy Aymeri. Herbert Downes. Neso Ulleri, oddly enough. Luti Jaconelli (every once in a while - then he catches himself and is annoyed by the dorkishness of it all).

It's probably most visible in College Aranaz, to von Rupprecht's ongoing dismay; the kids there are very verbal, very competitive, and playful in odd ways; conversations between Basia and Rikildis are probably occasionally loopy with word games. That said, Courtenay de Surval and Milena di Montors may be the standouts in the College, but mostly exclusively with each other. It's not quite flirting, but they have a common love of reading and language, and that has a way of coming out. :)"

Ah, Poor Von Rupprecht.

I'd almost feel sorry for him if he wasn't so much.. Like himself.. He's his own archtype! :)

He's a Beary unBearably Bear of a person! :)

(Yeah, I read tvtropes too..)

~deeeetentiooon~

(At least I'll have someone to keep me company)

Also, concerning familiars, I realize that one may simply drop in your lap and refuse to leave your side... but how do most people find their familiars? various random encounters? Actively looking for them/looking for a pet?

Do most students have familiars before they arrive at the school? (I realize our year all had familiars, but I am thinking that may in part be due to engine restrictions). In procent, how many have found their familiar at the age of 10? ;)

Adrian;

I'd say most mages find their Familiar almost immediately upon learning magic the first time. Wealthier families will purchase what they would like to be the child's Familiar and send it along with them when they are first tutored. Those without wealth gain their Familiars by chance or circumstance.

It would be very rare for a Student to arrive at the Academagia without a Familiar, although it is possible.

A question about that. Pamela then, is clearly a familiar that the player "acquires" after arriving on the campus.

From what I can tell Poor Pam has been a familiar to a few students already before meeting the player. Is there anything stopping familiars from joining to wizard after wizard then? I suppose if most die with the wizard it would be rather difficult to do but for Pam, the doll, and *cough* a certain rock there's nothing preventing a long chain of wizard-familiar relationships, yes?

Kinda gives you a moment of pause.. Are there any familiars that are suspected to have been around for a rediculously long time? Maybe 1000 years? I couldn't imagine what that would be like....

And on a separate but related note, will we (with digging, I presume) get to discover what familiars our favorite professors have? I confess I Imagine Von Rupprecht with a weasel. And maybe Briardi would have a Ferret. I need to know one way or another to put my mind at ease.... :)

...And I seriously hope to see an Ant Familiar. Think of the possibilities! ;)

Freespace;

The Instructor Familiars are unknown; they don't make them public. A few of them you may have already met, however...;)

There are some very old Familiars, yes, and they are very prized. And then, there's Pamela. ;)

For people who have gotten their Zoology up to level 5 and unlocked Improved Familiar Handling, is it possible for them to make a career out of training familiars and selling them to new Academy students and/or wizards who have recently lost their familiars? So that the new owners only need to increase the Bond levels (and not have to train their skill levels as well), which I imagine would be worth paying a significant sum for.

For people who have gotten their Zoology up to level 5 and unlocked Improved Familiar Handling, is it possible for them to make a career out of training familiars and selling them to new Academy students and/or wizards who have recently lost their familiars? So that the new owners only need to increase the Bond levels (and not have to train their skill levels as well), which I imagine would be worth paying a significant sum for.

DAMN good idea!!! Even better, would there be a place that has said familiar trainers that you would pay to do the training of your familiar for you?