Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Exactly what are the tell-tale signs that a person is being controlled by mastery? Sure Negation can detect it, but there'd need to be a reason to use a negation check in the first place. Do Mastery victims get that vacant stare? Verbal tics, or no?

Oh, yeah!! While on Rimbal, how do they choose the members of the team that represents the Academy as a whole? Do they pick the best players of the individual college teams, or do they accept students who aren't necessarily on one of the college teams?

2. Will we get to see mundane hypnosis techniques? (You're getting sleeeepy! )

Great idea! :)

I wonder how fare spread hypnosis is and what the common useses are.

Is Hypnosis allowed at all or will it fall under the Mastery Bann.

How about Glamour assisted Hypnosis, can Glamour make it easyer to hypnotism someone and if so how fare will we go toward the forbiden line of Mastery then? ^^

About the uses of hypnosis is it mostly used just for Show or also to Heal "Minds" after Mastery is forbiden (and even if it would be allowed it would be to expensive).

Freespace;

Other than odd behavior, there are no tell-tale signs of Mastery. Usually, though, it's obvious that *something* is wrong, if you know the person in question well enough. You may not leap to the conclusion that it's Mastery, though. The All-Academagia Team is drawn from the College Teams.

Mikka;

I don't know- I'll ask. ;)

Schwarzbart;

As a mundane technique, it's 'allowed', although probably viewed with suspicion. Glamour can definitely improve it, and isn't illegal...although, again, suspicious. It's mostly for show, but I imagine it is also used to heal minds and curb behaviors.

1. So... I named my main character after myself. (Vanity, I know...) Anyway, with that being a decidedly English sounding name, I'm curious if that would be rare in Mineta? I ask because I didn't choose any default background for heritage, so I'm actually slightly concerned about breaking my suspension of disbelief. If that is a concern, will we be able to rectify that somehow?

2. Are tomatoes considered poisonous in this setting? I know they aren't actually, but since in real life there were concerns about them being poisonous due to being related to solanaceae in general, I am curious here.

3. Historically, whenever the Dragons invaded and a few managed to get past the wall, what are their observed tendencies? Do they stay in packs? Fly solo? Do they raze villages just for the lulz? Or do they aim to subjugate population centers? Have they been seen using magic that scholars can't identify? Or are they very secretive of such a thing? Do they favor any particular pillar or do they vary as much as human specialties? I assume that Dragons would have no reservations on using Mastery or Gates..... Have Dragons seem to be subject to Gate's CF? (Chaos factor)

4. Regarding Dragon's retainers, Have they ever been known to leave Dragon controlled lands to spy on Elumia?

5. So, say that the Dragons invade by force, and a mage winds up on their lonesome fending one off... Say on an airship. If that mage resorted to emergency use of Gates Magic to "defeat" the Dragon, would the crew of the ship be likely to keep quiet about that in thanks, or is that still viewed a violation worth death? I know what the law says, I'm interested in what people would do. Is that magic such a horror that in such a circumstance people would still call for the mages' head? (generally speaking, of course. I know that results in such a situation would vary... heavily.)

6. If telegraph has been invented then there must be some way to generate electricty. How do they typically do that in this era?

7. What's the biggest lake known in Elumia? Could you give us a real world analogy for it?

8. OK, so This is a theoretical question for insight into a familiar.... You could say I'm just looking for approval on a backstory... Say You had a rock that was nigh invulnerable, could speak to it's owner but made little sense, could roll around and had a knack for locating it's owner in remarkably fast fashion. Could such a thing be created? I want Mr Pebbles to give the vibe of being a magical accident gone bad, and I figure if a black chicken could be made out of a pillow, I figure this is not too much...? Of course, In that stupid rock's case, the magic *seems* to be very old, regenerating, and un-negatable too. Just checking.

9. Is there an equivalent to the North Star and if so what is it's name?

10. I'm kind of stuck on the student's adventure with mr. Pebbles, so I'm starting to work on the familiar's adventure. Just to be clear, the idea is to use the familiar's skills instead of the students, right? Well, Since Mr. Pebbles is not a familiar that a lot of people would care to train. (indeed, I want him downright pathetic next to my Pamela) I was thinking of having an adventure with him that had pathetically low rolls, and "rewarded" the player with something like losing 10 vitality points and probably some stress too to guarantee a rest, or a sick day, along with some backstory on him. Ther real reward I want to give players for this adventure, is unlocking the ability to (maybe) get rid of him in future years. I thought that this would be a nice twist compared to the other familiar adventures. Just looking for the OK before I start.

11. Fae Magic, I suspect, is largely glammours and practical joke material. Are there any special brands that we might learn in the future? Also, will we learn more of the differences in their society? (light and dark courts, etc)

12. So, if a student can (with money ;)) retake a year or two, would it then not be possible for a student who is really talented to intentionally delay graduating a year to take some other classes? Could this be done in theory? If not, then why?

Freespace;

1. So... I named my main character after myself. (Vanity, I know...) Anyway, with that being a decidedly English sounding name, I'm curious if that would be rare in Mineta? I ask because I didn't choose any default background for heritage, so I'm actually slightly concerned about breaking my suspension of disbelief. If that is a concern, will we be able to rectify that somehow?

It would be rare, but not impossible. Mineta is a cosmopolitan city, and it's trade, culture and history attract people from many nations.

2. Are tomatoes considered poisonous in this setting? I know they aren't actually, but since in real life there were concerns about them being poisonous due to being related to solanaceae in general, I am curious here.

Good question! I don't think so, no. Tomatoes are just too delicious. ;)

3. Historically, whenever the Dragons invaded and a few managed to get past the wall, what are their observed tendencies? Do they stay in packs? Fly solo? Do they raze villages just for the lulz? Or do they aim to subjugate population centers? Have they been seen using magic that scholars can't identify? Or are they very secretive of such a thing? Do they favor any particular pillar or do they vary as much as human specialties? I assume that Dragons would have no reservations on using Mastery or Gates..... Have Dragons seem to be subject to Gate's CF? (Chaos factor)

It is too large a question, but in general Dragons tend to be solitary by nature- they are too powerful and greedy to work well with others. Dragons do not seem to have any issues with the 'chaos factor', though.

4. Regarding Dragon's retainers, Have they ever been known to leave Dragon controlled lands to spy on Elumia?

Sure. :)

5. So, say that the Dragons invade by force, and a mage winds up on their lonesome fending one off... Say on an airship. If that mage resorted to emergency use of Gates Magic to "defeat" the Dragon, would the crew of the ship be likely to keep quiet about that in thanks, or is that still viewed a violation worth death? I know what the law says, I'm interested in what people would do. Is that magic such a horror that in such a circumstance people would still call for the mages' head? (generally speaking, of course. I know that results in such a situation would vary... heavily.)

Who knows? ;)

6. If telegraph has been invented then there must be some way to generate electricty. How do they typically do that in this era?

They do not; the electricity is generated magically.

7. What's the biggest lake known in Elumia? Could you give us a real world analogy for it?

The largest lake is Lake Meryonne, but it has no real world analogy.

8. OK, so This is a theoretical question for insight into a familiar.... You could say I'm just looking for approval on a backstory... Say You had a rock that was nigh invulnerable, could speak to it's owner but made little sense, could roll around and had a knack for locating it's owner in remarkably fast fashion. Could such a thing be created? I want Mr Pebbles to give the vibe of being a magical accident gone bad, and I figure if a black chicken could be made out of a pillow, I figure this is not too much...? Of course, In that stupid rock's case, the magic *seems* to be very old, regenerating, and un-negatable too. Just checking.

Sure. ;)

9. Is there an equivalent to the North Star and if so what is it's name?

Good question! I do not know- we'll see. ;)

10. I'm kind of stuck on the student's adventure with mr. Pebbles, so I'm starting to work on the familiar's adventure. Just to be clear, the idea is to use the familiar's skills instead of the students, right? Well, Since Mr. Pebbles is not a familiar that a lot of people would care to train. (indeed, I want him downright pathetic next to my Pamela) I was thinking of having an adventure with him that had pathetically low rolls, and "rewarded" the player with something like losing 10 vitality points and probably some stress too to guarantee a rest, or a sick day, along with some backstory on him. Ther real reward I want to give players for this adventure, is unlocking the ability to (maybe) get rid of him in future years. I thought that this would be a nice twist compared to the other familiar adventures. Just looking for the OK before I start.

It's your Adventure...sure. ;)

11. Fae Magic, I suspect, is largely glammours and practical joke material. Are there any special brands that we might learn in the future? Also, will we learn more of the differences in their society? (light and dark courts, etc)

I believe you will learn more about them, yes. Their magic is unique, although it does seem to share a lot with Glamour.

12. So, if a student can (with money ) retake a year or two, would it then not be possible for a student who is really talented to intentionally delay graduating a year to take some other classes? Could this be done in theory? If not, then why?

In theory, it could be done, yes. I don't believe it will be modeled in the games, but it is possible.

Hehe the nr. 5 - what would happen if you defeated a dragon through use of gates? I don't think the common folk would be interested if you used gates or used revision. What they are worried about are the hoards of demons flooding through the gates killing everyone and everything and all they loved! But no worries, while you may survive (though use of a gate or something) they will most certainly not - thus you won't get jailed! ;)

Also, still hoping for a confirmed answer to the frog question :)

Where is Jenlainen? couldn't find it on the map.

Also, regarding the royal bloodlines, is there anything that prevents families with relations, for example families of characters with "Descended of Royalty" background from claiming the empty kingship titels, other than the fact that other such families wouldn't most likely accept their claim?

Are there any lore texts in the game from where we could learn more about Sae'on? We learn on the first day a few things about it, such as it's a city built inside/near a volcano and needs a "bubble of air" protecting it, but is there anywhere we can learn more about it? Such as when it was founded and by whom? Why does Oan automatically Assume player has heard from it, and think it's so impressive to know someone from there? becouse people think it's cool (it does sound pretty cool, actually)? and what would give away that Oan is from Sae'on? her name?

Brougal;

I believe there is a Lore, or two, that discusses that city. It's famous because it is trapped within a volcano, protected by a group of mages. Although in Elumia, it's not considered a part of the Empire, although it was under Imperial protection for centuries. The features and accents of people from that place are what give them away- they have distinctly asian features.

So Magic obviously can be quite expensive....

Exactly how do they figure the cost for a mage's services? I suppose a big factor would be how much time a mage has to spend preparing for the minute details of a big spell..

I know it's hard to say exactly, but how much would an hour's worth of a mage's time be worth? On average?