Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

But the boy did not realise that while he has won, it was only because the Abyss allows it.

As the boy whose name symbolizes Freedom celebrates in his mind, the army of the Black Mage Leo brings his army to victory against the human threat, their champion having been defeated and their wills crushed by the sheer numbers of the abnormal enemy.

The White Mage Shi, sits at a corner of the ruined Morvidus common room, tracing faint turquoise phemes in the air. In the center was the hero, trapped in a bubble of magicked amber, sleeping his last and dreaming of greater things to come.

The White Mage caresses the amber, pitying the mage trapped in the Lotus-Eater, but also slightly envious of how the mage would be able to enjoy the rest of his long unnatural life in relative peace.

The White and Black sides met each other by the gates, watching the city of Mineta breaking down as citizens attempt to escape the horror.

The two reverts to their favoured form, a penguin.

The penguin turns to look behind him, to examine his army of mages. Each one of them having the obedience rune craved into their limbs and skulls. Each one failing into despair as the spell saps their will to fight back.

The penguin looks forward as the moon rises. He goes "Wenk!" and marches forth, his army in tow.

In the school, only one mage remains until such time that the great penguin commands his demise.

The End

1) Will familiar need a wand to perform magic or at last to perform more then just the most basic spells?

2) I just learned the pheme Harmonicus with my char and from the text it sounds like there even ruins from the time before the dragons and they prayed to different gods back then?!

3) Are there other pre dragon era Lore hidden already in year 1?

4) Will we see more about this pre dragon era maybe even a archaeological excavation?

5) How many millennia is this pre dragon era ago?

6) What make this dragons appear and take over the world anyway if there is a human pre dragon era?

(I know I will get the famous Redacted answer on this but still had to ask)

Schwarzbart;

1) Will familiar need a wand to perform magic or at last to perform more then just the most basic spells?

Familiars do not need wands, or any tools due to the nature of the Bond.

2) I just learned the pheme Harmonicus with my char and from the text it sounds like there even ruins from the time before the dragons and they prayed to different gods back then?!

Well, they prayed to the Old Gods, yes.

3) Are there other pre dragon era Lore hidden already in year 1?

Yep. :)

4) Will we see more about this pre dragon era maybe even a archaeological excavation?

It's possible...

5) How many millennia is this pre dragon era ago?

No one can give a specific date; it belongs to myth and legend.

6) What make this dragons appear and take over the world anyway if there is a human pre dragon era?

I think the key here is that you may not be getting the full, or even correct, story...;)

Firstly, I want to say that the collection of lores I'm posting here ought to be in a numbered format for easier reference.

Secondly, This is easily my favorite lore in the game, which is why I hunted them all down in the modtools. and want to convey my appreciation to the team for writing this set.

Finally, a question: WHY IS THERE NO REFERENCE TO US GOING THROUGH THIS OUTSIDE THE LORES!!!?

Importance of Willpower

"Magical training isn’t easy. Aside from the difficulties of actually performing magic tricks, there is

an inherent danger in the risk of corruption due to the intensity of training and potential abilities

one can develop as a result of magical training. As such, it is important that the students of

Academagia learn to control their willpower, and keep themselves in check at all times. Of course,

the students at the school are young, and so the training begins at an early age."

Early bird gets the... Will.

"The conditioning needed for strong willpower starts early. Each regent is responsible for

conditioning his or her students in a series of ever more challenging scenarios. While Willpower

Training is not an officially sanctioned course, it is a requirement for any student who wishes to be

allowed to use magic in any sort of official capacity outside of a classroom. These trials were

developed by Orso Orsi in his first year as head of the school, mostly as a result of the previous

headmaster’s tendency towards abuses of his magical powers."

The first trial

"The first trial for new students begins within the first few days of school, before the students are

even aware of just what the test will be. The students are blindfolded in the middle of a randomly

chosen class and taken to the dining hall. Most of the students are terrified, and unsure of just

what is happening. They are told they are not to eat anything put before them. They are lined up

at a table, and a plate of delicious smelling cakes and cookies is waved in front of them. If they reach

for the cakes, they fail at their first test.

To Be Reprimanded

"Most students do fail the first test: a combination of nerves and a need to trust their professors

often compel them to reach for the cakes, despite the warnings they receive. This first time the

cakes are the richest, most delicious cakes the students would ever have tasted to this point in their

lives, thus making them that much more tempting in the future. The students are firmly

reprimanded for disobeying their teachers, but nothing more is said on the subject at that time."

A Snicker for the Students

"Over the course of the students’ next month at school, they are warned repeatedly that they are

not to eat anything put before them that they cannot see with their own eyes. Most of the time the

students merely snicker at the recollection of their failed test with the cakes. The older students,

who have since gone through the ritual, often laugh along, but not at the same thing as the

freshmen."

A test of Resistance

"Within a month of the first test, the students are blindfolded and again brought to the dining

room. They are told nothing before the test, but again are tempted with some of the most

delectable, magically enhanced, smells from an assortment of pastries waved before them. This

time, the best students, those who have already caught their professors’ eyes and were already

earning highest marks, generally were able to resist the temptation, as difficult as it was. Little did

they know the reward they would receive shortly. Those who ate of the cakes were rewarded to an

even more delicious treat than the first time, and another lecture from the professors on the

dangers of weak willpower."

Temptation at Its Greatest

"From time to time the students in the first year are again warned about giving in to temptation

and the potential dangers that lurked for those who didn’t. By now, the students who failed the

second test had begun to wonder just what the big deal was. Both times they took their tests they

had been lectured, but it was a small price to pay for the delicious cakes they were given. Indeed,

many of the students looked forward to the next test, and even mocked those who “passed” for

their foolishness."

Orso's Special Meeting

"At this time in the tests, the first group of students, those who resisted the temptation, are brought

to a special meeting with Orso Orsi, whereby they are granted an advanced standing in their class.

For the time being, these students are sworn to secrecy, although they are told that before the

semester ends they will be looked on as the very best of their class by their peers. They are also let

in on the secret of the third, and most important willpower test..."

Foul Consequences

"So, when the time comes for the third test, again the students are blindfolded and brought to the

dining hall. Again, the mouth-watering treats are waved in front of their noses. Those students

who had passed the first test are allowed to be tempted first - and lo and behold, it would seem

their peers’ taunts had weakened their willpower, and they are treated to the same wondrous

treats their classmates were eager to enjoy. The professors again warn the students not to give in to

their temptations, and then begin to wave the cakes in front of the students. Naturally, the

students reach for the cakes and bite into them - only to find a pastry made of rotten eggs and

wilted cabbage made to smell like chocolate and fruit. The first group of students normally roar

with laughter as their peers spit out the putrid concoction onto the floor before receiving a final

lecture from their professors on the necessity of controlling their willpower."

Final Test Is Only the Beginning

"Usually, this third test achieves its purpose. On subsequent tests, no matter how strong the

aromas of the cakes are, the students are no longer willing to give in to their temptations, even after

the professors themselves taste the cakes in front of them. From the time a student passes his or her

willpower test, they are ready to really begin the study of magical arts."

Yeah, Pam rules!

Free;

No comment. :)

mmmmmhhh. A different test, then, eh? -_-

"If you accept our invitation, a familiar will be waiting for you at your window tomorrow at midnight. This animal will guide you to the school and will be your constant companion during your years at Schohanwicht. Do not worry about your family and friends. To explain your disappearance, an instructor will explain to them that you are in excellent care."

This invitation is worded in a fashion as to imply that you will spend all your time at the Schohanwicht school. Is that what usually happens? I would guess so since dorms are mentioned. And if this is so, why is the player given an exception as ?traveling back and forth amidst Schohanwicht and the Academagia seems to be running unnecessary risk?

So both Schohanwicht and Esteban Contu have the player do regular evening & weekend classes and the time we use the action are actual just times we focus intense on their teachings?

I fear the worst for the available time slots in year 2 ... --'

Edit: Is it better for year 2 to use a flag or making two different steps?

Will there be a magical pastry shop? There's nothing quite like good pastry after a morning of calligraphy study...

I am sure the wealthy eat a sumptuous cuisine, but overall, how is nutrition in this world? Are famines very common? What is the typical peasant diet - bread, beans, dairy and very small amounts of meat, or are things a little better than that? Do many lowborn people show physical signs of malnutrition?

(Also, thank you for answering the tons of questions everyone has!)

What are the consequences for skipping in the Esteban Contu school and maybe Schohanwicht? Maybe we could alternate the days we go...? I sense most characters are going to be 'Hermione Grangers'. We need doppelganger spells.

One question...in Ana's adventure, when it comes to observing her at Incantation, you are directed towards Massioti. Even though he is Godina's regent, shouldn't we have been directed towards Knoht? Was there a specific reason for it? Doesn't he do solely sports or Rimbal?

Lapis;

Sure, our pleasure!

For your questions:

Will there be a magical pastry shop? There's nothing quite like good pastry after a morning of calligraphy study...

Hahaha! If there isn't, there probably should be. Maybe you should propose something in the Writer's Corner...? :)

I am sure the wealthy eat a sumptuous cuisine, but overall, how is nutrition in this world? Are famines very common? What is the typical peasant diet - bread, beans, dairy and very small amounts of meat, or are things a little better than that? Do many lowborn people show physical signs of malnutrition?

As with our world, the poorer, especially the landed, suffer from malnutrition much more so than their wealthier counterparts. However, overall the situation is much better in that weather variations are generally less dramatic (without magic involved), and remedies for major disasters can be sent for and successfully applied, if the local nobility have the least interest in their land (not always the case.) City populations tend to be higher and more healthy than their real counterparts, mostly due to the urban populations of mages.

For Hatt:

I don't think there is a consequence for skipping at Contu's, except the money you've spent. Schohanwicht may have a penalty, though, I am not sure.

Massioti loves Rimbal, but he's still a good Incantor. I don't know why he would be chosen over Knoht, though, it doesn't seem very likely. I'll have to mention that to the Team- thanks!

I don't think there is a consequence for skipping at Contu's, except the money you've spent. Schohanwicht may have a penalty, though, I am not sure.

Could you define skipping? If/When I unlock them I typically use them at my leisure. Completely ignoring them when at 10 skill

I've come across a few references to 'Gate' magic. (without the s) It seems that early on you went back and forth on whether to include that S. Now it's officially 'Gates' right? Do you want me to point out when the s is missing?

I was referring to contu and schohanwicht. both are abilities with supposedly no required class times to skip in the first place...

Also, what year was Mastery Proscribed in? if that is [redacted], Can you at least ask the team for a historical event in Mineta to which a person alive at the time would associate with the ban? (even a minor little known blurb.)

I was just curious how there might be a penalty for skipping schohanwicht when it is impossible to skip.

so, ~1350 then? I was kind of hoping for the year so a certain person could recollect it.