Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Hmmm..

1. In the pre-ban era.... It's obvious from the lores that several people had already felt that Mastery especially was a dangerous and corrupting power. In that era, did people get second thoughts when told that the best mage to do so and so was a mastery (or gates) mage?

2. And when those pillars were first banned, was the penalty death like the current era, or a lesser penalty that had to go through several revisions before they finally decided on death?

3. I know the lores say that a great deal of information on the proscribed pillars was lost through time... So I ask if a skill of 10 in those arts is directly comparable to a 10 in say Incantation, or would there be holes in your knowledge of Mastery and a 10 there is only what you could piece together? Or does the statement that "that which remains is still powerful" mean that what you have access to in Y1 is still mostly kiddy stiff and the BIG holes in knowledge have yet to come?

Free;

First of all, there were many different Bans in different areas, and many were reversed and re-instituted as time went on. With that in mind:

1. In the pre-ban era.... It's obvious from the lores that several people had already felt that Mastery especially was a dangerous and corrupting power. In that era, did people get second thoughts when told that the best mage to do so and so was a mastery (or gates) mage?

Certainly, for Mastery, yes.

2. And when those pillars were first banned, was the penalty death like the current era, or a lesser penalty that had to go through several revisions before they finally decided on death?

It depended on the Ban and the Region. Most began as imprisonment, then became more severe corporeally, and finally arrived at death.

3. I know the lores say that a great deal of information on the proscribed pillars was lost through time... So I ask if a skill of 10 in those arts is directly comparable to a 10 in say Incantation, or would there be holes in your knowledge of Mastery and a 10 there is only what you could piece together? Or does the statement that "that which remains is still powerful" mean that what you have access to in Y1 is still mostly kiddy stiff and the BIG holes in knowledge have yet to come?

There are no holes in Y1 material. You'll see them grow in time, though- you'll need to work much harder to become very good at the Proscribed Arts, although that can be mitigated through [redacted]. ;)

by [redacted] I'm almost positive you're referring to contracts with certain book-dragons, as well as other miscellaneous things that might also be available in future years which you don't want to spoil. ;)

Will holes in such knowledge will be readily identifiable though? Or is it going to be one of those things where "you don't know that you don't know it" until it's pointed out to you?

As an example, it's kind of like how one can make an assumption that in order to turn a lightbulb off you need to unscrew it all the time, rescrewing it in to turn it back on, until someone reveals the amazing ability of light switches. If you didn't know how electricty worked at that point it could happen... I can see a similar assumption with that regarding Gates and Mastery as well as the other pillars. It's just that it'd be harder to find someone who could tell you about the forbidden ones without wanting to either kill you or turn you in... Or both. :P

Also, Will we see more multiple rolls for spells? Especially Y1 spells? As our skills improve with magic surely some spells can have some surprising extra benifits from being cast much better than a Y1 student could ever hope to manage? I suspect that that's at least a good chunk of the difference between lesser and greater versions of the same spells, along with adding or substituting a single pheme or what-have-you.

Edit: So the bans were regional in nature mostly? is the current ban the first to be completely over the entirety of Elumia?

Free;

I believe it will manifest itself in the difficult of acquiring [redacted] so that you can [redacted] the Skill. It's probably more realistic to have the holes unknown to you, though.

I'm pretty sure you will see more multi-roll Spells.

It's not the first over Elumia, no. I think this is the 3rd.

Oooooh...

1. Had the Kasus and Icanyke colleges dealt with the earlier elumian bans previously? (I'm not quite sure as the founding order) And if so as is likely, how did they come back from that? Did they just simply offer amnesty to any mages who knew the proscribed arts, and give them all access to the forbidden sections of the libraries? (that's the only reason why I think they would bother keeping all that stuff) Would they let all those cloistered mages free? (!)

2. In theory, if the general bans on the proscribed arts were repealed, is it likely that specific bans on certain spells would be enforced? I'm thinking of the lose focus spell being forbidden at the academagia, but also of the powerful spells whose reputations ruined the entire arts in the first place.

3. If one was to use Glamour or Mastery on a chocolate cake with an ideal of "delicious" in a non-malevolent manner, which would taste better? The same?

4. I can understand Gates as a method of summoning monsters and such easily enough, and though I'm fairly sure this is a subject for later years.... What can you tell us as to why Gates can create monsters also? That subject seems somewhat separate from the other parts of Gates from my line of thinking.

5. Would a trial involving a mage accused of dabbling in the proscribed arts be highly publicized or kept hush-hush?

6. Is Oncestran closer to old English or modern English? (or indeed any of the languages save for old elumian because latin hasn't really changed much..)

7. If cheese is more of a specialty food due to the era they live in this setting.... What would a mouse familiar eat normally? I suppose cheese could still be a treat food but...

8. In the current era, even if there are not the legions of troops stationed at The Wall as in the past, surely there's still enough people there to keep an effective watch? Or are elumians currently filled with so much hubris...?

9. Since Dragons did not care much for Mastery, and had relatively low ability with Gates, Are there spells that they cast in the other pillars which in the current era are filled with the stigma accociated with usage by Dragons? (even to the point of illegality, pointless or no?)

10. If Existing Gates Magic is still legal to be used in certain circumstances, what is the stance of items known to have been created recently with no ill effect from the Chaos factor but still clearly in violation of the ban?

Freespace;

1. Had the Kasus and Icanyke colleges dealt with the earlier elumian bans previously? (I'm not quite sure as the founding order) And if so as is likely, how did they come back from that? Did they just simply offer amnesty to any mages who knew the proscribed arts, and give them all access to the forbidden sections of the libraries? (that's the only reason why I think they would bother keeping all that stuff) Would they let all those cloistered mages free? (!)

Both were affected, and had to be re-opened by imprisoned mages. There was no amnesty for mages that weren't imprisoned, though.

2. In theory, if the general bans on the proscribed arts were repealed, is it likely that specific bans on certain spells would be enforced? I'm thinking of the lose focus spell being forbidden at the academagia, but also of the powerful spells whose reputations ruined the entire arts in the first place.

Probably, it's happened that way before.

3. If one was to use Glamour or Mastery on a chocolate cake with an ideal of "delicious" in a non-malevolent manner, which would taste better? The same?

Only Adrian can answer this question.

4. I can understand Gates as a method of summoning monsters and such easily enough, and though I'm fairly sure this is a subject for later years.... What can you tell us as to why Gates can create monsters also? That subject seems somewhat separate from the other parts of Gates from my line of thinking.

Gates is often used to animate constructions with spirits.

5. Would a trial involving a mage accused of dabbling in the proscribed arts be highly publicized or kept hush-hush?

Highly publicized.

6. Is Oncestran closer to old English or modern English? (or indeed any of the languages save for old elumian because latin hasn't really changed much..)

Early Modern English.

7. If cheese is more of a specialty food due to the era they live in this setting.... What would a mouse familiar eat normally? I suppose cheese could still be a treat food but...

Grains, usually.

8. In the current era, even if there are not the legions of troops stationed at The Wall as in the past, surely there's still enough people there to keep an effective watch? Or are elumians currently filled with so much hubris...?

I'm sure anyone would tell you there are more than enough people there to keep watch. :)

9. Since Dragons did not care much for Mastery, and had relatively low ability with Gates, Are there spells that they cast in the other pillars which in the current era are filled with the stigma accociated with usage by Dragons? (even to the point of illegality, pointless or no?)

Not particularly, no.

10. If Existing Gates Magic is still legal to be used in certain circumstances, what is the stance of items known to have been created recently with no ill effect from the Chaos factor but still clearly in violation of the ban?

Probably the Item would be accepted post discovery, but the creator and the owner would certainly be punished.

I am sure I couldn't say, and honestly I am shocked that you, Legate, would accuse me of associating with either mastery or chocolate cake! Shocked I say. Coincidentally I am bound by oath to not divulge what I know, regardless of my person having any knowledge on the subject or not. Just saying.

Not particularly, no.

The dragons don't care much for mastery or gates? Where did you pick up this shard of wisdom? I demand to know! *cough* I mean.. if it isn't illegal or anything.

(*cough* delicious, just delicious! *cough*)

Mice don't really eat cheese. A friend had this mouse that would much rather go into the sweet fruits or its own food. Supposedly, it's too rich for them. I suppose a familiar might borrow its mages' tastes but...

Peanut butter or bacon though...they go nuts for it.

So constructs...how would one go for it? Meld bodies into one? Frankenstein experiments? Actually building with incantation and stuff? It sounds very difficult and very hard to keep hidden...

Since we are on the subject of Gates

1) Are there surviving records on what kind of worlds these spells lead to? A flaming Tartarus? A cursed Swamp Planet? Morrowind?

2) In theory, we can use Gates to teleport? But does it work like the game Portal where you could directly take a step through the portal, or do we have to open a portal to another dimension then open another portal in that dimension to reach somewhere? Sort of like Minecraft and the Nether.

*End subject on Gates*

3) What are the chances of the dragons just coming back and killing us all? 40%? 25%? 0.000991%?

4) How many official couples have been planned for Y2? I counted three. Amada and Vettor, Olivia and Mr. Ladies Man, and the most popular of all - Flippy and Jonny. tongue.gif

5) Where is Vuillaume Eparvier from? I'm curious since she uses "Comrade." *Flash back to Red Alert 2*

6) Are the New Gods (I keep thinking DCAU) worshipped everywhere and not just Elumia?

Leoshi;

1) Are there surviving records on what kind of worlds these spells lead to? A flaming Tartarus? A cursed Swamp Planet? Morrowind?

You should consult the Lores. :)

2) In theory, we can use Gates to teleport? But does it work like the game Portal where you could directly take a step through the portal, or do we have to open a portal to another dimension then open another portal in that dimension to reach somewhere? Sort of like Minecraft and the Nether.

Your Gates Theory is not high enough to answer that, although you've had some hints...

Also, what Schwarzbart said. :)

3) What are the chances of the dragons just coming back and killing us all? 40%? 25%? 0.000991%?

Only Creme Pudding can answer that to any statistical certainty.

4) How many official couples have been planned for Y2? I counted three. Amada and Vettor, Olivia and Mr. Ladies Man, and the most popular of all - Flippy and Jonny.

You'll find out!

5) Where is Vuillaume Eparvier from? I'm curious since she uses "Comrade." *Flash back to Red Alert 2*

She is from Breuil. Comrade, at this particular time in 'history' is not politicized.

6) Are the New Gods (I keep thinking DCAU) worshipped everywhere and not just Elumia?

Primarily only Elumia, although some distant places (Alesfa, in particular) share this faith.

Only Creme Pudding can answer that to any statistical certainty.

Surely the chances of the dragons just coming back and killing us all are 150%!

I take absolutely no responsibility if Creme (or anyone else for that matter) fails to remember this statement. :P

"What I have learned from the Legate's answers"

1) Read the lores. The hundreds of them.

2) Schwarzbart has seen all and done all.

3) CremePudding is working with the dragons.

4) Keep fishing for more Y2 info.

5) Comrade can confuse me. Especially if the Legate puts a comma after it.

6) Oh. So their are other gods out there. *Smoke bomb!*

7) Freespace is lower levelled than Schwarzbart, CremePudding and Adrian.

I see #7 as a rock-paper-scissors problem. All are in theory equal but have different strengths and weaknesses so that one might still be able to win against another assuming they line up.

How well can the professors handle themselves in a date? Especially handsome Professor Pluiete?

How well-regarded are Academagia alumni/graduates compared to others in mundane professions? I mean, things along the line of laws, architecture, and alike.

I see #7 as a rock-paper-scissors problem. All are in theory equal but have different strengths and weaknesses so that one might still be able to win against another assuming they line up.

To be fair you are the only one with murderous tendencies :huh: