Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

CP;

How well can the professors handle themselves in a date? Especially handsome Professor Pluiete?

I believe this question is Cyx's forte.

How well-regarded are Academagia alumni/graduates compared to others in mundane professions? I mean, things along the line of laws, architecture, and alike.

Not very well regarded- most Academagia Students study these subjects in order to become familiar with the magical concepts and ideals related to them. Few actually take the steps of practicing the subject as a trade.

1. How expensive IS magic? I don't mean magic related services. Just magic itself. (as in costs for ingredients for enchanting.. et cetera.) Mostly I'm asking about a mage's overhead required to ply their trade.

2. I shudder at this, but might as well ask, since I've so few questions left to ask... :(

Does Mastery have the capacity to remove sentience? Is/was the pillar focused on a specific aspect (control) or far more inclusive?

3. I know Mastery is capable of being used on animals. Ethically and legally, how was this aspect of Mastery usage looked upon?

4. Mmmm.. Is it possible to break a grading curve so badly that the lesser students flunk out of the class?

5. I don't think it's actually been asked yet... What college did Pamela belong to in life? And will we discover the cause of her unfortunate demise?

6. Given that the school has impeccable record-keeping in comparison to medieval real-life records.... Can you tell us precisely what our year's class number is? As in... we'll be the XXXth class to graduate. (I imagine it's not the same as the number of years since the founding of the Academagia since schools tend to merge and separate class years as need be.)

7. Has there even been any (magical) duels between two familiars? And if so is there anything that really tends to stand out compared to a conventional duel? :)

8. If someone cast.... Say a Fireball at me, and I wanted to get the drop on them, would it be possible to negate the fireball yet at the same time glamour it to make it look as though it still hit me?

9. Does the Academagia have a "career day" like event where a bunch of guilds and companies set up shop for a day to show what they do and why you'd want to work there?

10. Are there any guilds/groups that used Gates magic (even if it's not necessarily public knowledge) in the distant past but managed to eke out an honest living with the legal pillars after the Ban?

11. Do Barometers exist? or does the fact that they're in the sky/magic exists negate the need for their use?

12. Fahrenheit was not a part of the body to compare something against, but the name of the person who created the scale of the same name. What name for this would they use in Elumia? (Things like feet/pounds have been around a lot longer and are more generic terms. Temperature measurement is relatively new.)

Free;

1. How expensive IS magic? I don't mean magic related services. Just magic itself. (as in costs for ingredients for enchanting.. et cetera.) Mostly I'm asking about a mage's overhead required to ply their trade.

Costs for Enchanting can be incredibly expensive- kingdom wealth has been spent on unique and powerful enchantments, especially those designed to last.

2. I shudder at this, but might as well ask, since I've so few questions left to ask...

Does Mastery have the capacity to remove sentience? Is/was the pillar focused on a specific aspect (control) or far more inclusive?

Yes, it can, temporarily.

3. I know Mastery is capable of being used on animals. Ethically and legally, how was this aspect of Mastery usage looked upon?

It is not legal to use Mastery in any way.

4. Mmmm.. Is it possible to break a grading curve so badly that the lesser students flunk out of the class?

Yes, for certain Classes.

5. I don't think it's actually been asked yet... What college did Pamela belong to in life? And will we discover the cause of her unfortunate demise?

I am not sure- I'll have to ask. :)

Edit: As it turns out, it seems she was from Aranaz...

6. Given that the school has impeccable record-keeping in comparison to medieval real-life records.... Can you tell us precisely what our year's class number is? As in... we'll be the XXXth class to graduate. (I imagine it's not the same as the number of years since the founding of the Academagia since schools tend to merge and separate class years as need be.)

A Class has graduated every year since it was founded, actually- so you'll be the class of 1662, I believe.

7. Has there even been any (magical) duels between two familiars? And if so is there anything that really tends to stand out compared to a conventional duel?

Yes, but since the Dueling Circle must include the Mages themselves, they sometimes get out of hand.

8. If someone cast.... Say a Fireball at me, and I wanted to get the drop on them, would it be possible to negate the fireball yet at the same time glamour it to make it look as though it still hit me?

Yes, it's possible. :)

9. Does the Academagia have a "career day" like event where a bunch of guilds and companies set up shop for a day to show what they do and why you'd want to work there?

Haha! Yes, sort of. You'll see something like that in Y3, I would think, and beyond.

10. Are there any guilds/groups that used Gates magic (even if it's not necessarily public knowledge) in the distant past but managed to eke out an honest living with the legal pillars after the Ban?

Yes, larger guilds were able to make the transition.

11. Do Barometers exist? or does the fact that they're in the sky/magic exists negate the need for their use?

They do exist as scientific curiosities. Their practical applications are as yet unknown.

12. Fahrenheit was not a part of the body to compare something against, but the name of the person who created the scale of the same name. What name for this would they use in Elumia? (Things like feet/pounds have been around a lot longer and are more generic terms. Temperature measurement is relatively new.)

No attempt to standardize temperature measurement has yet been undertaken. Temperature, when it is measured, is accounted by the device that's being used, whether mechanical or magical.

Hehe, I know I should make a clever comeback, but all I can think of just now is "Gustbran" which is unfair (for all parties involved, more or less...) He's a character form our Ars Magica sessions here on the board if anyone were curious, first mentioned in log nine which can be read here.

But I'm sure Freespace can help you with your casting Cyx. - I certainly don't take time to teach those who cannot look simple magics up in the studybooks!

So, like, is there a werewolf student in year two? Just sort of wondering. Project.

(Nine people out of ten guess that this answer will be answered with [redacted], and the tenth person is controlled by Mastery so they can't give the same opinion, but I figure I have to ask. You know. Project.)

What manner of magical dueling is a Safaviore Officer's School alumni most likely to use?

What would be people's reaction to finding a really ancient ghost on campus? Would it be perhaps possible to find a ghost so old it belonged to one of the now gone Houses that taught Mastery and Gates? Could a ghost teach you forbidden magic?

Is Phillippe aware that Joana has a crush on him? Are they actually friends of sort, or does he just think he has some weird other bully stalking him on occasion?

Now that I know Pamela was in Aranaz, I need to play her on my Aranaz characters. What year was she in when she passed away?

Mikka;

So, like, is there a werewolf student in year two? Just sort of wondering. Project.

Yes. :)

What manner of magical dueling is a Safaviore Officer's School alumni most likely to use?

I am not sure- probably something gentlemanly!

What would be people's reaction to finding a really ancient ghost on campus? Would it be perhaps possible to find a ghost so old it belonged to one of the now gone Houses that taught Mastery and Gates? Could a ghost teach you forbidden magic?

Old ghosts have been known. [Redacted] for the second part.

Is Phillippe aware that Joana has a crush on him? Are they actually friends of sort, or does he just think he has some weird other bully stalking him on occasion?

Good question. I'll have to ask!

Now that I know Pamela was in Aranaz, I need to play her on my Aranaz characters. What year was she in when she passed away?

She hasn't said. :)

I'd be willing to bet Pam was a 4th or 5th year. that would make sense from a storytelling perspective. Of course it's been some time since she was in classes, so she's probably forgot the material, and the classes also have likely changed considerably since then so I doubt that she'll be able to help you academically.

On 3, I was speaking past-tense because I was thinking pre-ban. sorry for not stating that. :P

Also, while I suppose mages are eccentric enough that THEY wouldn't really think it was too special, what would the average citizen think if you had a ghost familiar haunting you?

Money! How could you acquire a massive, massive amount of cash, fast? With magic..preferably, but any mundane solution works. Just enough to be able to buy a small country. Can you make money or is it easier to legally earn it?

How are the laws on counterfeiting?

Schwarzbart;

"Or they think when seeing the robe of Academagia that it is just one other bad prank of the students of the Academy.."

This. :)

Hatt;

It's difficult to make money and have it pass as the real thing. It's even more difficult to have it last!

Counterfeiting occurs, and the laws are draconian. They also vary from city to city. :)

I was thinking more of citizenry back where our characters grew up. They wouldn't have the academagia to desensitize them to all sorts of magical hijinks. :)

1. How does one "put down" a ghost without a mage? Do "mundane" exorcism techniques work in this setting to any effectiveness? I would assume if they saw pamela and got a mage to attempt to exorcise her, said mage would be far more likely to realize that shes a familiar.

2. How many mages has Poor Pam been rejected by? Dozens? Hundreds? (Even as antisocial as I am, I'd be a bit forelorn too if I was in her "shoes")

3. How much detail do our player characters see of Pamela? The picture of her is extremely wispy, so I'd say not much..? Can we see her face? Does she have control over that?

4. Will we see cliques getting in trouble if the player chooses to name it something like "The Fellowship for Gate's Repeal" :)

5. Are there spells capable of a form of photography?

Free;

1. How does one "put down" a ghost without a mage? Do "mundane" exorcism techniques work in this setting to any effectiveness? I would assume if they saw pamela and got a mage to attempt to exorcise her, said mage would be far more likely to realize that shes a familiar.

If they are knowledgeable/lucky enough, they can destroy the anchor, assuming it's physical.

2. How many mages has Poor Pam been rejected by? Dozens? Hundreds? (Even as antisocial as I am, I'd be a bit forelorn too if I was in her "shoes")

You'll have to ask her. :)

3. How much detail do our player characters see of Pamela? The picture of her is extremely wispy, so I'd say not much..? Can we see her face? Does she have control over that?

Not much- it's very blurred or faint. As to the amount of control she has, you'd have to ask her!

4. Will we see cliques getting in trouble if the player chooses to name it something like "The Fellowship for Gate's Repeal"

Realistically, yes, but game-wise, no- I doubt they'll put it any checks for that (although it would be a cool easter egg.)

5. Are there spells capable of a form of photography?

Yes. You may have seen some in Y1...

Bear with me, as I may have gotten this wrong, but people can become familiars to each other, right?

If that were to happen.. What form does the bond take? Does it force a certain dispositon or inclination to friendship, romance, or even conflict? Or is it just a bond that can be flavored by either person's feelings and emotions? Also, can it form without knowledge of two parties or does it have to be done by willful consent by one or both?

Sorry if that was already asked!

Right, right.

Now, there's another question that I'm relatively sure is without answer: Dragons have human familiars, yeah? But humans don't have -dragon- familiars. It only goes one way, right? Would a human ever "get" something out of that? Increased magical power, maybe, or just random weird things? This is all based on the assumption that it works like any other Familiar bond.

One would wonder if this relationship would only ever be a sort of Master-Pet thing. I would doubt many people would find a -friend- in their dragon, yeah, but stranger things could happen..