Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Personal I expect at last the family part will be different for all this chars.

The wealth of your family also will affect how much money you will get every 14 day in year 2 and so I think it will also affect how much money you have available trough the summer.

What I wonder if there is a difference if someone with descended from royalty have the noble also.

Can one use Gates to return home if the family heritage is chosen?

Other families would probably get suspicious if you lived far away from the school, but it'd be pretty awesome to quickly and quietly travel home and back without a couple of weeks' travel.

If we can rent a apartment in Mineta and official stay in the city instead of flying home then I don't see a problem with a person having the Secret Background might use Gate Magic to visit their parents. But the problem is that this renting is not implemented what also might make problems for some character concepts.

Can one use Gates to return home if the family heritage is chosen?

Other families would probably get suspicious if you lived far away from the school, but it'd be pretty awesome to quickly and quietly travel home and back without a couple of weeks' travel.

I don't think we are at that level of gates competence considering the only ones capable of reliable teleportation are foreigners and Schohanwicht would probably need to spend a lot of effort if they were to help you. If they even can that is.

At least according to this:

Teleportation is almost unknown in modern Elumia, although more ancient wizards had access to some means of instantaneous travel. Those spells were lost during the days of the early Empire during an early ban on Gates magic, and subsequent research has not been able to recover the technique in any form that is not of great bodily risk to the teleporting wizard.

The wizards of Oursouk, south of Elumia, to this day are able to teleport- but they are few in number, and do not associate with the wizards of Elumia except in battle.

It just occurred to me that Schohanwicht might be an exception to this. Can they teleport?

The player probably just got lucky, they are unusually lucky after all. It'd be nice to have adventures where using stuff like gates could be used but where even an apparent success could come back to haunt you. Like maybe random events that become trigger-able if you've done certain adventures and used gates for it.

Even entire adventures dedicated to cleaning up messes might be a good reminder for our characters to show restraint, else they might reach the conclusion that maybe these forbidden arts aren't nearly as dangerous as people would have them believe.

mmmm.

darned chaos factor... :(

Well, what about setting up magic beacons at both locations for traveling? it might mean that you'd need an airship to go home the first time, but if you were good enough, then the trip back to the school would be... faster.

If all caster except the one from Oursouk are affected by the chaos factor then I start to wonder why the Legate would even allow the player the choice to use the gate magic of the prisoner in the Vernin adventure?

Because the Prisoner should be either mad or affected by the chaos factor and both appear not to be the case here.

Edit: more important if the Ley lines are affected by some powerful effect that add the chaos factor to the Gate magic then shouldn't the gate magic of enchanted items not also affected?

The magic itself I think is stable, which is why items already made are ok, but *erhem* Puppet Strings *cough* seems to have a way to affect a Gates' user's mind to affect spell outcome, is my guess. I think it's got nothing or little to do with ley lines.

What of this 2 maps is the official one?

By SteamRobin

By Sapiento

And are we allowed to upload a copy of it to the wiki?

Edit: looking how distant the Godina and Icanicix buildings are make me wonder how Icanicix previous have owned a tower that now is in use of Godina.

@freespace There only two ways I can think such a mass affect would work

1) All people bound to the puppet master spread this effect what needs many people and still a large radius on each person.

2) Its a effect delivered trough the Ley-lines

But 1) would have the problem that a mage on a small island who live there alone is most likely not affected

Legate.

1. Is it possible to place conditional spells (I'm pretty sure you can) and if so, does the means to do so change based on the pillar or is that general magic knowledge?

2. Can Mastery be used to obtain knowledge/experience from a person/persons without any ill effects to the victim??

3. If a wizard was to Master say, an entire village.... if a traveler entered it, or a child was born, would they immediately be subjected to the spell, or would the wizard have to apply the spell on them later? (If it depends on the spell, Is the immediate example I laid out an advanced one?)

4. Is it possible to cast a spell that can piggyback on other spells? I mean something that can literally use the power of other specific chosen phemes to create an effect outside the expected result? (ie. Using an incantation that caused anyone affected who might draw a certain unrelated pheme in any spell to be zapped by static electricity?) Can such a spell be maintained using the magical aura of a victim?

5. Can a spell cast over great distances be made easier if it is done via proxy? can that be done even without the need for the proxy itself to participate?

6. Is it possible for small spells to escape reaction tests if they are not active?

7. So, if I cast a Mastery spell that simply put a desire for a person to travel, while also using that person a proxy(see 2) could I then place a spell (see 5) on any wizards that were not specifically guarding against it? The spell would simply cause Gates phemes to form a weak Mastery connection to me which would grow. (see 4) It would also transfer itself if a person affected cast a spell onto another unprotected wizard.(see 3); Now, If I repeated this with many individuals over many centuries.... ;)

Schwarzbart.

You see, I agree that large quantities of people are required, but I disagree that just 'area effect' would be implemented, although it's possible, In my mind that just seems sloppy.

The method I've outlined is far more devious as:

1, the "initial victim" might not even realize they're being used, and doesn't necessarily have to be a mage.

2, most people eventually let their guard down, and as we've seen in the Vernin Wall adventure, It is possible to be Mastered even without a mage visibly drawing phemes at their location. In the first step prof Alazzo had a nosebleed. what'shisname probably Mastered him via proxy (to ensure that the ritual wouldn't be buggered up no doubt).

3, "carriers" might never realize that they're "infected", especially if they never actually cast Gates spells and even then. It's a slow process.

4, later in the plan (ie, in our setting's time) most mages can become a "carrier" for the spell early in their development, when they're most vulnerable, as it's difficult to learn magic alone, and an infected teacher will pass it on to all students.

5, an illegal magic test will never reveal that secret because it reacts to Gates as well as Mastery. The spell will only be detectible if Gates is used anyway and so who cares to investigate? off with their heads!

....Of course it is all just speculation until we get another year to pick apart and analyze....

Free;

1. Is it possible to place conditional spells (I'm pretty sure you can) and if so, does the means to do so change based on the pillar or is that general magic knowledge?

It is, and it's usually general magical knowledge.

2. Can Mastery be used to obtain knowledge/experience from a person/persons without any ill effects to the victim??

[Redacted]

3. If a wizard was to Master say, an entire village.... if a traveler entered it, or a child was born, would they immediately be subjected to the spell, or would the wizard have to apply the spell on them later? (If it depends on the spell, Is the immediate example I laid out an advanced one?)

It depends. Also, [redacted].

4. Is it possible to cast a spell that can piggyback on other spells? I mean something that can literally use the power of other specific chosen phemes to create an effect outside the expected result? (ie. Using an incantation that caused anyone affected who might draw a certain unrelated pheme in any spell to be zapped by static electricity?) Can such a spell be maintained using the magical aura of a victim?

No to both, according to the current theories.

5. Can a spell cast over great distances be made easier if it is done via proxy? can that be done even without the need for the proxy itself to participate?

Yes and yes, kind of.

6. Is it possible for small spells to escape reaction tests if they are not active?

No.

7. So, if I cast a Mastery spell that simply put a desire for a person to travel, while also using that person a proxy(see 2) could I then place a spell (see 5) on any wizards that were not specifically guarding against it? The spell would simply cause Gates phemes to form a weak Mastery connection to me which would grow. (see 4) It would also transfer itself if a person affected cast a spell onto another unprotected wizard.(see 3); Now, If I repeated this with many individuals over many centuries.... ;)

Not as such, no. Muahahahaha! :)

What size is the Faux Dragon? The size of a dog? A small cat? Something to perch on your shoulder?

Also about the nobility I know they look down on merchants, but do they look down on crafting (especially the notion of a noble doing it himself)? And if so, even on magical crafting? The reason I'm wondering is they kinda did in the real world, but there seem to be a great deal of respect for crafting in Academagia and Vernin has the most nobles/snobs despite being centered on artificing.

Leoshi;

Restraining Order Spells...yes, got to stock up. ;)

Dream;

About the size of a cat, if I recall correctly.

The nobility do look down on crafting, yes, but when it is elevated by the presence of magic...

Typically, nobles would not do it in the real world, or if they did, it would be for parlor tricks, but it's still more 'noble' than non-magical crafting.