Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

EJ;

1) Does Pamela have an official last name? If so, will we learn it or has it been lost to the centuries?

She does, and I am sure you will be able to.

2) Would it be possible to enchant a teddy bear to move and fight for Pamela, and would this be possible before the end of year 5? Would it be possible to buy one? How much would it cost?

Yes, it would be possible. I'm not sure the cost, though- expensive.

3) Are there any plans for a Raven familiar?

We'd love to do one, but we've finished the set of Familiars for Y2. Hopefully in future years.

4) Any word on Catherine Chard's real eye color, or is it still [redacted]?

[Redacted]!

5) At what level would a Revisionist be capable of creating the changes in a human body required to let the human purr?

Hmmm. You *might* be able to have the skill to do that in Y2. Just, uh, be careful. :)

6) Am I correct in understanding that Enchantment, while 'weaker' than the Pillars of magic, is capable of surpassing them with time and money? I mean, that a less-skilled Enchanter can create effects as impressive - or more impressive - than a more skilled ... say Negationist - so long as he had enough time?

You are generally right.

7) Does Enchantment require grounding in a Pillar to create similar effects, or is just the Phemic knowledge enough? So if an Enchanter wanted to make an Anti-Magic Cage, would he also need a strong background in Negation, or would just knowing the right Phemes be enough?

Both are important, because (as you will see in 8) you need the Spell, too.

8) I guess related to #7 ... if I wanted to Enchant a Wand of Lightning Bolts, would I need to Enchant it with the Throw Lightning spell, or could I just use Lightning Phemes? If both are capable of generating the desired effect, is there a difference between the two methods?

You need the Spell, otherwise the Phemes do not have any 'direction'. That said, you only really need the basic form of the Spell, though- using more advanced versions may be more efficient, but not, strictly speaking, necessary.

9) Are the Chards Nobility? Royal Descendants? Or "just" filthy, filthy rich?

As Free notes, all of the above.

10) Pending the results of #9, has it been specifically confirmed that Catherine Chard has no possibility of having divine heritage?

No comment.

11) Is it really that easy to create a flying pirate dorm (room), or does the PC/Zoe utilize pre-existing enchantments on the Hedi dorms? If the latter, do the other dorms also have ... interesting ... Enchantments on them?

Pre existing, and yes, they all do have a millenia of enchantments on them. :)

3) You always can come up with your own idea for a familiar in the writers corner. But even if you do both adventures and the all stats for the familiar it still don't means that the will put it into the game but it is very likely.

Edit:

So Omni Mages who focused on all legal magic Pillars for the first 2 years can become great Artificers?

Edit2:

About 11) Iks ... I just think about the BattleMace adventure this can result in really interesting results at some point ^^

5) At what level would a Revisionist be capable of creating the changes in a human body required to let the human purr?

Hmmm. You *might* be able to have the skill to do that in Y2. Just, uh, be careful. :)

Step 1: Master Revision

Step 2: Become great friends with Catherine

Step 3: Revise her to be able to purr ("Yes, I know exactly what I'm doing ... now hold still, and try not to breathe") :blink:

Step 4: Call Catherine "Kitty" and rub her tummy :ph34r:

Step 5: Gate out. Quickly. Too slow. Run. I hear the Dragon Empire is *wonderful* this time of year ....

10) Pending the results of #9, has it been specifically confirmed that Catherine Chard has no possibility of having divine heritage?

No comment.

Personal Head-canon: That fortune-teller in Catherine's Adventure is not a quack, and Catherine will become the next Empress of the Empire of Man United. B)

11) Is it really that easy to create a flying pirate dorm (room), or does the PC/Zoe utilize pre-existing enchantments on the Hedi dorms? If the latter, do the other dorms also have ... interesting ... Enchantments on them?

Pre existing, and yes, they all do have a millenia of enchantments on them. :)

My Enchanters are all going to have so much fun examining all the buildings :)

3) You always can come up with your own idea for a familiar in the writers corner. But even if you do both adventures and the all stats for the familiar it still don't means that the will put it into the game but it is very likely.

Yeah, I ... I tried making one. Then I tried making an Adventure and figured it wasn't worth it after the third time my eyes crossed when trying to figure out how to put one together by looking at one of the other Familiar Adventures.

Oh, new question: So I was looking through the Mod Tools at the different Emotions, and there's one called "Soaring Among the Towers" ... with a prerequisite of Insight > 99. Uh ... is that right? (I apologize if this is the wrong area to ask this sort of question.)

Ohhh .... I have no idea how that happened. :( I hate trying to learn new forum behaviours :mad:

Edited by Entropy Judge

I... see my character focusing more on spellcasting than artificing. Sure, understanding the basics of enchanting can in fact be useful, and I Intend to know more than the bare minimum on that subject for utility, but I certainly wouldn't be on par with a vernin student. Maybe serve as an assistant or use complicated magics with some instructions.

To me it now makes very much sense why people who have the choice in college most likely prefer Vernin.

Sure your only as powerful as you managed to prepare your personal items because you wont be as powerful in your spell casting as other colleges but the flexibility in creating items more then make up for this.

More important magic items can be sold for good money or even be rent.

Artificer are also artisans that can create something lasting that is in direct opposite to the usual short living of spells.

That Vernin only have 2 fixed class in year 1 probably also helps.

Okay, so another Enchantment question (sort of):

So, the Wands we have access to in the game (as first-years) just increase Chance of Success and/or apply a skill boost - so a Wand of Incantation gives +20% CoS to Incantation spells and +1 to Incantation, or whatever the exact benefits are. Is it possible to enchant a Wand to automatically append a Pheme or even a finished spell onto a spell that is cast (in lore, more than WRT game mechanics, since this would probably be difficult to handle). So if you have a Wand that you want to turn into a Wand of Lightning, could you enchant it to stick a Lightning Pheme to any spell that's cast with it, or even the Throw Lightning spell? If it is possible, would it increase the difficulty of the base spell in the same way that adding Phemes manually does? Increase Chance of Failure?

I'm pretty sure everything you're asking about could be done, but that would require using a preloaded wand..... Which can be extremely dangerous if the quality of its manufacture is.... Less than perfect. most of the difficulty would be in making the wand, not casting with it, unless it's flawed. In which case I hope you know the stop, drop, and roll method.

Also I suspect Orthography is involved in their creation.

I'm pretty sure everything you're asking about could be done, but that would require using a preloaded wand.....

Preloaded? I assume that means it comes with spells on it ... I think I've seen it before, and I'd assumed it meant that the wand functioned like a D&D Wand - aim, trigger the wand (however you do it), and it fires off a specific spell. Is that the way preloaded wands work, or is it different?

For a regular wand, Schwarzbart, you may be right, but I was referring to preloaded wands. I'll be willing to bet you a pim that orthography is by far the best choice for preloading wands.

EJ;

That's essentially how they work, correct.

It is possible to have a Wand which appends a Pheme to a Spell, but it would need to be preloaded with the Pheme.

Is Freespace correct in that there won't be any additional difficulties casting other spells unless the wand itself is flawed? Also, would the appending be always on, or would it need to be triggered?

For a regular wand, Schwarzbart, you may be right, but I was referring to preloaded wands. I'll be willing to bet you a pim that orthography is by far the best choice for preloading wands.

From the Legate's replies earlier in the thread, it seems that Orthography is more suited for one-shot effects, and that general Enchantment more suitable for lasting effects (or perhaps it's simply easier to create a durable Enchantment than an endurable Orthographical inscription). It might be that if you simply have a wand that is always "on," you would only need Enchantment, while having one with a triggered effect would require Orthography.

...And possibly ease of application... ;) Specifically on preloaded wands... ;)

Legate, any word the specifics of passing pass/fail classes?

I've built the new class sheets, but I'm waiting on that before I can input the formula