Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

mmm. That's going to be a pain to translate into success on a spreadsheet....

Is there a way to find out the skills of other students in a manner similar to the exams? Perhaps the team can add if they 'pass' or 'fail' in the exam reporting? at least for those two classes. hmmm.

@Legate ups then I have to write a other Professor into who reminded Angelik about the exams.

@freespace , sadly there only 2 ways I can think of 1) your char "learn" about the other student in question 2) You find out how the data is stored in the save files and get it from there. But this is only important for the few students who have a score less then 50%

Yeah. *shudderI* I was afraid that those might be the only ways. I was hoping the legate might offer a new way though...

If there's no alternative, I'll just put the pass mark at 50 using only the 'final exam' grade, and put a disclaimer that a few kids who fail in the sheet might still pass in the game.

I'd rather have something more accurate, though.

Alright, so ... another question. If my memory serves, Legate, you said something about death being a possibility as early as Year 2. Is that only going to be a result of failure of skill rolls (or whatever), or can a player get themselves killed through bad decisions (IE, taking a certain path through an adventure gets you killed even if you Pass all the checks, like in Carnage on the Fields or Cloudy Skies if the player hadn't been saved by a griffin / sheer dumb luck)?

hahaha!

not 'cluck'! it is 'luck'!

There actually is a spell called "luck luck luck luck luck" :P

With a successful Finesse/Phemes Roll v. 11 (drawing a complicated Pheme five times in quick succession isn't as easy as you might think), an enterprising or panicking wizard can enjoy a 2 point Increase to Luck, a 5 point Increase to Pure Luck, and a 75% Increase to the chances of wandering into a Random Event. At the same time, Danger Sense and Planning both Decrease by 4 - there's just no way to see all the strange stuff coming. Effects last for one very strange week.

"Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck" isn't one of those spells that finds its way into many textbooks - people who need it have a way of finding it on their own, generally just as they're about to be gored by rampaging provoxi, or are about to give a speech to a packed hall of drunk Vilocean mercenaries expecting exotic dancers. The effects are hard to predict, for obvious reasons, but there are times when there are just no better alternatives.

hahaha!

not 'cluck'! it is 'luck'!

There actually is a spell called "luck luck luck luck luck" :P

How is that spell obtained?

I kinda like stories where some characters get unbelievably lucky, like on the adventure "Pop Quiz" if you pick that path or certain random events. Bending probability is a pretty awesome kind of magic, and I assume the luck attribute is really just subconscious use of a skill similar to Pure Luck. Either that or it represents the favor/attention of the gods, if they are still active that is.

I kind of wonder how common luck is amongst non-magicians/heroes, it seems strange things happen to our characters almost like they are some sort of weirdness magnet.

EJ;

Yes, you will be able to shuffle off the mortal coil, but it happens at the pinnacles of the most difficult Adventures. You never need to do those, and you can avoid the dangerous parts through careful play, for the most part. It's a risk, but not really a severe one.

So it's more "Fail the last skill check in an incredibly dangerous situation" than "accidentally set yourself up to fail"?

...You *might* want to add some incantation to that list. :)

Edit: Legate, there are Negations that compel truths, but can a witty player choose which truths to tell?

"No, I've never studied Gates at the Academagia." (That's not necessarily a lie even if you're a master from attending Schohanwicht.)

Along with feigning offense at questions and redirecting the subject, I think that can go a long way in deflecting suspicion.

Edit 2: Legate, where on earth did THIS picture com from?

Is there a reason why adults in our adventures not using the duel circles when making a duel?

I.e. in the Frontino Adventure my char would love nothing more then to put the 2 squabbler to a regulated duel where the loser had to leave the isle for ever and give over the building they have in the city to their child.

But what confuse me even more is that in the main adventure of Orso Orsi there is no mention of a duel circle even if both agree to a duel!