Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Can't you make a fire-glamour that might be perceived as heat by snow in order to melt it? I thought that things like that were part of the reason behind the use of Looks over Substance.

I can definately see how Glamour and Incantation are considered the most practiced.

Anyway, legate,

If I wanted to use magic to copy the Venalicium library, (or at least the parts of it that I thought I could still learn from post-gradution) I could see that the librarians (and the school itself) wouldn't want me to for a variety of reasons. If I made the preparations in secret, and arranged a spell to copy the information on said books (without disturbing them) onto a blank tome (or two..) that would be designed not to be legible, but to hold a maximum of info in small print... How many books do you think I could glom in a single night In Y5 just before graduation? (assuming I was interested in text only, I know enchanted books would be a no go)

After it was copied, I would be able to leisurely recopy portions of the highly compressed tome into legible books whenever I wanted/needed.

Freespace I supect this come down how good your in the magic that can fast copy books and how many books are protected by even simple magic against fast copying.

So for this you most likely have to be good in Revision or Calligraphy. But there might be other methods like a mind library that serve to the same end where you can use other type of magic.

But if you go the slow way in manual copy a book you end up using up a lot of timeslots per book and most likely end knowing nearly all that is in this book afterwards already.

I think it'd be more productive to spend your time establishing contacts in Mineta (or wherever your character plans on settling down) that can get you easy access to other libraries. Surely the Academagia's libraries aren't the only ones in existence where you can study magic.

Surely Revision spells have been designed to allow you to squeeze several normal books' worth of material into one book. If my one book was large, (think of the largest bibles for practical use) and set to have text so small you would probably need a microscope to see it... How many books from the library could I squeeze into my tome of ill-gotten knowledge? My goal is to use only one or two such books, sneak into the library the middle of the night, copy away, and be gone before there was a chnce for a librarian to find anything out of place...

Legate, I promise to you that I will not nail your quotes to my signature. Until I need to compare the wait for Y3 with our current wait, which will be some time now.

*watches intensely*

I couldn't think of anything catchy to say in it, so I just put in a filler until that time that I come up with something.

Of course I could threaten to put my sig of quotes from the Legate back, plus a few more I've found for good measure, unless he spills some information, but I won't.

Maybe I'll draw a picture. heheh.

Well, maybe this will help speed up the process of your asking. I call it "The Allure of the Forbidden." I suck at art, but I think this came out pretty good for a work of MS paint.

24qllc5.jpg

Its also a question if the bookspirits leave you alone when you try to use magic on their books.

Wouldn't that depend on if its one of the carnivorous spirits? And what spell you use? Some of them might even try to make students cast particular spells on their books as a dietary supplement.

I'm glad you like the picture. You know, drawing it made me think of something. How hard is it to clean up Pigments of the Airy Void? This particular Gate was open for some time as you can see by the splatter on the floor, and I am curious if the pigments can be readily visually identified as the result of Gates Magic?

Free;

The pigments wouldn't be visually identifiable, but of course magic could tell otherwise...

Schwarzbart & Free;

Some answers!

2) Aranaz kids often go for projects of magical/historical scholarship - which can mean anything from spending a year in the Venalicium writing a paper on early Saisyne metalwork to seeking out and enchanting a mirror that belonged to an eighth century duchess so that it would replay scenes from her life.
Avila kids often pick a significant event from their own lives and painstakingly reconstruct the Astrological forces that helped shape it.
Durand kids often try to turn their projects into work-study service with the Minetan guard (i.e., "I want to develop Negation techniques for revealing invisible contraband goods!").
Godina really varies depending on the passions of the kids; some write symphonies, some go semi-pro in Rimbal (with Massioti's enthusiastic blessings), and some try to combine Incantation effects into genuinely novel spells.
Hedi encourages public service - you might work as a page for the Court of Grace or some civil society and then write a perfunctory paper with presentation at the end.
Morvidus projects tend to send kids out into the Imperial Reserve, often to magically tag one or more animals and study their habits for a year.
And, of course, Vernin kids usually make something utterly awesome - an enchanted staff is traditional, but not required.
For the familiars, capable of speech from the outset? We think it's just Pamela, the Shade, the Strange Doll, and the Sprite. [Also parrots and some crows, though none of the players have any of those.] In the future, it's something the Muffler could naturally learn - if only by "eating" useful words and regurgitating them when needed. And it's probably something the Faux Dragon will try to figure out how to do all on its own. And it's remotely possible the carnivorous plant will gain the ability just to freak people out (maybe with help from Girars). All the others would probably require some kind of magical intervention.