Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Metis;

As can be expected, there is much supervision. :)

Even better :rolleyes:. I suspect my planned student really needs to suck up to Finus Piaxenza in order to get away with what I want to get away with. Not that I didn't intent to do that already.

Come to think of it is it know in what aspects of dreams he's researching, like the prophetic ones seen in...the Mjolnir adventure or is he just researching them in general? I'm hoping my kid can (eventually) help him with that personally, directly or indirectly. Because being a teacher's pet is useful when it concerns your Regent, methinks (besides which with a focus on Empathy and Ethics I'll probably be a teacher's pet regardless).

EDIT: How does Y2 determine what Familiar a student had in Y1? I'm thinking of coding a quick mod so that I won't have to go through character creation dozens of times if I decide to go with an exotic one, but I don't know if Y2 will tolerate non-vanilla Familiar backgrounds even if they give out vanilla Familiars.

Edited by Metis

Schwarzbart;

1) I imagine that the answer is yes, although this is not likely to be a part of approved school activities. ;)

2) It's not uncommon, although giving a Familiar a wand is often in violation of local law.

Metis;

3) I believe it's set, as a part of the Character. It *should* tolerate non-vanilla Familiars and Backgrounds, provided that those same mods are available. That is the intent, although no guarantees!

The Discoveries: Libraries background mentions "You're drawn to books, and your affinity for them is clear to any librarian who sees you at play among the paper. Shortly before the beginning of the academic year, you sought out all the reading material you could find, and you impressed people in high places.". Is that last part going to come back in later years (say, when you put together your own library in Y2 IIRC)? I'm trying to piece together the backgrounds for my Y2 kid and not having to come within a mile of Train is really tempting, but I'm not sure if I can justify the point spend if I "just" get earliest access to something I'll get early access to anyway.

Sounds like only a minor bonus than, which is a shame because I have only few background points to spend and early library access is incredibly awesome for how inefficient it is. I still haven't decided on the class load, either. Choices, choices. If only I had a better idea of what those choices will do for me come DLC 17 and Y2 ;).

Sounds like only a minor bonus than, which is a shame because I have only few background points to spend and early library access is incredibly awesome for how inefficient it is. I still haven't decided on the class load, either. Choices, choices. If only I had a better idea of what those choices will do for me come DLC 17 and Y2 ;).

The Discoveries: Libraries background was great till the DLC where we got the Venalicium Library right at the start of the game, now the important thing it gives you is the visitation rights maybe even during the summer break.

The Visitation Rights aren't important for me, at least, since it's so low naturally and I'm not above save cheese anyway. What's important is not having to spend a week studying in the Venalicium before I get any sort of training going, especially because I want to Befriend Zoe ASAP so the Venalicium will be inefficient itself.

Visitation rights for the libraries are very important to me, even if I was unwilling to spend a background point on it. I really hope we'll have the chance to get formal visitation rights to these places in Y2.

1) Is it possible to check for the stress level of the player char in a adventure (i.e. <5 or =>5) ?

2) Is it also possible that a student who managed to find a new breakthrough in magic during the previous year just write a research paper about this in year 5?

(See my suggestion here and the follow up here)

Heh, I giggle at the thought of turning in a research paper on Gates and Mastery associations in many phemes still in use, and calling to ban them all in a reverse-psychology attempt at an unban.

In the Days when Mastery was taught at the academagia, the pillar was much larger than it is today, due largely to reclassification of various phemes/spells that became neccessary to save them from banishment, because although they had similar effects, they were deemed to have different (and more socially acceptible) mechanical functions.

1. Understanding this fact, how are these phemes/spells treated, particularly in a historical context? Do I have to look up wizards of questionable legal status to learn the history of certain legal spells?

--------------------

Beginning Y2 there will be some classes you won't be able to take, depending on your College- so you'll fall behind somewhat there. These are all techniques, though, so you'll be able to stay competitive in the basics.

2. Is this because some classes are restricted only to students belonging to the college that teaches it? Is it a thing that can be overcome through hard work/taking a copy of the class textbook and self teaching yourself?