Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

So just if I got it right the only effect missing class in year 1 will have in year 2 is that you lose the perfect attendance bonus.

Sure there will be some indirect influence like how high the risk of detention at the end of year 1 is and if you got Hall Sessions and such from missing class but that also could be because of other things as year 2 don't special check what the reason was in year 1 for the Detention / Hall session.

But skipping class in year 2 will actual have a worse effect then it had ever in year 1.

Can Astrology theoretically be used to harness massive amounts of power through tapping into stuff like the moon, various planets in the solar system or distant stars? Or is that kind of manipulation really Incantation?

Has any wizards ever done so? Even on a "small" scale it could allow a self-sustaining enchantment to keep going or something.

Also is it possible to create an enchantment which maintains itself by draining the surrounding area of energy? Like heat energy or life energy (that's a thing right?)?

Dream;

Astrology is more about 'destiny' and 'fate', although the moon and planets play heavy influences in that.

It is possible to create such an enchantment, although it cannot maintain itself- duration is a function of the original caster. It could draw energy from the surroundings in order to power effects, however.

Y2 should also have more useful classes though, what with needing to Research and all. Y1 classes can only barely compete with Train, and even than only if you have a good class load.

You know that I actual have made a mod to get the weak classes to be around the level of train. (for one class I even added ~40% to what was there before)

There's something I've been wondering about magic.

Thought experiment: A wizard casts a spell negating gravity within an area of space, designed in order to lift a small lake.

Lets say it rains and there is now about twice the water it was designed for, in what manner would it fail?

I see a few options:

1. Critical failure, all stops (somewhat confusing as the spell was for an overall area, maybe makes sense if the spell was too specific).

2. It doesn't fail as the area is the same even if more mass moves through per second (well it might rise slightly).

3. It fails a little at a time, the "spillage" simply not getting lifted.

4. Something else happens.

I guess it's mainly a question about the nature of negation magic, if it simply negated gravity utterly it'd keep going no matter what passed through, unless it also drains power the more objects it has to do that to (unlike real gravity).

As fare I understand Negation there is no partial either your Negation is powerful enough or it have no effect.

So the result from you example could be that it simply rain trough your flying pool of water to keep the mass the same or the spell end complete as soon he weight get to much.

But this depend on the design of the spell and not Negation it self.

I'm not sure but I suspect its by fare more difficult to mess with the gravity of a area instead of just remove the effect of gravity to a object.

It might even come into the category theoretical possible but no one managed to tell about a success because there can so much go wrong with that including the complete isle falling back to the ground.

It might even come into the category theoretical possible but no one managed to tell about a success because there can so much go wrong with that including the complete isle falling back to the ground.

I doubt any old Negation spell could undo the magic of the floating islands, you'd need one to (try to) accomplish specifically that. But if it could that'd be one way to make sure whoever accomplished it didn't live to tell the tale.

I doubt any old Negation spell could undo the magic of the floating islands, you'd need one to (try to) accomplish specifically that. But if it could that'd be one way to make sure whoever accomplished it didn't live to tell the tale.

You forget there are upper and lower limits we could get and if you manage a isle to drop without also lift this limit the complete isle fanish and the material is reformed at the place where the Wellspring is. Because the Wellspring is some kind of gate exit point its depend on other laws.

Dream;

Schwarzbart is correct- you need to negate for an entity of some kind. It can have a specific definition, such as a brick, or something a little more amorphous, like a lake. You cannot, however, negate an area.

That said, it is possible to negate for an entity, and then have *that* effect have a radius, and so on.

The islands themselves never move?

Also does that mean that the above-mentioned hypothetical wizard careless that he was simply specified all water entering said area to lose the gravitational pull, he would leave a pile of mud, particles and fish and lift absolutely pure and distilled water?

That by itself sounds extremely useful for extracting drinking water.

I would think that gravity is only one factor in water physics. There would surely be a big churning while it happened, and combined with drag, friction, etc, etc, I would expect the water to be mostly the same quality, or a little worse. drinkable probably if it was before, but definately not distilled.

How do you define pure water tough ? If you mean only H2O then I think a spell that acts on molecular level is probably pretty hard then you have to probably limit it to liquid state or the H2O in gazes will also be affected.

Also how a slope is supposed to work in already gravity free liquid ? that doesn't seem really effective... .

Even then I agree with Free I don't see why other particle in the water are more likely to "fall" due to gravity than before.

If it wasn't heavy enough to "sink" before the water levitate then it won't "fall" after the water became gravity free that for big object like fish or even humans.

For small particle gravitational pull is pretty insignificant in comparison to molecular/electrical forces especially in non solid particle so I don't think it will change much.

Well I was thinking if the water is traveling forward and suddenly there is nothing underneath it due to a slope it will continue forward without ground under it, then suddenly anything at all will be heavier than water (as it no longer has any weight) and will start dropping to the bottom which is gone. Possibly fish may be able to stay though, not really foolproof by itself.

The problem is that gravitational pull usually is pretty small because it operates with the difference between the two substances, but if one of them suddenly had zero pull while the other one retained full pull... The results would be unlike what we usually see in the natural world, magical really.

If the magic specifications aren't automatically that exact then it'll probably be really difficult to obtain such an effect though.

Well i didn't see water that had no mass rather a counter force to gravity that makes water "float" or gravity that "doesn't work on water" because a fluid with no mass is well difficult to imagine, :/

The only physical example of such a phenomenon are photon. So your water will probably share... light propriety... .

Since it has no mass then if the water is traveling forward as you stated then it will quickly achieve light speed as no mass means no drag, no friction only continual acceleration and since that means also means water is actually pure energy (or will quickly become just that) it will probably cease to be a liquid or even water fairly quickly too.

Those kinds of theory are beyond my knowledge of physics but yeah 0 mass is not something trivial in science. That I know (and everything zero really... that never is far from infinity).