Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

2] What are the languages mirroring? I know Merrilean (ha.. ha.. spelling) is french, and I'm guessing that ancient elumien is latin. And Monteon is le spah-neesh, but what about everything else?

IIRC Bassan is Arabic, (old) Elumian is Latin, Merilien is French, Montene...nese? Well it was Spanish, but that island had Bad Things happen to it. Oncestrian is actually English, Renaglian AKA modern Elumian is Italian, and Vilocian is German.

Schwarzbart;

There are extensive cataloged and uncataloged libraries on the grounds- over the centuries, many mages, nobles and wealthy merchants have deeded their private collections to the university, which has then stored them 'temporarily' in various places. Some are archived, some have not been- and even those that have been archived may not have been very thoroughly.

Ronikai;

1] Antonio is Monteon, but there isn't a heritage choice for that

True. :)

2] What are the languages mirroring? I know Merrilean (ha.. ha.. spelling) is french, and I'm guessing that ancient elumien is latin. And Monteon is le spah-neesh, but what about everything else?

What Metis wrote. There are several others, but that was the main list.

3] Also, Oan mentioned being a thing... Thing-thing that lived in a bubble. Is this another heritage, or are they a part of a province... Or... Something... Common... Wealth...? *cough*

They are *inside* a province, but it is not a Heritage.

4] And are we going to meet other races? Iustus is a werewolf, and Rassent is some kind of fae, so that means that there are other humanoid races out there,yea? Are they nosed down on? Protected by some Renaglian form of people-pita?

What Schwarzbart said. There's also a Minoatur smith, and so on. ;)

They are definitely looked down upon, although that tends to vary based on the race. You rarely see them in the Upper City at any rate.

Schwarzbart;

There are extensive cataloged and uncataloged libraries on the grounds- over the centuries, many mages, nobles and wealthy merchants have deeded their private collections to the university, which has then stored them 'temporarily' in various places. Some are archived, some have not been- and even those that have been archived may not have been very thoroughly.

Nice evasive answer so you can add new ones in each year ^^

Hey, I like the idea of finding more places to get into mischief!

Legate, What was the largest of these private collections, and was it ever absorbed into the school's library system?

So THAT'S the reason why the OC keeps finding and/or falling into random libraries. Also, that means that kids can enter unarchived AND HIGHLY forbidden libraries then? Because what Schwarzbart said really had my think-pan frying just now. (Pdotsdot thanks for the link)

So the Monteon's had a "Bad Thing" happen? Is that why it's not heritage? (Aside from the fact that Antonio came as an add-on)

This game is so crazy intense with its lore. This would make an excellent series of anything. Show... Comic... Manga... So endless ={0

You should read the description of the Library of the Forbidden sometime. It's already the research location for the Mastery parent skill and I imagine that in Y2 the PC might learn it's secret.

Well that entire island either blew up, dissolved or broke apart or...something come the end of the Calamities. So while it's not impossible for someone to have Monteonese heritage if their family wasn't on the island when that happened (Antonio is the son of two mercenaries, IIRC, so I imagine he's travelled a lot), there's significantly fewer of them than there were in the past. I also imagine that those few are significantly more...oh, what's the word...diluted? Genetically speaking, I mean, I imagine that very few of the surviving Monteons(?) actually managed to continue breeding with others carrying their heritage as opposed to people from any other heritage. Though the Calamities might have been so recent an event that Antonio is part of the first generation of those genetically doomed survivors, I'm not sure if 1657 Post Calamities means 1657 years after the Calamities started, after they ended, how long the Calamities actually went on or if it's just a measure of...something insignificant.

*Look up* Yeah, I'll believe the first part. Less so the second. I find that anything adapted from a game is usually of lesser quality than the game itself, especially in this day and age of "slap an IP name on this (POPULAR (and actually good but let's ignore that because eh effort :mellow:) GAME HERE) clone for instant bags of money", although in fairness the reverse also applies. Heck, the reverse especially.

All;

Yep- new libraries will come each year- I'll have to ask what was the largest to be incorporated.

Monteon famously fell from the sky, burning and spewing ash. Most of it fell over a period of a week, slowly descending to be ripped apart by the maelstrom, while other pieces fell more precipitously. 1657 was the year of the fall, PC is anything after that.

That. Pun. That was awesome. So technically speaking almost anyone can claim to have Monteon in their veins, but they won't have the distinct features of one. I really do wonder how this calamity occurred. It could have happened naturally, but what if it was a negation spell gone wrong? Spells going wrong seems to be the number one hazard to everyone in the world.

Also, are there, like.... "Sanctuaries" for those that don't/can't use magic? A bit like how the orthodox amish don't use electronics and such. Since everyone has the ability to use magic right? It's just that some people are better at it. *cough* ourpc's *cough*

Ah, I understand. I think I know who you're talking about too. I was wondering because of the "negated" background. Let's just say because of that the pc decided "Nope, magic sucks" and then went somewhere. I would think that there would be isolated areas with anti-magicers.... Or maybe there are areas that are "wizards only". Since the mage-wizard war seems to be an intense one

I think personally the spritely bead might be related to people being able or unable to use magic. It's possible that the magic of a mage might be sealed up inside one so as to prevent them from using it. However if nother mage had it they might be more powerful on the basis of having two people's worth of magic. Just my thought....

Is the description of Slip the Master's Mark, specifically "It's also worth noting that you can now be sure they didn't magically alter your personality in any way with the Mark", just poorly worded or can magic tattoos like the Mark and the Coster's tattoo alone change a bearer's personality? If the former, it should probably be changed to something like "It's also worth noting that you can now be sure they didn't magically alter your personality in any way when they placed the Mark", so it doesn't imply the Mark itself is what would have made the change.

Or I'm just a complete fool and English classes taught me nothing, in which case just pretend I never said that.

I think what the pc meant was that "So the mark didn't change my mind about wanting to control people". Like, if the pc wanted to learn how to control people the whole time, and wanted to use synch in that way somehow, but then found out what the mark did (as in the mark making you unable to use true mastery). Like how glamour can make people happier and more receptive to suggestions, maybe the pc thought that the mark would make them not want to control people.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense X{D

Oh that makes sense, the problem with how it's phrased currently is that it can be interpreted as it being the Mark - just the Mark - that could have made that change. Meaning that similar marks, like possibly the Coster's tattoo, could have the same effect. As I'm sure that's not intended the phrasing should be changed to specify it's the process of placing the Mark that could have caused the change, since that's specific to only the Master's Mark as far as I know, and not to any old magic tattoo.