Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Ah, so if someone were to speak up against the Gates ban now there'd probably be a bad reaction? Would the speaker be arrested solely for speaking out or "merely" put on every watch list up to an included the one chiselled in the guard house's kitchen sink?

No, I think the legate was basically saying that the climate in fact is such that a unbanning is possible. (though not guaranteed) In Pievre there already is discussion on unbanning them, and if such a thing were to happen soon with a favorable reaction, well..

Although that discussion doesn't involve Mastery at all, I'd almost be willing to bet that Mastery phemes are somehow involved with the Gates Chaos factor. Meaning that at least those would have to be unbanned too, meaning it wouldn't be too long after that the whole unbanning of Mastery happened. It would be up to the player to establish a working system to make sure both didn't ever get banned again.

Anyway, certain public discussions on Gates ARE tolerated, even if one at that location hasn't happened yet. See Random Event - The Old Debate

1) How much are the professor count on older students to keep order at academagia outside of the classrooms?

2) Why would a Negation mage use any more specific spell then a simple 2 Pheme Dispell spell to counter a oponent spell during a fight? I might see it wrong but when I have to wait till I'm nearly sure that the oponent draw spell X or pheme Y the chance get to big the enemy is finished with the spell before me even if I already draw the border ahead of time.

Since the legate is so busy not checking up on us I have taken it upon myself to make this post affirming such, in order to start making speculations as to the reasons why this may be.

I think that the team must be especially busy and may be very close to doing some big release. Hopefully it's a combined DLC 17 release along with the Steam Y1 Release. If both of these finally get out of the way, then we will finally start moving into Y2 territory, which would be nice seeing as how 2015 is now over halfway over...

I also expect that the save converter shouldn't take too long to get released also (especially if the team has been working on it already), although depending on how smoothly it converts saves we may be stuck at that stage for a while.

Once we get the save converters properly converting our saves for Y2, I also expect Y2 to be nearly done. The Legate has said that Y2 looked better several months ago than Y1 did on release,. so I feel that a large part of the remaining time between now and the day we get Y2 is probably going to be bottlenecks, which our current Legate's absence could indicate that at least one of them has just been overcome.

Now then, Let's get to the real questions. Just so the Legate can be flustered when he finally checks back up on us. Chime in everybody!

1. Do harpies exist in setting?

2. Will Emotions carry over into Y2? (If I am under the effect of one on Y1 27 kaliri will I still be on one at Y2 28 kailiri?)

I put the questions asked in the last postings together into one to make it easier when the Legate got time again.

1) How much are the professor count on older students to keep order at academagia outside of the classrooms?

2) Why would a Negation mage use any more specific spell then a simple 2 Pheme Dispell spell to counter a oponent spell during a fight? I might see it wrong but when I have to wait till I'm nearly sure that the oponent draw spell X or pheme Y the chance get to big the enemy is finished with the spell before me even if I already draw the border ahead of time.

3) And while we're at it, could you explain how the patrol system works in setting

4) Do harpies exist in setting?

5) Will Emotions carry over into Y2? (If I am under the effect of one on Y1 27 kaliri will I still be on one at Y2 28 kailiri?)

6) What keep you from answearing our questions in the last days? (Speculation your bussy with BCS things like testing year 1 or on a trip)

Also possible is that the Legate is working with the forum administrator to fix the various problems the forum has, like the borken quote blocks, Paz' mysterious disappearance, the HTML volcano problem and the outage that happened a few days back.

Alternatively something Steam related came up and for whatever reason the Legate's presence was needed for the discussion...although what that could be I can't even imagine.

EDIT: 7) How friendly is Y2 import with regards to modding vanilla backgrounds to change the effects they have (and the description to match), but not the names? Also, how friendly it is to "forgetting" about non-vanilla background that are solely mechanical things and serve no story purpose whatsoever?

For context: I'm thinking about, when DLC 17 and the new mod base rolls out (since for this I need an updated mod base), to mod out all attribute gains from standard backgrounds and instead add a zero-story relevance "background" that adds +howevermany background points as well as a slew of story-less backgrounds that do nothing but increase an attribute by +1 or +2. That way a character can have a nice and beefy +7 to attributes along with some amount of background points to spend on that character's background rather than having every character hunt down Shattered Mirrors, Spiritual, Centre of Attention and Comet at least because the attribute points they give are just invaluable compared to everything else.

If that's horribly unbalanced, eh, I'll figure the details out as I go. Bigger point right now is figuring out if it's even possible. Oh, and the +attribute backgrounds are necessary because of the hard limit on background points spend on the Talents screen, but I don't think +5 is enough.

Edited by Metis

*Appear*

A fairly great deal; but they rely more on a love of learning, busywork and the need to practice to keep order, typically.

During a Duel, it's more likely you would use the simpler spell. It really depends on what the casting speed of the opponent is...

3) And while we're at it, could you explain how the patrol system works in setting

As alluded to in question 1, many Students self organize patrols to keep themselves and their College safe from pranks, busy bodies, and to enforce the rules of their Dormitories.

4) Do harpies exist in setting?

Yes; Cassatta in particular was once famed for them.

5) Will Emotions carry over into Y2? (If I am under the effect of one on Y1 27 kaliri will I still be on one at Y2 28 kailiri?)

Yes.

6) What keep you from answearing our questions in the last days? (Speculation your bussy with BCS things like testing year 1 or on a trip)

Comic-Con! Interesting news from there, although I cannot say a thing. ;)

7) How friendly is Y2 import with regards to modding vanilla backgrounds to change the effects they have (and the description to match), but not the names? Also, how friendly it is to "forgetting" about non-vanilla background that are solely mechanical things and serve no story purpose whatsoever?

It's intended to be very friendly, but not guaranteed. What you describe should work just fine.

Thanks to Schwarzbart for collating!

Excellent, in that case I think I'll make those modifications when DLC 17 comes out. Some quick toying around with the idea on Notepad does suggest that it'll give my character a fairly significant advantage stat-wise, but honestly between that and having everyone start with largely identical backgrounds I'll take the former any day.

Really, who here has ever even looked at stuff like Astrology: Dawn or Omen: Flock of Birds over Comet/Shattered Mirrors? It's surprisingly fun to just read through all the options available when attributes aren't a concern.

1. If a student acquired 10 in all the legal pillars in their first year, would that trigger interest from certain people? Given my own desires on omni-ism, I simply wonder if at such a point in Y2 where clearly we are going to be pressured to start specializing, if there was a way to determine which pillar is best suited for so that a choice could come easier.

2. Will a form of multi-pillar casting be available to us in Y2?

3. In terms of intentional raw destructive power, would Incantation or Gates take the top spot? Or some other Pillar? (Gasp)

4. If a Schohanwicht instructor was asked on their opinion of Mastery, what would they likely say?

5. Of all the students of a given year, how many would you say pick up at least a skill of 10 in negation? (Just for interest's sake)

6. What does the student rumor mill say about Orsi's spellcasting ability?

7. Given the politics surrounding the Academagia, if a student's life was suspected to be in danger upon leaving the school for summer break, what would happen?

8. Is the writing for DLC17 finished yet?

9. Will we have any ability in Y2 to set exactly how our Academagia tuition is arranged, if our Y1 backgrounds don't already provide for it?

10. If a wizard was going to consider a military career, exactly how would they fit into the ranks? As officers? seeing as how there is no real-life analogue and I suspect the elemental warriors are kind of...unique mercenaries... rather than traditional military material.

11. How hard would it be to cast a spell of an overloaded airship to allow it to reach a port that would be too high for it, for say a day until it could unload it's cargo?

12. Given that airships are differently shaped from age-of-sail ships from real life, I was wondering if their armaments were located in interesting places as well. Would a ship have cannons at the bottom of the ship aimed downward if only to protect the keel from sneaky under attacks?

13. Are there airship races? even if they're only informal, like this:

14. Can Glamour be used to increase the potency of the effects of drugs like alcohol?

15. Given that we know that Ghosts, Homuncuil, as well as created Monsters were used as Familiars by Gates Mages, I was curious about what, if any animals, might have been associated with Mastery Mages and their Familiars?

Free & Schwarzbart;

1. If a student acquired 10 in all the legal pillars in their first year, would that trigger interest from certain people? Given my own desires on omni-ism, I simply wonder if at such a point in Y2 where clearly we are going to be pressured to start specializing, if there was a way to determine which pillar is best suited for so that a choice could come easier.

I think the answer is yes, but I don't think there's anything mechanically or story-related which is triggered, at least in Y2.

2. Will a form of multi-pillar casting be available to us in Y2?

More than one.

3. In terms of intentional raw destructive power, would Incantation or Gates take the top spot? Or some other Pillar? (Gasp)

Incantation is the likely answer.

4. If a Schohanwicht instructor was asked on their opinion of Mastery, what would they likely say?

HmmmmMMMMMMM. Nooooo comment.

5. Of all the students of a given year, how many would you say pick up at least a skill of 10 in negation? (Just for interest's sake)

None, probably. Maybe Durand. :)

6. What does the student rumor mill say about Orsi's spellcasting ability?

It's exceptional.

7. Given the politics surrounding the Academagia, if a student's life was suspected to be in danger upon leaving the school for summer break, what would happen?

No special measures, unless the Faculty particularly liked you.

8. Is the writing for DLC17 finished yet?

No- usually that's only finalized about a week before the launch. They like to tinker. ;)

9. Will we have any ability in Y2 to set exactly how our Academagia tuition is arranged, if our Y1 backgrounds don't already provide for it?

Not in Y2.

10. If a wizard was going to consider a military career, exactly how would they fit into the ranks? As officers? seeing as how there is no real-life analogue and I suspect the elemental warriors are kind of...unique mercenaries... rather than traditional military material.

They are officers, although usually they have their own set of ranks.

11. How hard would it be to cast a spell of an overloaded airship to allow it to reach a port that would be too high for it, for say a day until it could unload it's cargo?

Depending on how, and your skill, it would range from difficult to impossible.

12. Given that airships are differently shaped from age-of-sail ships from real life, I was wondering if their armaments were located in interesting places as well. Would a ship have cannons at the bottom of the ship aimed downward if only to protect the keel from sneaky under attacks?

Indeed!

13. Are there airship races? even if they're only informal, like this:

Yes!

14. Can Glamour be used to increase the potency of the effects of drugs like alcohol?

Definitely.

15. Given that we know that Ghosts, Homuncuil, as well as created Monsters were used as Familiars by Gates Mages, I was curious about what, if any animals, might have been associated with Mastery Mages and their Familiars?

Hmmm. I will have to defer to the Lores here, muahahahah.

16) Will the Vernin adventure where the player visit the great wall have a year 2 follow up? For me this story sound like it is finished.

It does have a follow on, yes.

16) Will the Vernin adventure where the player visit the great wall have a year 2 follow up? For me this story sound like it is finished.

Well there's that powerfull rogue mage that we kinda "befriended" and who wants to controll Dragons that might be free at the end of the adventure depending on your choices.

That's sounds like a good start for a follow up.

Well there's that powerfull rogue mage that we kinda "befriended" and who wants to controll Dragons that might be free at the end of the adventure depending on your choices.

That's sounds like a good start for a follow up.

Jea forgot about the other path as I usualy crashland the Red Ship. But your right I doubt anyone can stop a mage that learned to cast powerful spells just with his tongue.

1) Is tattoo-magic possible with a ink that blend with the skin color and so is invisble unless someone inspect the body part very close?

2) What is needed to activate tattoo magic? Just concentration, touch or something else?´

3) If a person with tattoo magic on the skin is shapechanged into something that have the same number of limbs would the tattoo magic stay intact and even can be activated in the new shape?

3b) If the tattoo magic is temporary disabled when shapchanged is it possible to have different tattoo magic depending on the shape? (i.e. for a shapeshift for the animal form)