Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Schwarzbart;

1) Some tattoos can appear latently, but always end up expressing themselves when you cast magic.

2) It depends on the tattoo, but usually it's contorting the tattoo in some way.

3a) Except in very unique cases, the tattoo is rendered unusable in the new form.

3b) If you really planned it well, it's possible. Very complex, though.

"Well, I'm sure that was an oversight. Next time he wont have a tongue"

LOL!

Speaking of Gates/Mastery users in captivity, I might ask as to how trials for illegal magic are held and if there was anything particularly unusual with the way that Dicossa was bound. (Ignoring the circumstances behind why he was held, or whether the aultrines had legal justification to take it upon themselves to hold him as they did)

I assume the legate means that you have to interact with the tattoo somehow. Perhaps the act of physically running your finger (if enchanted for the purpose) over the tattoo in a certain fashion will allow it to activate.

Schwarzbart & Free;

It can be a physical interaction (such as Free suggests), but could also include twisting it or deforming in a very specific way. This kind of tattoo usually has a 'tail', which is connected to the main tattoo but far enough away where it can more easily be twisted. Activation is usually complex.

Pru has 45 Funds and 50 PA, which IIRC wouldn't suggest that her parents are especially wealthy, let alone rich.

Of course that might just be because Pru lacks on the Parental Approval side of things, rather than her parents lacking deep pockets, so I'onno.

1. Will classes like Arithmetic and Geometry be available in Y2, or at least can we hire tutors for certain skills during summer break? I think I may put some effort into learning those simply because I overlooked them in favor of learning the pillars. According to their descriptions and the lores I think getting them at least to 10 would be good for my character's spellcasting.

2. Does learning a type of magic make you more sensitive to similar magic around you? Say if I had a 10 in Incantation, would I be more likely to pick up on a hidden-in-plain-sight Incantation spell? And would that work regardless of pillars? So you could more easily pick up on Mastery magic in your vicinity if you were a negator regardless if you had cast a spell to find it or not?

3. In the chimney crows adventure, those Gates badges that allowed for teleportation technically would have left a Gates aura on the kids who used them, right? I suppose the odds of people looking for Gates aura on them is low because they're basically street urchins, but how long would that aura last on them?

4. If you could put a percentage marker on Y2's completedness, where would you put it?

5. As I was pretty busy focusing on my own skills in Y1, I mostly Neglected Pam except for her adventure. Will we see more powerful tools for training our familiars in Y2? Even I would do a little training, especially since I'm sure it would be easier to raise her pillar skills to 10 than raise up my level caps at some point in the future.

6. From all the interactions that the Player has (or rather, can have) with Orsi in Y1, I have to ask if there aren't other similar cases involving the other students? Because I definitely feel for him if so. He clearly has a rather full schedule dealing with ex-Legates who want to ruin something and chasing down kidnapped students, to say nothing of investigating islands that just appear over Mineta, deal with someone attacking the Wall, and keep an eye on Von Rupprecht? I almost pity seeing what Y2 has in store for poor old Orsi... :(

7. What is the toughest fight that College Aranaz had in regards to it's continued existence? How long ago was it?

8. I suppose I can understand wanting to keep things secret so that there will always be new stuff every time a new year is released, but it is kind of hard to deal with planning when we don't know what the ends of our studies curtail....

9. In regards to Contu's school, would you be willing to at least tell us what Y2's tuition cost will be so that we can start saving up? I'm going to be counting on them to free up classes at the Academagia.

@Freespace

1) The next DLC hopeful will give access to a school in Mineta where you can learn this skills.

8) Some month back a I got a answear to some typical year 5 focus, need to look if I can find it.

Edit: found it

Aranaz kids often go for projects of magical/historical scholarship - which can mean anything from spending a year in the Venalicium writing a paper on early Saisyne metalwork to seeking out and enchanting a mirror that belonged to an eighth century duchess so that it would replay scenes from her life.

Avila kids often pick a significant event from their own lives and painstakingly reconstruct the Astrological forces that helped shape it.

Durand kids often try to turn their projects into work-study service with the Minetan guard (i.e., "I want to develop Negation techniques for revealing invisible contraband goods!").

Godina really varies depending on the passions of the kids; some write symphonies, some go semi-pro in Rimbal (with Massioti's enthusiastic blessings), and some try to combine Incantation effects into genuinely novel spells.

Hedi encourages public service - you might work as a page for the Court of Grace or some civil society and then write a perfunctory paper with presentation at the end.

Morvidus projects tend to send kids out into the Imperial Reserve, often to magically tag one or more animals and study their habits for a year.

And, of course, Vernin kids usually make something utterly awesome - an enchanted staff is traditional, but not required.

Free;

1. Will classes like Arithmetic and Geometry be available in Y2, or at least can we hire tutors for certain skills during summer break? I think I may put some effort into learning those simply because I overlooked them in favor of learning the pillars. According to their descriptions and the lores I think getting them at least to 10 would be good for my character's spellcasting.

They are available in certain Colleges, but unavailable (except for self study and tutors in Y2)

2. Does learning a type of magic make you more sensitive to similar magic around you? Say if I had a 10 in Incantation, would I be more likely to pick up on a hidden-in-plain-sight Incantation spell? And would that work regardless of pillars? So you could more easily pick up on Mastery magic in your vicinity if you were a negator regardless if you had cast a spell to find it or not?

In the sense that you would know more of the signs to look for, yes.

3. In the chimney crows adventure, those Gates badges that allowed for teleportation technically would have left a Gates aura on the kids who used them, right? I suppose the odds of people looking for Gates aura on them is low because they're basically street urchins, but how long would that aura last on them?

It would, yes, although it might wear off fairly fast, depending on usage.

4. If you could put a percentage marker on Y2's completedness, where would you put it?

HmmmmMMMMMM. No I better not, I'll get into trouble, like last time. :)

5. As I was pretty busy focusing on my own skills in Y1, I mostly Neglected Pam except for her adventure. Will we see more powerful tools for training our familiars in Y2? Even I would do a little training, especially since I'm sure it would be easier to raise her pillar skills to 10 than raise up my level caps at some point in the future.

Yes, it's both more visible and easier to train Familiars. There is still some investment required, though.

6. From all the interactions that the Player has (or rather, can have) with Orsi in Y1, I have to ask if there aren't other similar cases involving the other students? Because I definitely feel for him if so. He clearly has a rather full schedule dealing with ex-Legates who want to ruin something and chasing down kidnapped students, to say nothing of investigating islands that just appear over Mineta, deal with someone attacking the Wall, and keep an eye on Von Rupprecht? I almost pity seeing what Y2 has in store for poor old Orsi... :(

Hahahah! There are definitely other things going on in the background. ;)

7. What is the toughest fight that College Aranaz had in regards to it's continued existence? How long ago was it?

Just before Professor von Rupprecht, the College was again having difficulties in funding. Now that he is in charge, everything is delicious.

8. I suppose I can understand wanting to keep things secret so that there will always be new stuff every time a new year is released, but it is kind of hard to deal with planning when we don't know what the ends of our studies curtail....

Hahah, sorry. Some things will always be secrets, until, of course, you prise them from the Mod Tools. ;)

9. In regards to Contu's school, would you be willing to at least tell us what Y2's tuition cost will be so that we can start saving up? I'm going to be counting on them to free up classes at the Academagia.

I *think* it is roughly 50% more for the advanced classes. However, this time around, you have to do some favors for Mr. Contu...

So, i put together a list of music that fits my preconceived notions of what Y2's music might sound like. Mostly because I'm bored. Then I realized that the night on bare mountain is probably a little too dark for Y2 (though I'll bet Y3 or 4 would be great for it)

Still, music like hall of the mountain king would probably be perfect. A lot of Y1 music starts pretty softly and only the new world symphony is really powerful amongst Y1's selection. I'm sure that's probably intentional so that you can gradually build up to a climax in Y4 only to ease off the pedal in Y5 a bit. That's how I see it.

Probably my list is very different than the team's though. About half of Y1's listing I had never heard before playing the game. I'll bet the same is such with Y2. Kinda looking forward just hearing the new music.

You know, the more I think about Y2, the more I worry that when I finally do get my hands on it, I may just install it and let it sit on my computer for a few months, knowing full well how long it will be before Y3 can be released.... Oh woe is me! :'(

also, On a minor point, How strong can a Dragon's jaw be?

A-ha! I'm moving the conversation from the forfbidden magic thread to here because I'm going to be going off on several tangents.

So Arithmancy does have uses with illegal magic, does it? Well, I guess I know one area I really need to focus on, since it can be applied to all the pillars. It's funny, too. I may even do a new Y1 save taking arithmetic, although that depends... ;) Arithmancy really doesn't have much explained about it, or why you would want to take Arithmetic. I am curious why it would be Vernin that would learn Arithmetic, since it seems most useful in spellcasting, as opposed to enchanting, although I can see benefits regarding flexibility in enchanted items, so... I dunno. For the longest time I assumed basic math skills were merely needed to be good architects for all those blasted towers they keep building.

Legate, If a skill of 10 is considered a lower level journeyman, even in the proscribed pillars, I am curious as to how the new advanced skills play into figuring how advanced you are in a skill. If your base pillar skill remains at 10 but you know all the advanced skills related to said pillar at 10 also, does that make you better at the pillar than somebody who only had a 20 in the base skill? I assume that learning a new skill related to a pillar will enhance your standing with that base pillar knowledge, but I suppose it's possible that it won't. My current char has an Astrology parent skill at 14 (13 wihout emotion) but a Glamour skill at 10. I am curious how this works out so that I may plan my Y2 adventures accordingly to better smooth out the level of my character's skills. (I don't want Astrology at 25 and Glamour at 17, as a raw example)

If advanced skills are not able to be acquired via random events in Y2, I was wondering how hard it will be to unlock them using the other methods. While I suppose that in the end we will have lots of abilities for training them, it still will be incumbent upon us to unlock those abilities, (usually by unlocking a skill.) kind of like how diction is a pain to unlock in Y1. The only way outside of a random event that I know of is the abstract studies at contu's giving a random chance to unlock it. (that or get lucky with a completely random increase, I suppose, but that's not something that you can plan for.)

Also, I don't even want to know about this [redacted] way to get really good at the illegal skills. It probably involves a cost that I have no interest in paying.

PS. I read a lore that says that experiments with Gates were banned (at least on monteon) before the cataclysm. Is this true? It certainly casts an unpleasant shadow over things...

While I suppose that in the end we will have lots of abilities for training them, it still will be incumbent upon us to unlock those abilities, (usually by unlocking a skill.) kind of like how diction is a pain to unlock in Y1. The only way outside of a random event that I know of is the abstract studies at contu's giving a random chance to unlock it. (that or get lucky with a completely random increase, I suppose, but that's not something that you can plan for.)

Eh...

For succeeding on the Memorization option I get the Mirabilis, Modus Operandi and Zenith Phemes, the Glow of Victory Spell that is currently sadly lacking in use (Finesse 1/Persuasion 1 v. 4 to cast), Information on the Orthography, Glamour Phemes and Concentration skills, and 1 skill step towards Diction and Phemes. Yes, that's the entire Enspell skillset revealed from one successful roll. As I said, going through the tutorial is worth it.

I assume you always go Creativity for the point of Playfulness? I mean that is the way to get early Bon Vivant, but if you really need Enspell for the Aranaz adventure you could try to look for a different source...

Free;

If your base pillar skill remains at 10 but you know all the advanced skills related to said pillar at 10 also, does that make you better at the pillar than somebody who only had a 20 in the base skill?

Yes, and no. Yes, in that a deeper understanding of the base helps with all forms of the magic, and no, in that advanced Skills are separate techniques.

If advanced skills are not able to be acquired via random events in Y2, I was wondering how hard it will be to unlock them using the other methods.

They aren't particularly hard, although you have more of an investment to get them.

PS. I read a lore that says that experiments with Gates were banned (at least on monteon) before the cataclysm. Is this true? It certainly casts an unpleasant shadow over things...

It is true...

That was fast :blink:

Eh, anyway, in that case would it be possible for the Team to switch Etiquette's rank 3 +1 random Relationship Max with, say, rank 8's +1 Instructor relationship? It's not...often going to be a big deal, but if you start the game with +3 Etiquette from background choices (Descended of Royalty, Page, The Society of the West and Friendships: Instructor all give +1 and Station: Wealthy gives +2) you're not going to know who actually got the +1 Max increase short of trail and error. And with almost 90 students...yeah.

1. If one was going to look at protective magics outside of Negation, in order to be well rounded, what might be found?

2. I'm pretty sure it is safe to assume that dragons taught magic to man out of pragmatism in making some of them more useful servants/slaves. What kind of humans were the first to learn magic? Were they the kings, or the scientists perhaps? Or just anyone that the wyrms decided based on their potential usefulness?

3. Out of curiosity, In the game it was mentioned that the truth behind Diavesque was different from what was recorded in the text books. Could you give us the incorrect text book version?

Metis;

Well, I will point that out, sure. ;)

Free;

1) All Pillars have some forms of protective magics, many of which are not Negation based. Various physical shields in Incantation, for instance, specialized Gates to 'devour' Spells, and so on.

2) Although it's difficult to know the motivations, and the stories are even less clear about for what purpose the Dragons first taught Mankind, it's definitively known that by Durand's time, most magic users are stewards, overseers and agents of their Dragons.

3) Hmmm. I *think* it's already present, but let me ask anyway.

Edit: The answer for #3:

"Only commentaries and references survive textually, as all the known copies of Radu Pohenik's "On the Seventh Nature of Gates Magic" were rounded up and burned in the months after the fall of College Icanicix.
What can be pieced together is that: the author speculated that Diavesque - referred to in this context as the "Libro Homicidium" - was the result of an attempt to combine Astrology and Gates magic to create an oracular object linked to the wisdom of the stars/old gods. The problem, in this telling, is that attempts to exclude the constellation Invidus from the final binding backfired spectacularly and the book was cursed by celestial powers, resulting in what we see today.
Pohenik got his stories mixed up, though."

Ahaha! Libro Homicidium, the homicidal book. That's so.. apt and funny, in all the wrong ways. It definitely gives insight into Diavesque's history as a book, though. It certainly implies that death is not a new thing for him/it...

Though I wonder how many books were burned in the bans of Gates and Mastery. Personally I think it would be stupid to just destroy all sources of knowledge on the subject. I suppose unknown copies of the foulest, most dangerous magics still likely exist, and it was merely destruction of 'redundant' copies that got publicly burned as they were not needed and security risks to the propagation of the knowledge.

Regardless, thanks legate. It seems that for every mystery that gets light shined on it, the plot only gets deeper...