Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Thank you so much for that, Legate! That's so interesting! I am really excited to learn so much about this world when Y2 finally comes out!

I love the hints that Mastery had a very different, much softer side to it, back when it was legal. (Though I'm sure that the darker aspects were always there as well)

So much history in the Academagia Campus! As a person who likes history in real life, I am really miffed that the history of things even only tangentially related to the proscribed arts were suppressed, although as the lesson you just gave us points out, it takes a lot of extreme effort to stop wizards from doing things that you don't want them to do!

Actually hadn't thought about the Icanicix College having locations outside of campus, It makes total sense though, and I am very curious about where all those magical artifacts went. But that surely is a story for another time.

Also interesting that the vault of Voices was in Icanicix. I hadn't made that connection, and perhaps I am a bit nervous now that I know...

1) I might be off but I suspect each living creature, object ect. have a natural state and magic usualy only push the person / object away from it and that why it becomes more and more difficult to keep the magic effect running the longer it is away from its natural state. Is this assumation correct?

2) If 1 is correct have anyone tried or even succesed in change the natural state what should end up in a permanent change? Or is this kind of power beyond the curent human understanding or even beyond what magic is able to do?

3) can Negation heal by Negating temporary changes from the natural state? (Such a spell will have terrible effects on some one extening the live via magic)

4) Do the usual permanent healing spells have no or only temporary results when not overcomming the powerfull live extending magic of a mage past his natural end?

Schwarzbart;

1) I might be off but I suspect each living creature, object ect. have a natural state and magic usualy only push the person / object away from it and that why it becomes more and more difficult to keep the magic effect running the longer it is away from its natural state. Is this assumation correct?

That's essentially right, although there are other forces involved as well- the major one being entropic effects.

2) If 1 is correct have anyone tried or even succesed in change the natural state what should end up in a permanent change? Or is this kind of power beyond the curent human understanding or even beyond what magic is able to do?

It is theorized not to be possible. However, [redacted]. Naturally, she was burned at the stake.

3) can Negation heal by Negating temporary changes from the natural state? (Such a spell will have terrible effects on some one extening the live via magic)

Yes, that is the principle that both Negation and Revision use to heal, typically (and that is why such magics do not undo.)

4) Do the usual permanent healing spells have no or only temporary results when not overcomming the powerfull live extending magic of a mage past his natural end?

They can have pretty dramatic consequences for the target, as you can imagine. Such mages need to be healed very carefully, and they have many defenses erected against just this sort of magic.

1. What effect, if any, does the type of pillar have on the duration of a spell?

2, There are "Astrology", "Glamour", "Incantation", and "Revision" phemes, but why are there not phemes named after the other pillars? Or at least why don't they show up in Y1?

3. What kind of collegiate responsibilities do the regents impose on their students? Most of the examples I can think of are Aranaz related, seeing Basia giving Alumni tours and with Von Rupprecht's special guest. the player gets dragged into helping decorate for the esteemed lady's arrival.

4. Assuming that dragons got past the wall, and made a beeline for Mineta, how long would it take them to get there?

Free;

1. What effect, if any, does the type of pillar have on the duration of a spell?

None, particularly.

2, There are "Astrology", "Glamour", "Incantation", and "Revision" phemes, but why are there not phemes named after the other pillars? Or at least why don't they show up in Y1?

There are, and they will show up. I'm not sure why they weren't in Y1, other than they aren't formally taught.

3. What kind of collegiate responsibilities do the regents impose on their students? Most of the examples I can think of are Aranaz related, seeing Basia giving Alumni tours and with Von Rupprecht's special guest. the player gets dragged into helping decorate for the esteemed lady's arrival.

It depends on the College, but there are several duties for each. Avila has the most to do, if you are female.

4. Assuming that dragons got past the wall, and made a beeline for Mineta, how long would it take them to get there?

I am not sure exactly, a day or so, I would think.

1) Is this tutoring system planed to include the study for the subject?

2) Is it more like Y1 contu / Advanced Arithmetic in that you select the time when you learn it but then teach a lot at the potential cost of stress or more like a extra class that eat up your time on fixed days?

I'm pretty sure it would have to be like contu's, just less efficient. To take up a timeslot always for a skill that is "old" seems stupid, as you're only using that to play "catch up" with students who are already at that level.

Schwarzbart;

1) Is this tutoring system planed to include the study for the subject?

What Freespace wrote, essentially.

2) Is it more like Y1 contu / Advanced Arithmetic in that you select the time when you learn it but then teach a lot at the potential cost of stress or more like a extra class that eat up your time on fixed days?

Yep!

To Questions!

1. How ornate can some of the student's wands get? I assume that given how new they are to magic, more basic wands prevail, but I'm sure that perhaps the Chards simply don't care about that?

2. Why is Orthography a subskill of Calligraphy, rather than the other way around?

3, Are there any roll-calls outside of the beginnings of class? Like to check and see if you're in your room by curfew? Or is it just 'don't get caught'?

4. Since you said that some classess will have prerequisites, and that to an extent, we will be able to 'test' out of them, I am curious about my character. Since I know the pillar skills, that is not a problem, but If I choose to take 4 classes needed prerequisites, will I be able to test out of all of those prerequisites, or is there a limit to that? Apart from college classes I took Incantation, Revision, Glamour, and Negation, If all those pillar's advanced skills require their aux skill will I still be able to take those 4 advanced classes?

5. If we wanted to get a good look of campus from the highest area, where would we go?

6. How often do the islands pass right through clouds? Is it treated like an extreme case of fog?

7. Can you explain how the Steal Merit action works? It's clearly Mastery of some type but apparently untraceable and this is due to bizarre methodology, I suppose? I thought that to do something of this nature, you'd need to cast a spell using some seriously not so good phemes?

8. Could you finish and cast a spell that another mage worked on?

Free & Schwarzbart;

1. How ornate can some of the student's wands get? I assume that given how new they are to magic, more basic wands prevail, but I'm sure that perhaps the Chards simply don't care about that?

Ornate wands are actually a bit like ceremonial armor- they are very expensive, and not really well suited. Instead, for prestige, mages tend to focus on powerful combinations of materials rather than design.

2. Why is Orthography a subskill of Calligraphy, rather than the other way around?

This represents the fundamentals, which are strongly a part of Calligraphy technique. As Schwarzbart and Isadorbg note, in Y2 there is another Parent to cover further studies...

3, Are there any roll-calls outside of the beginnings of class? Like to check and see if you're in your room by curfew? Or is it just 'don't get caught'?

It depends on the Instructor.

4. Since you said that some classess will have prerequisites, and that to an extent, we will be able to 'test' out of them, I am curious about my character. Since I know the pillar skills, that is not a problem, but If I choose to take 4 classes needed prerequisites, will I be able to test out of all of those prerequisites, or is there a limit to that? Apart from college classes I took Incantation, Revision, Glamour, and Negation, If all those pillar's advanced skills require their aux skill will I still be able to take those 4 advanced classes?

No limit, as far as I understand, but some of this is also determined by Regent Relationship and/or College.

5. If we wanted to get a good look of campus from the highest area, where would we go?

Either the Main Tower or the Campaniles. Or the nearby mountains! :)

6. How often do the islands pass right through clouds? Is it treated like an extreme case of fog?

Yep, although it's not particularly frequent except near the 'coast'.

7. Can you explain how the Steal Merit action works? It's clearly Mastery of some type but apparently untraceable and this is due to bizarre methodology, I suppose? I thought that to do something of this nature, you'd need to cast a spell using some seriously not so good phemes?

I'll ask!

8. Could you finish and cast a spell that another mage worked on?

Technically yes.

9)Can we visit Schohanwitch during the summer break, no matter where our parents live, if we didn't max our gate skills so fare?

I am afraid I cannot comment. ;)

1) How long would be the average (planed) travel time for each of the Heritage background?

Sad to hear that I won't get a answer to my question as I fear that people with a Heritage background will see the short end of a stick to what they can do in the summer break while students stay in Mineta always have the opinion to use the Sphynx.

How long is the summer break that travel time of several week in one direction would work out so that the player can stay at home for more then just a few days?

Lets say travel time is 3 week (the shortest time I would consider several weeks) each direction so its 6 weeks that is wasted just for the trip and if the summer break is only 2 month then the time to stay home would be only 2 week.

I doubt anyone beside the most wealthy would even consider this as acceptable compared to a stay in Mineta especial considering the high risks of such a trip.

Heh, I can just picture showing up randomly about halfway through summer break at home.

"Hi mom! Hi dad, I did really good on my grades but can't stay because I have just enough time to make it back before the next school year starts. Say hi to crazy uncle Joe for me!

Bye mom! Bye dad!"

Surely though, there will be some benefit to traveling that us Mineta raised students wont get?

Anyway...

1. In the preban Era, was paying a Gates mage to send you wherever you needed to go quickly, common?

2. Will the Academagia be strictly off limits during summer if we stay in Mineta?

3. What are the laws concerning the appearance of wizards in Mineta, particularly over the summer as we won't likely be wearing any uniforms.

4, What kind of magics are typically used in building new structures in setting? I suppose it depends on the wealth and desires of the future occupants, although are there any that are popular?

5. What kind jobs are common for wizards on the level of our characters going into Y2? I suppose it involves repeated casting of simple magics and going places that the old fogeys don't want to set foot in personally...

6. Who is the captain of the guards of the Academagia?

7.You never did tell us the name of the Imperial flagship...?

8. What is the Name of the Pievre all types-of-magic academy?

2) Yes unless you get special permit to a part of it i.e. because you working for the library.

3) I'm sure the laws for mages are different then for students at Academagia.

5) That complete depend on what you managed to learn and if your allowed to use magic because if I remember it right the students from Academagia are forbidden to use magic during the summer break.

Surely though, there will be some benefit to traveling that us Mineta raised students wont get?

Must be a really big bonus given that you have to waste a few 100 of timeslots over the next 4 summer break on travel, have to spend a background point on it and also be limited on the locations you can visit at home compared to Mineta.

I think we'll all be happy with how Y2 turns out, but if not... Well, There's nothing stopping us from making new characters that don't have to deal with traveling, so... I'm pretty cool with it. Beside, Oncestrian Nobles related to Royalty might become the next emperor/empress. Do you know the odds of that happening to Mineta-raised characters? None. And do you hear me complaining about it? (Well, except for here but even so, here it's more like stating a fact than complaining, so whatever. :))

On 2 that makes sense, although I hope that maybe doing some assistant work to some of the researching going on there would also be in order. I was kind of probing on what conditions if any were required to get said permits.

On 3, I am sure that wizarding laws are the same for all magic users! (The school obviously shields students from some of those laws due to their youth, though) However, during the summer I am sure that any school rules are completely irrelevant and so does their protection from the law in general, so I'm more curious about things like needing to keep your wand visible at all times, and other laws of that type.

on 5. I don't remember a thing stating that such magic use would be forbidden! What you know, you know! It's not like it's incomplete knowledge that you acquired. True some might not be very good at some magics yet, but for those children especially if they weren't allowed to use magic they might easily have forgotten half of what they learned over the summer. I don't think that the academy is capable of enforcing any such rule anyway.

Free;

1. In the preban Era, was paying a Gates mage to send you wherever you needed to go quickly, common?

No, although supposedly it was like that during the early Imperial Era. It's unclear.

2. Will the Academagia be strictly off limits during summer if we stay in Mineta?

What Schwarzbart wrote. :)

3. What are the laws concerning the appearance of wizards in Mineta, particularly over the summer as we won't likely be wearing any uniforms.

There are indeed different laws concerning mages and apprentices, including how they dress. While you do not need to wear the full uniform, you do still need to wear an Opertario crest, of which Academagia has a special type.

4, What kind of magics are typically used in building new structures in setting? I suppose it depends on the wealth and desires of the future occupants, although are there any that are popular?

Enchantments, typically. But usually magic is cosmetic in buildings, for reason of support costs.

5. What kind jobs are common for wizards on the level of our characters going into Y2? I suppose it involves repeated casting of simple magics and going places that the old fogeys don't want to set foot in personally...

Mundane jobs- as Schwarzbart notes, it's illegal for an apprentice to use magic by City law. That's not always the case elsewhere, however.

6. Who is the captain of the guards of the Academagia?

I don't remember his name, but that's for the best. An introduction is in order...

7.You never did tell us the name of the Imperial flagship...?

Bah, as above! :)

8. What is the Name of the Pievre all types-of-magic academy?

What Isadorbg wrote. :)

1) Will the backgrounds (i.e. Wealthy) have influence on what transportation we take back home if we have a Heritage background?

2) Can the player influence the methode of transportation back home trough personal money?

3) Are there backgrounds that would remove the effect of a Heritage background (i.e. the parent are Sky Pirates who want to pick up their child at a other place then the save habour)?

Schwarzbart;

1) Will the backgrounds (i.e. Wealthy) have influence on what transportation we take back home if we have a Heritage background?

Yes. ;)

2) Can the player influence the methode of transportation back home trough personal money?

Yes.

3) Are there backgrounds that would remove the effect of a Heritage background (i.e. the parent are Sky Pirates who want to pick up their child at a other place then the save habour)?

Hmmm. Not that, specifically, but there are some outcomes which can change a Background...