Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. What happened to the regents of Kazus and Ickanicix as the ban hammers fell?

2. What are the skills that are recommended to be taught to all wizards regardless of what pillar of magic they specialize in?

3. If you had a pot full of boiling water (which would ordinarily cool off to room temperature) and revised it to a block of ice, with a duration of a week, and then the ice melted, what temperature would the water in the pot be?

4. Are there instructors at the academy that are vocally open about their hatred of Gates and/or Mastery? Or at least rumors of such.

5. What kind of magic is really good at burning off calories? in a permanent sense. Preferably in the act of casting rather than through magical effect.

6. Since the famous calligraphers are noted for making their own inks because they can't trust anyone else to produce effects that they want reliably, I was curious if other artisans so dedicated to their craft wouldn't do the same,

7. As I have been rereading this thread, It occurs to me that of the Y2 classes, we will have college classes that are open to everyone (such as brew) and some which are not. As I plan on diversifying on my subjects, I am curious to know what philosophy the colleges have on restricting access to students on some classes. (outside of academic prerequisites)

8. What would you say are the greatest qualities that one should have in attempting to become a court wizard? I know you've mentioned that they are often paid more in hard currency than even the professors at the academy, and that between calligraphy being a desired skill in that position and you mentioning that I as an omni-disciplinarian wouldn't have any problem becoming one, I'd like to know more about them.

9. What would Von Rupprecht say of one of his students who focused on learning regular enchantment as much as Orthography?

10. I think it was mentioned much earlier that we don't have anything to worry about, but I thought it wouldn't hurt for some confirmation. In Y2, the effects of learning skills is the same as in Y1, yes? By this, I mean, raising your skill to 11 in Y2 will have the same effect as in Y1, and we don't have to worry about some effects being lost forever if we didn't acquire it earlier?

11. Related to 10, if we were really hot stuff in Y1 and acquired some really high score on a subskill (12+) in Y2 we will be automatically filled in on any effects that those skills bring even if In Y1 they didn't have anything? I just would like some reconfirmation as it's been so long and Y2 info is so hard to find, particularly in this thread, as searches will ping results from the earliest references to specific words regardless if they were mentioned a hundred pages later in the thread....

12) I realy wonder if some adventures the player intentional didn't do still will force the player to take actions in a later year? (I hope that even if it is the case this follow up don't eat up timeslots)

13) How unusall are the overly high scores in the exam some of us scored?

14) Will we get classifications like "grade results not seen in generations" at the start of year 2?

for 14, as much as I would love something like that, I think the legate has said that "our characters are as special as we want them to be". Basically, that means to me that anything over 'good success' will have to be left to our own imaginations.

Regardless, I think that's fine. It would take a whole lot of extra writing for those Über-characters who have stats that make the new gods look like kindergartners. Maybe the team would indulge some of that philosophy in the writer's corner though? I'd like to think a little bit of that is allright.

Truth be told though, I am kind of hoping that the team will give us forumites a custom epilogue maybe a paragraph long at the end of Y5 after we show our final characters off. That would be the kind of writing that some of us extreme players are probably looking for.

Ahaha! Libro Homicidium, the homicidal book. That's so.. apt and funny, in all the wrong ways. It definitely gives insight into Diavesque's history as a book, though. It certainly implies that death is not a new thing for him/it...

Though I wonder how many books were burned in the bans of Gates and Mastery. Personally I think it would be stupid to just destroy all sources of knowledge on the subject. I suppose unknown copies of the foulest, most dangerous magics still likely exist, and it was merely destruction of 'redundant' copies that got publicly burned as they were not needed and security risks to the propagation of the knowledge.

Regardless, thanks legate. It seems that for every mystery that gets light shined on it, the plot only gets deeper...

I dunno, if you consider how much Gates mages like to talk about how much knowledge they've lost compared to the olden days, I suspect plenty of books were destroyed utterly. I don't think everyone has your compunction about removing knowledge from existence. Even if there was just a single copy left, I have to feel that eventually someone would find a way to read it. That being said I suppose a lot of the old Gates books are tied up in that hidden Gates library the name of which I forget.

Free;

1. What happened to the regents of Kazus and Ickanicix as the ban hammers fell?

I'm not sure what I can say here. It's a good story, though. ;)

2. What are the skills that are recommended to be taught to all wizards regardless of what pillar of magic they specialize in?

Hmmm. That depends on who is recommending, of course, but Enspell is always good.

3. If you had a pot full of boiling water (which would ordinarily cool off to room temperature) and revised it to a block of ice, with a duration of a week, and then the ice melted, what temperature would the water in the pot be?

That's a good question- I believe the answer is 'boiling hot', but it could equally be room temperature or slightly cold, too. It would depend on the spell.

4. Are there instructors at the academy that are vocally open about their hatred of Gates and/or Mastery? Or at least rumors of such.

None come to mind, no. There's no need: they've been Proscribed for centuries, and there are no practitioners really remaining...right? :)

5. What kind of magic is really good at burning off calories? in a permanent sense. Preferably in the act of casting rather than through magical effect.

Gates.

6. Since the famous calligraphers are noted for making their own inks because they can't trust anyone else to produce effects that they want reliably, I was curious if other artisans so dedicated to their craft wouldn't do the same,

7. As I have been rereading this thread, It occurs to me that of the Y2 classes, we will have college classes that are open to everyone (such as brew) and some which are not. As I plan on diversifying on my subjects, I am curious to know what philosophy the colleges have on restricting access to students on some classes. (outside of academic prerequisites)

It depends on the Regent.

8. What would you say are the greatest qualities that one should have in attempting to become a court wizard? I know you've mentioned that they are often paid more in hard currency than even the professors at the academy, and that between calligraphy being a desired skill in that position and you mentioning that I as an omni-disciplinarian wouldn't have any problem becoming one, I'd like to know more about them.

Diplomacy, I would think? Etiquette, Heraldry, and other courtly skills, too.

9. What would Von Rupprecht say of one of his students who focused on learning regular enchantment as much as Orthography?

Say? Why nothing, of course...

10. I think it was mentioned much earlier that we don't have anything to worry about, but I thought it wouldn't hurt for some confirmation. In Y2, the effects of learning skills is the same as in Y1, yes? By this, I mean, raising your skill to 11 in Y2 will have the same effect as in Y1, and we don't have to worry about some effects being lost forever if we didn't acquire it earlier?

Correct.

11. Related to 10, if we were really hot stuff in Y1 and acquired some really high score on a subskill (12+) in Y2 we will be automatically filled in on any effects that those skills bring even if In Y1 they didn't have anything? I just would like some reconfirmation as it's been so long and Y2 info is so hard to find, particularly in this thread, as searches will ping results from the earliest references to specific words regardless if they were mentioned a hundred pages later in the thread....

Yes, probably. I'm not sure how specifically the converter will handle that.

12) I realy wonder if some adventures the player intentional didn't do still will force the player to take actions in a later year? (I hope that even if it is the case this follow up don't eat up timeslots)

I don't know that any Adventure will 'force' Actions, but if they do, that would be in the later years.

13) How unusall are the overly high scores in the exam some of us scored?

Unusual. :)

14) Will we get classifications like "grade results not seen in generations" at the start of year 2?

Hahah! I don't think so. There is a small, cosmetic thing that happens, but that's about it.

It depends on the Regent.

1) So we might see class that require a certain relationshiplevel with the regent of a college if your not in this

college? (Also called blunt favorism)

2) Is the year 2 engine be able to handle Releationship minimum requirements for a class preferable with a or for a College beside for the extra class?

3. Also, even if you aren't going to release the information soon, do you have a list of exactly what information the team plans to make available to us prior to Y2's release? And how soon before the release are you planning on releasing this info? After the save converter public test? And how is that coming along?

Free & Schwarzbart (with an assist from Metis):

Yes, although relatively less so. Most other crafts are quite a bit simpler to make reliable (although still there are variations from mage to mage.)

1) So we might see class that require a certain relationship level with the regent of a college if your not in this college? (Also called blunt favorism)

It's possible...;)

2) Is the year 2 engine be able to handle Releationship minimum requirements for a class preferable with a or for a College beside for the extra class?

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but I think you are asking if Classes could have as a requirement a minimum Relationship level with a person? If so, yes.

3. Also, even if you aren't going to release the information soon, do you have a list of exactly what information the team plans to make available to us prior to Y2's release? And how soon before the release are you planning on releasing this info? After the save converter public test? And how is that coming along?

Certainly, the public converter test would be public (and you would definitely be a part!) so no information on that yet. As for releasing information before Y2's release, I know they intend to show the Class list, the new Instructors and maybe some of the game systems. Beyond that, though, I do not know!

Sounds like cashing in all your favor at the end of the year might not be the wisest strategy...

Right now I figure that I'll have to take 3 Aranaz classes, leaving 3 free. Those free class slots might be all Durand classes to embrace negation (while doing other pillar skills on the side, or alternatively I'll take 3 classes unrelated to the pillars and focus on raising important auxiliary skills that I neglected in Y1. Glad I've kept all those favors, they're bound to be useful in Y2 so long as I can keep them up in summer break,

Oh, I do hope that at least the save converter test is released this year!

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but I think you are asking if Classes could have as a requirement a minimum Relationship level with a person? If so, yes.

Yes it was actual the question if the year 2 engine is be able to handle such requiremtens like "Durand Regent Relationship > x or be a Durand Student" for a class. So I just wondered if question 1 would be already be a possibility in year 2.

@Freespace For at last 3 updates now I allways have keep at last 1 or 2 Regent relationship at 10 at the end of the year because I suspect we have more and better use for this in year 2 as in year 1. Beside that we have a full day in year 2 that we can use for things like Favor or shoping before we return to our family-home.

So, the Herald, who's Whisker we can get...he's a reasonably important and historically noteworthy dragon, right? Someone who's...well, perhaps not "name", exactly, but "title" would be recognised by people who aren't attending a school as high-end as the Academagia, right?

Excellent, that's exactly the kind of dragon I need to...do nefarious things with. Because plans :)...

EDIT: If I were to mod the vanilla Bitter Hatred flaw into targeting a specific Morvidus student rather than a random one, how would the save converter interpret it?

Edited by Metis

1, Can Mastery be used in lieu of Glamour in creating 'Illusions'? At least as far as for a single individual,

2, Say, that by the end of Y2 I never increased my Revision past what it is now, although all my other magic skills increased. Will this spellcasting experience still allow me to have longer durations with my Revision spells?

3. Is my skill of 10 in all pillars enough to cast 'most' of the important 'comfort' magics? or can some of them get really advanced?

4. What is the longest amount of time that a person has ever taken to cast a spell? That is recorded, anyway...

5. What other places on the map are affected by the current of embers?

6. What kind of personality, and style of teaching does professor Ringraeyer have? I can tell that from her description that she's a diplomatic and reasonable person, and perhaps this is intentional given that we're talking about a Hedi professor, but... unlike von Rupprecht and his Machiavellian plans, Briardi and her caring persona, Aventyrare being an adult child, Knoht being absent-minded, Viada being the functional alcoholic storyteller, Sido being the cool, sober storyteller, I just don't get a read on Ringraeyer. It occurs to me that the Painting adventure has only one step with her in it, and to my knowledge that might be it for a non-Hedi student.

7. Which two pillars are the most commonly mixed in 'modern' spellcasting?

8. What are the common numerological numbers associated with death and/or doom?

9. What is the worst alcohol related incident at the academagia, at least in recent memory?

10. How often do accidents happen to ruin wands?

On 2, mechanically speaking you can already get a global increase to spell duration through Observation 11. I'd be surprised if actual magic skills, if only Enspell, couldn't accomplish the same.

On 6 there's the...Professional of Thieves Adventure AKA Cheap Food and Rumors if you're in Glamour, but that one's probably...not an accurate representation of how Professor Ringraeyer usually is, for...reasons.

Fuuuuu~!

Well, That is interesting. Guess who's never actually done that adventure before?

I had assumed that that adventure was a Hedi adventure for some reason.

Legate! I hereby demand to know why one needs a relationship with Isabeau to start that adventure! I think if anything it should be "greater than 0" instead of "greater than 2" since she certainly never shows up in the first half at least, unless shes blahblah, in which case obviously you don't have a good relationship with her!

Me = Angry.

Edit: I've cooled off. Legate, Is there a reason why going on an adventure would fail? To the point of not being able to even access it again. I didn't get to access the step in this case, it went straight to the day's summary.

Edit Edit. Actually, all adventures fail after you try to do the second step, I assume it's got something to do with the summer months to keep us from completing a whole bunch of adventures? Though I thought that nothing past 28 kailri mattered anyway?

All adventures are coded to only be available until Kaliri 28. After that they shouldn't even appear in the list of adventures you can go on. It's a remnant of the game originally having been designed to include the summer months, but the tradition of adventures ending on Kaliri 28 remains.

Question: So Bitter Hatred can (in theory) be safely modded to target a specific Morvidus student rather than a random Morvidus student. Does the same idea apply for the 10 random students for History: Descendant of Traitors? Say that my character's family horribly backstabbed a noble family in the recent past and I want to mod the game so that the students who get the -2 are all some manner of up-and-up nobility (Catherine Chard, Malthezar Mhadi, Corradin d'Alfi...) rather than students who'd probably applaud the backstabbery (Rui da Casga, Reitz von Lutersee...) or students who probably wouldn't care overly much (Joana Lio y Rossollo, Philippe Marchant...). Would the save converter be able to correctly interpret the modded background, or otherwise be smart enough to let me tell it which students got targeted?