Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Dream & Schwarzbart;

1. Is luck as common amongst non-magicians as magicians?

Hmmmm. It's held by the Imperial Temple that humans are most favored by the divine, but that may or may not be true (see what Schwarzbart wrote). What is indisputable is that the Dragons have no 'luck' at all.

2. I know familiars can be lucky, but what about other non-humans?

As above. :)

3. Would a lucky person be seen as favoured by the gods and worthy of a degree of respect for that alone?

Naturally lucky, yes. Magically lucky, no. They would instead be considered learned in that case.

4. If a bond starts unusually strongly would it typically be because you were somehow more fitted to that particular being or because you were unusually lucky/magical or just completely random?

I think that would be open to your interpretation. As far as I know, the Team didn't have a specific origin in mind there.

Schwarzbart;

No, no news on that yet- there's an investigation going on about the UI. Once that's wrapped up, I think the situation for Steam will clarify.

I have some questions. I don't know if they've been addressed/brought up before.

1. In the "Carnage on The Fields" questline a mage turns into a wyvern, and its followed by text saying "A wyvern? But those died out centuries ago.."

In the muffler quest, the muffler, Professor Regnault, and the pc find a wyvern attacking a unicorn.

Are they both the same type of wyvern? (other than one once having been human) or are there more than one type. like a rare one thats extinct and one that is a tad more common and not dead?

2. Also in the Carnage quest, "That is an Opinicus, a dustwind raptor in some parts. Commonly known as a griffin or gryphon. He may very well be the first new birth seen in Elumia in a century"

In a random zoology based event you can meet/see/pet a baby gryphon. or sooth it or something. is it the same one?

These two things have bothered me for years. The game is very big though, and there is a ton of text, so I know errors happen. Carnage on the fields is still one of my favorite quests though, its action-y and only takes 1 action.

Schwarzbart;

No, no news on that yet- there's an investigation going on about the UI. Once that's wrapped up, I think the situation for Steam will clarify.

3) Huh I thought you decided long ago to not touch the UI of year 1. Is it still about the achivements or are you try to fix the problem with DPI setting or even build in a limited scalling of the UI?

4) What magic can pinpoint the creation-date and -location of a magical item?

5) Can a good forger / enchanter / glamour mage manipulate the reading of the creation date and location? (i.e. this ring of library ghost summoning is from before the last ban and made around Mineta.)

Lilette & Schwarzbart;

1. In the "Carnage on The Fields" questline a mage turns into a wyvern, and its followed by text saying "A wyvern? But those died out centuries ago.."

In the muffler quest, the muffler, Professor Regnault, and the pc find a wyvern attacking a unicorn.

Are they both the same type of wyvern? (other than one once having been human) or are there more than one type. like a rare one thats extinct and one that is a tad more common and not dead?

I'm fairly sure this is only consistent with popular sightings and belief; in the Imperial Reserve (and other, more inaccessible places) Wyverns still live. There are breeds of Wyverns, but I suspect that these two sightings were one and the same breed.

2. Also in the Carnage quest, "That is an Opinicus, a dustwind raptor in some parts. Commonly known as a griffin or gryphon. He may very well be the first new birth seen in Elumia in a century"

In a random zoology based event you can meet/see/pet a baby gryphon. or sooth it or something. is it the same one?

These two things have bothered me for years. The game is very big though, and there is a ton of text, so I know errors happen. Carnage on the fields is still one of my favorite quests though, its action-y and only takes 1 action.

No, likely different, and subject again to the more unusual and common in the Imperial Reserve. I have to ask, though. ;)

Schwarzbart;

3) Huh I thought you decided long ago to not touch the UI of year 1. Is it still about the achivements or are you try to fix the problem with DPI setting or even build in a limited scalling of the UI?

Yes; they revised that decision after Scheherazade, though- they *may* revamp the UI for the Steam release, in terms of scaling. I don't know if they'd tackle DPI, too, but that is one of the long standing errors.

4) What magic can pinpoint the creation-date and -location of a magical item?

Date is done by Negation, and sometimes Revision. Location is usually Glamour, but if you want precision, you can use Revision or sometimes Negation.

5) Can a good forger / enchanter / glamour mage manipulate the reading of the creation date and location? (i.e. this ring of library ghost summoning is from before the last ban and made around Mineta.)

Yes, although it can only disguise it. If the mage investigating is really thorough or good, you can always see past those kinds of tricks.

Schwarzbart;

For the *most* part, the draw of the Temple is in gaining the fortune, luck or favor of the New Gods. During holidays and feasts, re-enactments often incorporate magical effects as a way of retelling the stories of the deeds of the gods, but for most temples this is the exception rather than the rule. Pilgrimage sites or wealthy temples may hold these kinds of events far more frequently.

In addition, wealthy temples often have enchanted objects, usually related to the deeds of the New Gods.

(I'm taking a whirl at writing an Avila adventure right now, I'm half way done. I'll probably be ready for some proof-reading in a day or so. Its gonna have a ball, pirates, a damsel in distress~ I don't know if the team is taking in any more player-written stuff though? So maybe for year 2.)

Which leads me to my question.

Do ships have masts? Do they need them? Do they make ships faster? Any cannons of any sort? Or is it all magical. Are ornithopters like personal sky craft you can fly? (It was mentioned in the quest Just Going About Your Business/Kidnapped.) Are there any ships currently named for Avila that are held by any sort of royal or noble family?

All;

1) Yes; the poor fates of those cursed individuals who displeased/disrespected the gods fill most religious libraries in an unbroken line from the time of the First House of the West to the present day.

2) More than one. :)

3) Almost all ships have masts, although there tend to be 3 main masts, each one extending from various points on the hull, to catch wind from above, the sides and below the ship.

Many ships are fitted with cannons, especially those from Ruckmarn and Reisengen. These cannons are gunpowder cannons, although many have magical upgrades.

Ornithopters are indeed personal craft, although they could be made larger as well.

Hmmmmmm....it's doubtful there are any but small, personal craft which are named for Avila, but it is possible.

What war are you talking about Lilette? There where many!

For your other question Flying Ships where around for realy long time as you can see in this answear:

In the very early days of the Exile, Mankind was only ever able to make stone ships, and volnauge only grew on the Onyx Isles.

Source: http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1274&page=51#entry17105

And yes airship where used a lot in fights against dragons

Edit: In the World of Academagia are some war mentioned just search for Dragon War and also read Recent War below this.

1) Yes; the poor fates of those cursed individuals who displeased/disrespected the gods fill most religious libraries in an unbroken line from the time of the First House of the West to the present day.

Is there a similar line for people who were disrespected by the gods, "rightfully" or otherwise, or are those examples kept quiet?

Yes I wonder what criteria the gods use for their favour, if indeed they are responsible for luck. :)

People getting blessed with luck seems unfair, but it's even worse to be cursed with bad luck!

Maybe they foresaw that you deserved it, but it still seems a bit unfair. I tend to play my characters a-religiously but I guess someone who has been blessed with unusual luck all her life would be cautious about outright offending the gods, just in case.

Metis;

Haha! Yes. :)

Lilette;

Indeed, as Schwarzbart notes, flying ships date all the way to the Exile (and actually, a bit before, if certain legends are true.)

Dream;

It depends on the god, but as you note, there can be a good amount of unfair predestination...unless that's just adjusting facts to the circumstances. :)

1) Are changes in the laws regarding use of magic planed trough the 5 years we play in Academagia?

2) Did the team find ways to implement the achivements that the focus is now the UI?

3) Is tatoo magic still planed for year 2 or shifted to a later year?

4) Is tatto magic base on Enchant or Calygraphy?

Wow.

If, and really, I mean IF certain magics become legal in later years, I'm almost positive it would be due to player interference and as such would not happen by default.

Of course the more likely scenario is that the legate is trolling us and somebody's going to ban Revision or something. haha...

Calligraphy is separate from orthography. (Yet one component of it) Orthography requires you to inscribe runes and such onto items, and that requires a lot of accuracy in drawing to work. Guess what class teaches you how to best use a quitll in refined accurate strokes? Improved Penmanship is probably a unintended but happy cooincidence from taking the class, given the magic oriented nature of the Academagia,

A Y2 question~

Will the new students (Aaran, ect) be in Y2 from the get go, or will they be added at a later date?

Will the Brew/Alchemy class require any certain skills from Y1? Will it build on the current skills? Is botany a good class to take for an alchemist?

@Lilette

1) Yes the new Students will be in Y2 from release and even there if you import old games from y1 where they wasn't added.

2) Brew is a Vernin class skill and is the same as we had in Y1, so yes if you learn Brew in year 1 you have a big headstart and it also means if at all Arithmetic helps for this class. Alchemy is most likly not in Y2 as it is a Brew sub class and we didn't have brew as class so fare.