Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

That's because technically it didn't fall. It survived... in the East and yes the currency of Byzantium was the trade currency of all Europe for quite a time.

Also I suspect that any valuable metal/object can do to pay the taxes afterall gold doesn't really change value because of the seal stamped on it.

Not sure how much locals will care about other-dimensional currency, given it's Gates-y origin (at least as far as Mineta's locals are concerned), though I suppose a...forger? Metallurgist? Metal smelter? Something-or-another won't care too much. Gold is gold, after all.

Not sure how much locals will care about other-dimensional currency, given it's Gates-y origin (at least as far as Mineta's locals are concerned), though I suppose a...forger? Metallurgist? Metal smelter? Something-or-another won't care too much. Gold is gold, after all.

The problem with other-dimensional beings is that they don't speak the current Elumina language and so don't fall under the requirement to set free: "if they are polite and speak the language"

As other-dimensional beings the would need magic to speak the language spoken in Mineta and also most probably not know what is polite behaviour in Mineta.

In a Adventure when this happen to the player that (s)he suddenly is in a strange city thanks to gate magic and "questioned" by the guards in a strange language I would call for a Diplomacy roll of at last 60 to get free.

In such a situation its usually much easier to escape / stay out of sight then to struggle with some form of communication.

All;

1) What kind of punishment are in the Criminal Law beside dues, prison and death? Are there things like pillory together with permanent mark the offender of its wrong deed or public whipping?

Yes, including branding, all present. Muahaha.

2) Is torture a legal allowed way to get a confession and if so are there written rules how to do the torture?

No; it's not outlawed per se, but most people use magic to come to know the truth of a question, if it comes to that. There's a legal principle related to uncertainty and guilt at which magic (and torture) might legally be used.

3 Regarding this, While I suppose it's pretty obvious that this is no loinger done in practice, is thiis because nobody desired to do so anymore? Or is it because the rules were changed to not allow that anymore? Basically I'm asking if this circumstance is still technically on the books for us to try in Y5 if we are feeling really gutsy?

The rules were changed- I don't think it's an option any longer.

4. Who are some of the people who managed to graduate from the school in this manner? Any famous names?

I think some of the names you have read about in the Lores would be included, but I have to ask.

5. I guess Mineta doesn't have an entry tax? Not like people who just fell out of a dimensional Gate are likely to be carrying pieces of the local currency, anyhow.

Mineta, as the Imperial City, has no entry tax, but it's common elsewhere.

1) What was the oldest age a person became a student at Academagia (even if by trickery)?

2) Is it possible to continue ones study at a other academy after finished at Academagia or is it expected to direct take a job as mage then?

3) Are there different entry age limits at the different magic schools we know about so far?

4) Was there ever a non human accepted as student at Academagia maybe within the current students? (I don't talk about cursed humans or half blood humans)

5) Are there mages that placed their mind and live into a golem by accident or intentional? And if so are there some around that allowed to live on?

6) What are common wand replacements? (So fare I read about finger, ring, tongue and unenchanted wand like items)

Schwarzbart;

1) What was the oldest age a person became a student at Academagia (even if by trickery)?

I will have to ask. ;)

2) Is it possible to continue ones study at a other academy after finished at Academagia or is it expected to direct take a job as mage then?

Most academies will happily continue to take your coin for studies, long after you have exhausted the learning potential. It's never required to take a job, provided you have the funds...

3) Are there different entry age limits at the different magic schools we know about so far?

No, it's based around influence and money, primarily. All the ones shown in the Background screen are more preparatory, though.

4) Was there ever a non human accepted as student at Academagia maybe within the current students? (I don't talk about cursed humans or half blood humans)

This answer is [redacted]. ;)

5) Are there mages that placed their mind and live into a golem by accident or intentional? And if so are there some around that allowed to live on?

Certainly, such experiments took place. As to their success....no comment.

6) What are common wand replacements? (So fare I read about finger, ring, tongue and unenchanted wand like items)

There aren't *common* wand replacements, per se, but enchanting a finger is the second most often used alternative. It's not at all common, though, as wands are much more preferred.

In regards to enchanting fingers, glven that it is fully possible for a mage to be disarmed of their wand, how common is enchanting fingers and the like just for the sake of security of having a backup method of casting if their wand breaks or is otherwise disposed of?

1) Is it possible to create a wand enchantment that only activate under a certain condition like a command word or when a specific person hold it?

2) How difficult is it to create a second item that improve upon the enchantment of a other item i.e. a wand that improve your wand enchantment on the finger?

3) Given that in this setting the wealthy most probably are using magic light and the poor probably oil lamps if at all who is then using candle?

4] Will wearing enchanted rings interfere with the enchantnents on your fingers?

5] Can you enchant more than one finger?

6] Is this little tidbit of lore ever going to be implemented in game via adventure or mechanic?

Comment: Illaro strikes me as the type of person to enchant his fingers for some reason

Schwarzbart & Ronikai;

1) Is it possible to create a wand enchantment that only activate under a certain condition like a command word or when a specific person hold it?

Yes, definitely.

2) How difficult is it to create a second item that improve upon the enchantment of a other item i.e. a wand that improve your wand enchantment on the finger?

It is distinctly difficult, but possible.

3) Given that in this setting the wealthy most probably are using magic light and the poor probably oil lamps if at all who is then using candle?

The middle class and poorer nobles and merchants; candles also feature amongst the Imperial Temple. Much less common than in real life, of course.

4] Will wearing enchanted rings interfere with the enchantnents on your fingers?

It *could*, but usually won't.

5] Can you enchant more than one finger?

Yes.

6] Is this little tidbit of lore ever going to be implemented in game via adventure or mechanic?

Very likely. ;)

1. What would you say is the style of most 'modern' music written in setting? Would you say that the game's soundtrack can double as examples of the style of music that might be written?

2. Can you elaborate as to whether Vernin students do any of their forge-work at the Grand Forge? Or do they primarily work at the Vernin forges? What are the hours that the main Forge is in operation? do they keep the fires burning 24/7, or do they have downtimes for maintenence?

3. Have any Mastery or Gates spells ever reacted....badly... to being negated? and is this a danger when considering to Negate said magics? is there any reason why a student might get scolded for attempting to negate said magics over finding somebody else to do it?

4. Given that the student population are much inclined to mischief, what kinds of edits and tinkering should a researcher in the library be on the lookout for?

5. I imagine that there are cases of students leaving the school for summer and leaving their stuff in storage, but due to life not cooperating, they never make it back. How long would such items remain in storage on campus?

6. In the case of the student who accidentally went forward in time a few centuries due to Gates magic, what would have happened, theoretically, if the student had arrived in the post-ban period?

7. Have there been any talks as to when the team is going to release the Y2 class list? It would be nice to know if Y2's development is sufficiently done that that is on the team's mind, even if you don't give a date... ;)

8. How long has the Spirit of the Lake been around?

9. Can you explain how Revisions designed to repair things (like a broken window) can be permanent? I can see healing revisions augmenting a natural healing factor but for non-organic things it's a little harder to wrap one's head around.

10. Traditionally, what difference, if any, is there between a very powerful wizard, and a very knowledgeable one?

11. Do mechanical safes exist in setting and if so, how effective can they be against a magical safecracker?

@Freespace

3) We have the event with the talking plate(or what it is) where when your Negation is not good enough a other spell automatic start. Also if the spell you plan to Negate actual supress something unwanted and you negate it the unwanted effect will take place. Beside I'm sure some spells are specific made to trick a Negation mage.

6) We have this event already with a adventure. But in more general as long the student was not study gate magic there is a lot of paperwork but otherwise its kind of ok but if the student was learning mastery or gate magic then the law of the ban take full effect.

10) Best example is Negation the powerful mage simple use a easy Dispel to Negate all the magic of the Knowledgeable mage while the weaker mage need to use more specific magic to overcome the strengt difference to the powerful mage.

on 3, I was wondering more on the legal aspects of "will you get into trouble for trying to negate bad spells that are outside your paygrade"

on 6, but what if the student WAS learning Gates magic... Before the ban? I get that cloistering would likely happen but I think it's a little different than some modern kid doing some dabbling and dissapearing the Vernin campus for a couple of days. :)

on 10, though, I don't think it works like that. You're assuming that there might be people who can do more with less knowledge, but given that magic is an art, I don't think so. After all, you can only do so much with a painting if all you have for coloring is crayons. I was thinking that the most powerful mages ARE the most powerful because of all the tools at their disposal, but I don't know, which is why I asked. :)

10) Yes we have power trough items that give you just skill level but no knowledge and some abilities / actions that teach you spells & pheme without raising your skill.

So already in Y1 we have it clear that if you have more power chances that you success in the magic you know are bigger but if you have more knowledge your more flexible in what you can do while chances are big you can't do some of you spells because you fail the rolls.

All;

1. What would you say is the style of most 'modern' music written in setting? Would you say that the game's soundtrack can double as examples of the style of music that might be written?

No, not too representative- it would be ~15th-16th century music, roughly.

2. Can you elaborate as to whether Vernin students do any of their forge-work at the Grand Forge? Or do they primarily work at the Vernin forges? What are the hours that the main Forge is in operation? do they keep the fires burning 24/7, or do they have downtimes for maintenence?

They do their work at the Vernin Forge in Y1; the Grand Forge is for higher year Students, visiting mages and commerce. The Forge fires burn 24/7, but the Forge itself is rarely worked very late at night/morning.

3. Have any Mastery or Gates spells ever reacted....badly... to being negated? and is this a danger when considering to Negate said magics? is there any reason why a student might get scolded for attempting to negate said magics over finding somebody else to do it?

You would definitely get into trouble, as you would with any Negation that reacts badly to it. :)

Mastery and Gates might increase the punishment, depending on how badly it reacted.

4. Given that the student population are much inclined to mischief, what kinds of edits and tinkering should a researcher in the library be on the lookout for?

The usual 'turn to page X' and drawings, as well as the more problematic curses, explosions and powders.

5. I imagine that there are cases of students leaving the school for summer and leaving their stuff in storage, but due to life not cooperating, they never make it back. How long would such items remain in storage on campus?

You are not able to leave stuff in storage on campus. You can certainly do so off campus (or leave things at rarely-used areas of campus) with all attendant risks.

6. In the case of the student who accidentally went forward in time a few centuries due to Gates magic, what would have happened, theoretically, if the student had arrived in the post-ban period?

Cloistered, as Schwarzbart noted. :)

7. Have there been any talks as to when the team is going to release the Y2 class list? It would be nice to know if Y2's development is sufficiently done that that is on the team's mind, even if you don't give a date... ;)

There have been many talks about that. :)

8. How long has the Spirit of the Lake been around?

Good question! I will ask.

9. Can you explain how Revisions designed to repair things (like a broken window) can be permanent? I can see healing revisions augmenting a natural healing factor but for non-organic things it's a little harder to wrap one's head around.

Essentially, the reason why Revision is impermanent for most things is that it is a change to the 'Form'. If an object exists long enough, it's 'shape' becomes stronger and stronger. Even if broken, sometime for a period of years, if you Revise it back to its original state, it will 'stay' there.

10. Traditionally, what difference, if any, is there between a very powerful wizard, and a very knowledgeable one?

Well, broadly, a very powerful wizard begs the question: in what aspect? If the aspect is sufficiently broad (all the Pillars), then there would be no difference.

11. Do mechanical safes exist in setting and if so, how effective can they be against a magical safecracker?

They do, and they can be fairly effective- as with non-magical techniques of lockpicking, knowledge of how the lock works is necessary for an effective remedy.

12. Can you wear an enchanted ring to a finger to make the finger stronger? And is it possible to enchant a finger, and then wear a ring that can only use a certain pillar?

Physically stronger? Certainly. In casting? Yes, although difficult. It is also possible to limit magic 'drawn' by that finger to a specific Pillar, although the enchantment would be very time consuming and might be circumvented.

1. Is it possible to revise blindness, or to enchant eyes to see?

Permanent healing is only possible if the blindness is not (already) part of the nature of the person otherwise you can only give back sight for the spell / enchant duration.

I personal would probably even prefer to use a glamour enchant in the chase of a permanent missing sense to gain it back because I think revision to make a new seeing eye is much more complex then to feed the information via glamour direct into the mind.

2. Will we see a Revision based healing/restoration skill set in year 2?

3. Are there other believes around like toward Elemental Lords and such (especial from the sentient non Human)?

I personal would probably even prefer to use a glamour enchant in the chase of a permanent missing sense to gain it back because I think revision to make a new seeing eye is much more complex then to feed the information via glamour direct into the mind.

Wouldn't doing that be closer to mastery or something? And can glamour really do that? I always thought it was just foe illusions and instigating emotions. How would someone go about doing a glamour-enchant for sight? Doubtlessly it's incredibly complicated and requires great skill.

And is it possible to enchant objects with mastery? More in the sense enchanting a certain "directive".

Example: Someone enchants the crown of a king with a single command. The command being to make a garlic and radish mustard sandwich and eat it.

Will that work? Is that possible?

Wouldn't doing that be closer to mastery or something? And can glamour really do that? I always thought it was just foe illusions and instigating emotions. How would someone go about doing a glamour-enchant for sight? Doubtlessly it's incredibly complicated and requires great skill.

Some illusion can be so powerfull that they seem more real than reality itself, Such Glammour could create eyes allowing the blind to see. The eyes would be an illusion but the sight real.... Or is it really ? ;)

And is it possible to enchant objects with mastery? More in the sense enchanting a certain "directive".

Example: Someone enchants the crown of a king with a single command. The command being to make a garlic and radish mustard sandwich and eat it.

Will that work? Is that possible?

Glamour is all about senses not just illusion, i.e. dream related magic and the contract Geas belongs also to glamour even if there the line toward mastery become very thin.

About your Mastery idea why would someone want to invest all the effort for such a simple joke if with the same enchantment one can give the King the command to let someone put into the prison or be killed? If one find out about the enchantment the punishment would be absolut the same for the creator to be either killed or permanent cloistered but be the king the target its more the first.