Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

You mean...is there a Renaissance? :)

No, not as such. Unlike the real Europe, there never was a billiards game of invasions, due to the fragmentary nature of Elumia. Instead, the Empire slowly was eclipsed by various regions, and technological and some cultural continuity was preserved. If there is an age which is regarded as 'grand', it would be the foundation of the Empire, when the New Gods walked on the islands and did their works.

mhm makes sense, and yeah, I was thinking of the renaissance, though since it would likely have been called something else I didn't want to use the name.

And the common people should be pleased that there were fewer wars. While it is true that you can't miss what you never knew, I still think that they should consider themselves lucky! :P

Well, I dunno about that. Fewer wars can also lead to a status where the people will go along easier with a war when it comes, and also increases the odds of there being a war so large it would engulf everything.

Oh I don't know (ignoring the Legate for now) would you prefer 40 years of horror or annihilation? or a lot of small earthquakes rather than a huge mother-f***ing beast of an earthquake which ushers in Armageddon...

Wait, which side was I defending again?... <_<

Anyway, bed time. Sleep well people, or don't, if you are just getting up. Or have an aversion to sleeping well of cause. Or a rather long line of special cases, such as concussion, then please just don't sleep.

Speaking of sleep, which pillar would be most suited for a sleeping spell? Mastery? Glamour? ... revision? ;)

I think you should try Incantation! An anvil is probably overkill but something heavy on your head with enough force ought to knock yourself right out. ;)

All right, question time!!! :)

It's been touched on before, but how would a (conventional) dragon invasion be dealt with? I know about the Wall of course, but assuming that we had a major war, and not just a day's battle, how would it affect the lives of mages? Are there legal requirements for mages to answer the call, and how would the Academagia handle it?

Also, what pillars tend to get more attention in field battle? I know Godina has a reputation for raising war-mages so Incantation is a given, but wouldn't Negation be just as valuable? Or do traditional war tactics on magic focus more on doing as much damage as possible rather than defense?

Speaking of sleep, which pillar would be most suited for a sleeping spell?

It depends on the situation if you want to put a high alert guard or a person under adrenalin to sleep I would go for Mastery or a difficult Revision but for helping someone to find sleep or a bored guard I would go with glamor.

Did you edit that? Is this a trick? :)

"It's been touched on before, but how would a (conventional) dragon invasion be dealt with? I know about the Wall of course, but assuming that we had a major war, and not just a day's battle, how would it affect the lives of mages? Are there legal requirements for mages to answer the call, and how would the Academagia handle it?"

It's hard to say as there haven't been attacks in quite some time. It's not a legal requirement, though.

"Also, what pillars tend to get more attention in field battle? I know Godina has a reputation for raising war-mages so Incantation is a given, but wouldn't Negation be just as valuable? Or do traditional war tactics on magic focus more on doing as much damage as possible rather than defense?"

No, both are stressed in war. Really any pillar can be useful, it's just that Incantation can produce a lot of useful effects, on and off the battlefield.

So since Negation can be used to compel truths...

Can a magic other than Mastery be used to compel silence? I'm thinking of Howl's Moving Castle where the girl who gets the aging curse can't say anything about the circumstances surrounding it.

So outside of healing someone who is mentally ill, other pillars can substitute for almost everything , can't they? It just seems that with enough skill, it's rendered almost irrelevant.

What would be worse to know about: Mastery or Gates? For which of those would you get a higher punishment? Is there a difference between them or do you get cloistered either way?

^Well, personally I think it's kind of like eating with a sword or stabbing somebody with a spoon, but there are limits - you can't shoot somebody with a spoon, just like you can't create water with Mastery.

What are the other races' attitude toward the dragons, both during and after the Captivity? I mean the likes of Minotaur and Goblins and stuff. If they are treated as a part of humanity, what about the more alien stuff like the Fey?

Adrian;

Yes you can shoot people with a flexible spoon. NO NEED TO SHOUT!!

Don't know about the unified theory of magic so we will wait for the Legate Joshua Graham.

Also,

1) What kind of swords do we get to train with if there was a swordsmanship skill?

2) Are there any other kinds of combat skills we may learn in future years?

3) Do we have opera singers in the school? I can imagine Professor Chastellain selecting some kids for an opera and in a poignant scene they sing

MadHatt;

Not quite. Each Pillar has its own unique way of approaching a problem, which is certainly true- but the costs in terms of time, knowledge and resources can be exorbitant. Using Negation to compel silence is incredibly tricky, since you have to specifically forbid cases. It's significantly easier with Glamour, but Durations are very small. Mastery, on the other hand...;)

Well, while we're on the topic of using pillars flexibly to compensate for the loss of Mastery, What pillars can be used to compensate for (any) Gates spells? I know things like teleportation can't be emulated, but certainly some things can be...?

The result you want to gain from a Gate Spall can probably handled via other Spells i.e. the results the Librarian Ghost gives like finding a special book or other things can be emulated via other spells. Or if you summon a snake to poison someone you can also use the more direct aproach in revising the blood of the target in something toxic or control a real snake to hunt down your target via glamour or mastery.