Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Oh but if it doesn't move relative to the island then it DOES move relative to the world. :)

I've another question on familiars:

We've heard they could do magic if given access to some sort of wand but I was wondering would a familiar skilled in magic (trained to aid that pesky student) but not really "built" for it (say a cat/faux dragon) be able to reliably do some minor bits of magic when the mood/need strikes it? By which I mean without wands/tattoos just using it's body/mind and of course on a lower level than his skill would signify but magic nonetheless. Is that possible?

In this case would emotional have-to-do-it situations have a positive effect or is it pure science getting the spells to work properly?

I think familiar can do magics through the bond with no need of a wand.

I even remember a question that asked whether a familiar using the bond tap on his master's magical skill (and thus can use for ex a spell that his master knows but not him) or only the familiar magical knowledge. Tough I don't remember the answer.

A familiar can do magic trough the bound (as long the mage have a wand)!

According to the answer of a question of me recently the opposite is also true so when your familiar hold a wand the mage can do magic trough the bound.

But keep in mind in many places i.e. Mineta it is illegal for a familiar to have a wand.

I think the advance to be able to cast some spells without a wand is big enough for some mages to make a special wand for their familiar even if it is illegal in some places.

Dream & Schwarzbart;

I've another question on familiars:

We've heard they could do magic if given access to some sort of wand but I was wondering would a familiar skilled in magic (trained to aid that pesky student) but not really "built" for it (say a cat/faux dragon) be able to reliably do some minor bits of magic when the mood/need strikes it? By which I mean without wands/tattoos just using it's body/mind and of course on a lower level than his skill would signify but magic nonetheless. Is that possible?

In this case would emotional have-to-do-it situations have a positive effect or is it pure science getting the spells to work properly?

...Familiars can do magic without a wand, but for both Mages and Familiars you need some way to draw the Palette & Phemes, which typically implies a wand. One or the other must have some way of doing this, or they cannot prepare magic.

The Legate mentioned previous that even a makeshift wand need to have certain properties and you can't cast with this like with a normal wand.

Because I think casting trough the bound is weaker already and if then the other side is also weakened because no good wand is at hand then it might become really difficult.

Are you sure having a wand is important? I think it was said a wizard could use a pen or a spoon as a crude and inaccurate wand.

We discussed using fingers, from recollection casting magic without a wand is like trying to paint without a brush - you can do crude finger daubs, and someone who really knows what they are doing can still create art, but generally you are going to get a babyish splatter and embarrass yourself.

I suspect that the DC for drawing phemes would be multiplied significantly, and your magic would be relatively clumsy and easy to shrug off/negate.

We discussed using fingers, from recollection casting magic without a wand is like trying to paint without a brush - you can do crude finger daubs, and someone who really knows what they are doing can still create art, but generally you are going to get a babyish splatter and embarrass yourself.

I suspect that the DC for drawing phemes would be multiplied significantly, and your magic would be relatively clumsy and easy to shrug off/negate.

The Legate told us that we need to have our Finger to be enchanted (tattoo magic or other) to be able to use our finger to cast spells.

But for Academagia students part of the enchantment that are put on them when they enter at year 1 allow crude magic using the fingers.

(I.e. to get our wand back into our hand as in one Negation RE)

I'm wondering about a specific familiar, the doll familiar.

1. Considering that it is a magically animated object, is it immortal to age? I'd assume any deterioration of the enchantment that made it would be compensated for by access to the wizard's aura.
2. Does it naturally heal/repair itself or will any injury remain until manually fixed?
3. Is it more difficult than one would think to fix an injury and "make it stick" (as in involving heavy magic)?
4. If it isn't naturally immortal, would a powerful mage be able to maintain it's life force indefinitely or would that eventually lead to failure like with the mage himself? Perhaps even before the mage?

Hmm mysterious...

1. With a familiar in general their lifespan is much extended automatically, but if a wizard felt for it could he consciously preserve it's life from his teens until the end of a few centuries of life (until he died himself)?

2. What is the natural lifespan of a non-familiar Faux Dragon?

3. Are they solitary animals?

4. Are they considered rare?

5. In the wild, are they intellectually at the level of a monkey or smarter?

6. Does wild Faux Dragons possess any sort of supernatural abilities? Like is their flight magical like dragons?

7. Does life force exist as a measurable force, and is it possible to manipulate this force directly using magic?

Dream;

1. With a familiar in general their lifespan is much extended automatically, but if a wizard felt for it could he consciously preserve it's life from his teens until the end of a few centuries of life (until he died himself)?

Yes, it's been done. Uncommon, but possible.

2. What is the natural lifespan of a non-familiar Faux Dragon?

That's a good question- I do not know. I will ask. :)

3. Are they solitary animals?

Hmmm, I suspect not.

4. Are they considered rare?

Yes.

5. In the wild, are they intellectually at the level of a monkey or smarter?

Perhaps a bit smarter.

6. Does wild Faux Dragons possess any sort of supernatural abilities? Like is their flight magical like dragons?

Yes, they are magical.

7. Does life force exist as a measurable force, and is it possible to manipulate this force directly using magic?

Not measurable, and [redacted]. ;)

Thank you, I have a few questions on life, death and immortality.

1. Are there any laws against attempting to manipulate life force directly?

2. Does any mages seek immortality through undeath (like liches from D&D)?

3. Would attempting such a process be considered Gates magic?

4. Most animated skeletons would not be true undead (just animated bones), does that mean it'd be technically legal to make them?

5. Being just animated bones, would a skeleton eventually fall to pieces when it's enchantment fails?

6. The ghosts we can meet, are they "echoes" of their real selves or did their soul/spirit remain when they died?

7. The magic a ghost uses, is that real magic or some sort of phantom magic? I seem to remember two duelists in an Aranaz quest who certainly seemed dangerous and it seemed they used regular magic.

3) becoming a undead is more a combination of Mastery and Revision then gate magic.

4) Yes unless local law is against it.

5) Sure unless the skeleton is bound together with more then just magic

7) If they have access to a wand and remember how to do magic they also can cast spells. (Pamela apparently don't remember how to do magic)

Remaking yourself into an undead being involves Mastery? I thought Mastery was always directed at others.

It is possible though? To achieve immortality through undeath? I wondered if you'd have troubles with falling more and more to pieces with increasingly failing enchantments and as such not be much better off.

3) becoming a undead is more a combination of Mastery and Revision then gate magic.

3) I am not sure about this, Soul manipulation is definitely under the umbrella of Gates. So if you want to play Lich with phylactery and all the fun Gates seems mandatory to me.

I think it's Mastery that's the less useful in all this since it's about manipulating the Mind not the Spririt. And to answer Dream yes you can use Mastery on yourself tough I won't do it if I was you. ;)

Short term self-mastery seems quite useful for the weak-willed though. You decide doing something is best for you, then to avoid changing your mind when you get tired you cast a Mastery spell to make it so. Unless Mastery has a deteriorating effect on the mind it sounds like a decent solution.

Not necessary for the player character of course, as she has iron will and determination and is able to spend most of the hours she is awake studying interspersed with the occasional adventure.

Mastery is the magic of mind and part of mastery was also necromancy before the last ban.

@Isadorbg I'm not even sure if Academagica have the concept of the soul. Its your mind that you want to preserve if you become a undead and that's clearly the domain of mastery. Ghosts are also in the domain of mastery and not gate to my knowledge

Mastery is the magic of mind and part of mastery was also necromancy before the last ban.

@Isadorbg I'm not even sure if Academagica have the concept of the soul. Its your mind that you want to preserve if you become a undead and that's clearly the domain of mastery. Ghosts are also in the domain of mastery and not gate to my knowledge

Uh... But I remember the Legate said that ghosts were affected by gates not mastery and I am almost sure that the setting know the concept even if not fully understood... I guess we will have to wait him for a definite answer.