Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Dream;

Ah, missed your questions!

Thank you, I have a few questions on life, death and immortality.

1. Are there any laws against attempting to manipulate life force directly?

Yes. :)

2. Does any mages seek immortality through undeath (like liches from D&D)?

Oh, yes.

3. Would attempting such a process be considered Gates magic?

I think most would consider it Revision & Mastery, as Schwarzbart notes. There is some idea that Gates could be involved, too.

4. Most animated skeletons would not be true undead (just animated bones), does that mean it'd be technically legal to make them?

Not of human bones, but otherwise, yes.

5. Being just animated bones, would a skeleton eventually fall to pieces when it's enchantment fails?

Yes, as Schwarzbart notes.

6. The ghosts we can meet, are they "echoes" of their real selves or did their soul/spirit remain when they died?

It's a great question...;)

7. The magic a ghost uses, is that real magic or some sort of phantom magic? I seem to remember two duelists in an Aranaz quest who certainly seemed dangerous and it seemed they used regular magic.

Yes, they can use real magic. At least, some do.

If Gates or Mastery magic was applied to something, and it for some reason could not be negated... At least using general Negation methods, how would you go about removing the magic?

Legate of Mineta, on 14 Nov 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

Schwarzbart;

Very common on most long-term spells. If it's not meant to be long term, there is usually little or no security.

1) So that means a Vernin student should at last learn some basic Negation to become a successful Artificer or at last regular work together with someone who know Negation magic?

(You already told us that we need to know the spell and the phemes to enchant something similar on a item)

2) Will there be a class that requires Enchant and Negation for Counter Negation Enchantments in one of the next years?

So a powerful negator can prevent other spells from being negated ahead of time?

Say a revisionist alters something for the fairly long term (not an enchantment per se), and an equally powerful wizard uses negation to try to negate it, would it be more difficult to negate the effect than it was to create it or vice versa?

If you've added negation spells to prevent negation, are they part of the enchantment itself, and would it require experience in enchantment to add them?

Schwarzbart & Dreamweaver & Freespace;

1) So that means a Vernin student should at last learn some basic Negation to become a successful Artificer or at last regular work together with someone who know Negation magic?
(You already told us that we need to know the spell and the phemes to enchant something similar on a item)

It would be helpful, definitely.

2) Will there be a class that requires Enchant and Negation for Counter Negation Enchantments in one of the next years?

No, there isn't such a specific class, yet. ;)

3) So a powerful negator can prevent other spells from being negated ahead of time?

Yes, that's possible, but really, really improbable. Instead, most enchantments are designed to be complex in ways which make it more difficult to negate.

4) Say a revisionist alters something for the fairly long term (not an enchantment per se), and an equally powerful wizard uses negation to try to negate it, would it be more difficult to negate the effect than it was to create it or vice versa?

It's, generally speaking, always more difficult to Negate something than it is to cast it.

5) If you've added negation spells to prevent negation, are they part of the enchantment itself, and would it require experience in enchantment to add them?

The trouble is that you have to know what you are Negating to negate it- it's so specific as to make this scenario really improbable.

6) And while we're at it, How is the info on Y2 classes coming along?

All's quiet! I think they are looking at Steam right now. ;)

1. Anyone know of a good way to train the Cooking skills?

2. Will Friendships: Actually, Bitter Hatred have any effects in Y2 (and possibly beyond), assuming that you spend the time to mend the broken relationship in Y1?

EDIT: BTW, in case anyone still needs to know, the names of Philippe's brothers are Dexter and Olivier - the latter is the oldest, Philippe himself is the youngest. From Dexter versus Rui 02:

"The very short end. In fact, that trap for Rui da Casga isn't going to work and it's just going to embarrass your family. And then people might start thinking you're just like Dexter." You can see Philippe Marchant working this information over in his head- there's nothing he would hate more than to lose his edge amongst his classmates. "It might be better if you made him take a backseat till you and your other brother can handle Rui in the proper way." [You’ve never even seen Olivier, the oldest Marchant – as far as you know, they’re not letting him out of detention until he graduates – but you’ve sure heard the stories about the time he headbutted a gryphon.]

Edited by Metis

That's indeed good for unlocking them as I also want Ethics, unfortunately I don't want Piety. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Oh hi there page 283, didn't see you <_<. Alicia's Tavern has the problem of handing out +2 SS to one skill rather than +1 SS to two skills, and that means wasted steps unless I get lucky and time things perfectly. Although I could mod that as I did for the Mantle of Stars, I'd rather not if I can help it. Mods take...far too long to publish with the Y1 tools.

Edited by Metis

Interesting. I'm tempted to take the flaw for the extra point and just spend the time mending the relationship ingame, particularly if I Bitter Hatred Girars since he'll do half the work for me come a certain adventure stage. How can taking the flaw turn out positive, though, and how do I make sure that it does?

Metis;

Now that would be telling. ;)

Yeah, it kinda would be :rolleyes:. Still, there'll be a Y2 mod tools at some point, and when that happens... :ph34r:.

Unrelated question: If I mod the vanilla Familiar Bond: Exotic to hand out a specific exotic Familiar as opposed to a random one, will the Y2 import tool run into problems? I'll still have an exotic Familiar and the standard background for one, so it shouldn't, but I thought I'd check. Not that I've yet decided on a Familiar, but just wanted to know if exotic ones are on the table (which, if I have to random one, they aren't).

Does Y2 care about items that were dropped off at locations in Y1? I'm still wondering about how to best dispose of the Book of Deep Shadows, since I don't want to just sell it to Garibaldi and there's no option to hand it to the Sphinx, so maybe if I stash it in the Professor's Lounge? I mean surely a professor finding an old book on Mastery somewhat hidden beneath on von Rupprecht's desk will get rid of it in a way that's not going to get me hunted down by a bunch of liches, right?