Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

So I could pay a visit to the Professor's Lounge on that last day and drop the Book of Deep Shadows off then, in Y2 proper? Good to know, but that leaves the question of whether one of the professors will find it and get rid of it and maybe Regent von Rupprecht without getting either professors or liches on my tail for it. Truth be told if I do that adventure I'll probably just go with the "leave and tell Orsi about it" option, +5 Merit is a drop in an empty bathtub when Hedi is concerned but +3 Favour for Legate Orsi is something I very much want, especially since I'm not too keen on doing Carnage On the Fields, either. Besides which, I imagine Professor Badcrumble would like to have a few words with me if I pull that stunt.

Speaking of, I don't expect an answer but I suppose I'll ask anyway: Will there be a mechanical difference in Y2 between getting +3 Favour with a professor through an adventure or through Weasel Words in Y1? Obviously the latter has possible follow-up adventures, but forgetting that is there a mechanical difference?

Good to know. Now the question is whether the liches can track where the book is and whether they'll leave me alone if I put it somewhere I don't often go. Like...Professor von Rupprecht's office.

Again good to know, because it means I don't have to go out of my way to do professor-approved adventures. And yeah, I'm honestly not expecting Weasel Words to survive the Y1 -> Y2 transition intact, if at all. I just hope there's either a really good in-universe explanation for why everything got changed or absolutely none at all. I can accept "because game mechanics" easily enough, shoddy justifications not so much.

We will see how the spells change because most no longer need a normal timeslot to be used I suspect there will be a large change in the effect of many spells and some will be balanced to others in that they still need a full timeslot.

(I.e. I always considered Cleanse and Remake a ritual that takes time and not a spell.)

[Lie] Completely random question for no reason whatsoever: Have there been public cases (or at least cases later made public) of people in high positions illegally studying Gates since the latest ban started?

...Oh, fine, I got plans. Rest assured that they don't involve me studying Gates...though I give no such promises for certain other PCs interested in Gates (and/or possible not in Schohanwicht, it depends).

...The implications of that fact are...concerning. Workable, but...concerning. Maybe Flore Yveuillet is on to something after all...

Anyway, is it possible to create a, say, classroom-sized room through Gates within a known (pre-ban) Gates created building and hide it's existence from anyone who'd use magic to determine the size of the building? If no, is it possible to dig a physical basement underneath this Gates building and have it be obscured from magic detection because it does not encompass the Gates bubble, and thereby does not get picked up?

Metis;

It's always possible to find hidden magics, if one knows what to look for. The best Negators are excellent at this sort of thing, but it is possible to hide in both scenarios. Unlikely, but possible.

The second case wouldn't be magical, though, just a basement dug below and outside the boundaries of a Gates effect on a building. I get that magic could find this non-magical basement as well...but if people were specifically focussing on the Gates bubble and only verified it's size, not the size of the entire building (since, as far as they know, they're the same anyway), could that go unnoticed?

why on earth not? It's an easy adventure, continuous, with a significant payoff - or are you avoiding cheese?

I'm avoiding nearly being burned to death and possibly a side order of PTSD. My Hedi kid isn't going to be the kind that goes on suicidal adventures just because his player knows that in Y1 he's in a quantum state of "12-13 years old" and thereby still falls under the Child Protection Act. Part of the reason why I really hope that stuff like turning down the Book of Deep Shadows and telling Orsi instead will actually count as a successful adventure in his favor, because I sure don't get attribute points out of it in Y1 and the Merit race sure is a lost cause for Hedi no matter what I do. I can understand why the team would assume a PC to be the adventurous type and count such a situation as a loss...but here I am with a desire to do so anyway.

Mind you, all my other PCs will go on extended adventures through lit furnaces if I think I can get an attribute point out of it (and with me reading ahead in the script you can be sure that I will), but that one Hedi kid will be the exception.

Of course if the Gate-created building itself is already underground and no one is allowed to dig in that area because "we don't want people to come too close to stable, but still potentially dangerous Gates enchantments"...yeah. As soon as the team answers that one lingering PM question they might get a double feature next.

The second case wouldn't be magical, though, just a basement dug below and outside the boundaries of a Gates effect on a building. I get that magic could find this non-magical basement as well...but if people were specifically focussing on the Gates bubble and only verified it's size, not the size of the entire building (since, as far as they know, they're the same anyway), could that go unnoticed?

I'm avoiding nearly being burned to death and possibly a side order of PTSD. My Hedi kid isn't going to be the kind that goes on suicidal adventures just because his player knows that in Y1 he's in a quantum state of "12-13 years old" and thereby still falls under the Child Protection Act. Part of the reason why I really hope that stuff like turning down the Book of Deep Shadows and telling Orsi instead will actually count as a successful adventure in his favor, because I sure don't get attribute points out of it in Y1 and the Merit race sure is a lost cause for Hedi no matter what I do. I can understand why the team would assume a PC to be the adventurous type and count such a situation as a loss...but here I am with a desire to do so anyway.

Mind you, all my other PCs will go on extended adventures through lit furnaces if I think I can get an attribute point out of it (and with me reading ahead in the script you can be sure that I will), but that one Hedi kid will be the exception.

You know that you aren't forced to confront Mjolnir in Carnage On the Field right ? You have to explicitly insist to go with Orsi to do that part of the adventure. If you don't you assist Briardi in protecting the city from Mjolnir which is probably one of the safest place to be in a city that's gonna be flooded.

Of course the end results is less heroic but you still successfully complete the adventure with all the shiny skill/attribute bonus that this entail (tough they may differ I don't remember).

And more importantly still in line with your RP.

Carnage on the Fields and Cloudy Skies aren't related to each other, and the former doesn't involve a flood (well, not a flood of water at any rate...). I actually don't know of an adventure set after Cloudy Skies, I just know it and The Job Posting are mutually exclusive (for...some reason).

Carnage is a bit of a romp, you start off by fighting some assassins with the professors, then go on a solo mission to the other side of the world and get to battle a wyvern and evil cult assisted by Professor Briardi's ex - it's the sort of adventure that Orsi sees as character building. It does however indicate (not for the first time) that Orsi has a under-developed sense of personal mortality and hazard awareness.

The job posting, I think, assumes a major flood - which should be perfectly compatible with the rest of the main storyline as the Captain's adventure in particular highlights how bad the magical storm that surrounds the arrival of the strange isle, theft and re-theft of the staff, etc is.

Don't forget about that part with Gates magic.

Not entirely illegal Gates magic too. Though I do wonder what would happen to poor old orsi if that ever came to light. Just so I can gauge its seriousness for myself. I would expect that being in charge of a place that shapes young minds he probably would get the worst case scenario, whatever it is, although not death.

Carnage on the Fields and Cloudy Skies aren't related to each other, and the former doesn't involve a flood (well, not a flood of water at any rate...). I actually don't know of an adventure set after Cloudy Skies, I just know it and The Job Posting are mutually exclusive (for...some reason).

Yes I thinking of the Job Posting sorry it's been a while that I didn't play the game. Ok so Carnage on the Field is that adventure where you use that gate portal for Orsi` right ? I played that adventure maybe once or twice probably why I didn't remember but it didn't strike me as particularly dangerous comparing to others.

Some adventures like the one with the book of the deep shadow, that one with children thief (you know with that gate mage and his coins), and some college exclusive adventure (Keystone, their was also one in Morvidius when you confront a werewolf at some point am I right ? wonder who that is. :rolleyes:).

Speaking of Cloudy Skies, actually, one semi-related question to that. The adventure notes that Mjolnir got a reputation since "He defeated wolftongue uprisings, waves of the undead, herds of trolls; he even fought a vampire and lived to tell about it."

How powerful and/or deadly are vampires (thought to be) to have "fought a vampire and lived to tell about it" fall in the same category as "defeated waves of the undead" and "herds of trolls"?