Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

As a point of reference for 3, dry ice needs a temperature below −78.5 °C (−109.3 °F) or order to form, assuming normal atmospheric pressure. Which for a set of floating islands might or might not apply. Incidentally exposure to dry ice causes frostbite, so any mage creating a fridge around him instead of in front of him might suffer some side-effects without some form of cold protection.

And as a point of reference for 4, iron has a melting point of 1538 °C or 2800 °F, and the element (read: not alloy) with the highest melting point listed (on, naturally, Wikipedea) is Tungsten at 3422 °C or 6192 °F. Incidentally there is a "Meteorite" item in Y1 that you can get from an RE IIRC, and the description mentions that " When you hold it in your hands, you can feel that it's made of a strange metal".

And on 9, IIRC it's Dialectic that's the auxiliary skill for Negation, not (so much) Botany. Although with Study the Fields Botany is easy enough to max anyway.

The problem that I am worried with #9 is that it's already been said that you wipll be limited in the amount of Y2 classes you can competency into.

If all of the Y2 classes for adanced pillars require anything beyond the Y1 base pillar class, I don't think I'll be able to take more than 1 or 2 of them. Especially since I wanted to take an Astrology related class in Y2 since I neglected it in Y1 (only trained, not studied, since there wasn't enough classes)

Also, I looked up that chart on the elements, metis, but I was more looking into unusual alloys of which it is a lot harder to find a good chart simply due to the number of possibilities, so it is not too unlikely that a few particular alloys found through metorites or such can't be easily dealt with if the forge was designed for iron and steel.

The eternal problem of planning for Y2 classes and class mechanics without even having a class list. Incidentally, have you looked into cram schools beyond Esteban Contu's? If Academagia classes aren't enough or too constricting maybe they're your ticket to omni-long word-dom...something :unsure:.

The alloys bit is why I didn't note the melting point of steel, though since you mentioned exotic materials from meteors I was thinking you were talking about exotic/rare/non-native elements. I don't think meteors contain alloys, at least, though I likewise can't say that I've ever had the "fortune" to have one land near enough to me to check.

Advanced class take one timeslot or was it changed ? So I think the maximum you could (or should) take is 2 since we will have 2 free slot along with the 2 slot alloted to basic classes.

Of course if Advanced class really take one full time slot it might be better to take none or only one to keep some free time to do other things.

By the way both Contu's and [retracted] school will have their own advanced class altough we don't know how much attandance is important for those. :D

isaborg I think you confuse extra class with advanced class.

Extra class is where we get 1 to 1 study direct from a professor but also have to assist said professor and this will take 1 full time slot per extra class. Also the extra class can only be taken with a professor or the regent of you college.

Advanced class is just a therm for class we couldn't take in year 1 because some basics we learned in year 1 are requirement to take them. They still teach 3 class per timeslot in year 2 for this.

And now, the questions:

1, Dragon quest 7 has a story about a village where the people were turned to stone, and by the time somebody had developed a cure, the elements had degraded them to where they couldn't turn back anymore. Can you explain how the Academagia setting would handle a situation like this, and particularly how deadly a petrification spell could be if mishandled?

It's really how deadly any long-term Revision Spell would be- but, as always, the factors that would be looked at first would be the family. Generally, mages who do these kinds of acts tend to be cloistered voluntarily or involuntarily, if of good family. Executed, if not.

2. While I suppose in wizardry duels, just about anything goes, what are things that are technically allowed but definitely considered bad form while dueling?

Only Spells should be used, with nothing prepared beforehand. Tampering with the Circle is overall bad form. And of course, nothing Proscribed. Beyond that, it's more cultural than anything else.

3. How cold have the coldest magical freezing spells gotten? Have things like dry ice been discovered by someone being a little too agressive with cold spells?

There isn't really a thermometer invented just yet, but it can be cold enough to freeze the exterior of something almost instantly, at very skilled castings.

4. What is the highest recorded temperature of the Grand Forge? Are there any materials with especially high melting points? I ask simply because meteors have been known to fall in setting and they usually have exotic materials in them in real life.

Again, there is no recorded temperature, but the Forge has been able to melt all but the most extraordinary magic metals.

5. What kind of treatments do you need to exact on Dragon meats to extract the poison, and how toxic is the poison?

It's very toxic, but the treatment to extract (like the effect of the poison itself), *seems* to correlate to a purity of spirit. The more pure, the less effect it has, and the easier it is to remove.

6. Are there ways to determine the specific types of spells cast by a person (down to the phemes used) even if you don't have access to the object upon which the spell was used?

Yes, although you'd access to the site of the casting itself, or at the minimum, the target.

7. Can you explain a bit why the Astrology skill set is different from the others? I know that it has less phemes, and is more...Esoteric... than the others, so I was hoping that you could explain how the knowledge of those individual skills mesh together if you cast an Astrology spell? How far would somebody who was only interested in practical spellcasting get into Astrology studies before burning out?

Hmmm....what can be said...you definitely cannot go far, if you prefer regular spellcasting, that is for certain. Even a discussion of it's Skills might be overly [redacted]. ;)

8. At what level of skill would a person have to be in order to seek out or intuit a pheme that they did not know, that was in a spell that they did know? And is it possible to intuit what the combinations of certain phemes might do in certain circumstances?

High degree of skill, although it certainly has been done, and is something of an art for mages that practice it. Theft of 'magical property' is often done this way, although hard to prove. It isn't hard to intuit combinations, but...you won't always be right. :)

9. While I can see that my choice to focus on the core pillars will make it difficult to suddenly start taking classes like potion making in future years, will I have hard times getting access to the Y2 advanced classes because I didn't take any of the auxiliary college skills like botany for Negation?

I think it's 50-50. In some cases yes, in some cases no.

And now, the questions:

1, Dragon quest 7 has a story about a village where the people were turned to stone, and by the time somebody had developed a cure, the elements had degraded them to where they couldn't turn back anymore. Can you explain how the Academagia setting would handle a situation like this, and particularly how deadly a petrification spell could be if mishandled?

It's really how deadly any long-term Revision Spell would be- but, as always, the factors that would be looked at first would be the family. Generally, mages who do these kinds of acts tend to be cloistered voluntarily or involuntarily, if of good family. Executed, if not.

1) If the same mage use this spell to get him a stone garden with animals, imp, satyr and such creatures he might have some enemies under the supernatural creatures but the human law would say nothing, right?

2) given that the the player suggestion is still open and BCS usually need over 1 month to play test I think we can expect DLC17 at earliest in April probably later, or?.

3) Is there a divination spell for temperature and if so what school will it belong to? (I would sort it to Negation or Revision)

4) What main schools of magic need a weather mage to know and at what year to get the chance to join the weather office of Mineta after graduating? (I suspect Astrology, Negation as core and either Revision or Incantation)

Schwarzbart;

1) It's likely that, yes, human law wouldn't prohibit this. However, the application of the law might well be different, depending on who the local authority is.

2) About that: there may be an issue with claiming a Steam AppID. It's not certain yet, but there may have to be a Greenlight campaign. We're somewhat astonished if it turns out to be true, but we'll know soon.

3) There are several ways to measure relative temperature (Negation, Revision or Incantation), but no fixed scale.

4) Astrology and Incantation are the primary, but Negation and Revision can both make a significant difference.

albert;

Your thinking is exactly right- finishing a Student Adventure does make the decay slow (although there isn't a hard minimum).

Are there any other factors that affect the holiday relationship decay, for better or worse, or is it just that? Like, does being someone's Rival make a positive "decay" towards 0 slower?

Oh, and how is the save converter coming along? I just realized that my ^newest* save is already almost one and a half years old. My oldest goes back to June 22, 2011. I kinda doubt that one is worth converting, but still!

Also, is it your plan to release the class info for Y2 with the steam release?

I (re)installed steam, by the way. My preparations are nearly 100% complete!

Everyone, Sega is giving away free copies of some of their games on steam. I actually already had jet set radio and Golden axe on their original consoles, but it never hurts to have a PC copy, too. Follow this link and its instructions

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-is-giving-away-free-games-on-steam/1100-6434841/#ftag=YHF6738a5f

I think it's only good until the 20th, so hurry up!

1. Could a type of wine that artificially maintains the taste and...whatever else of containing a normal amount of alcohol while actually containing practically no alcohol at all , which I'd like to call whisper wine, exist? I plays into Marcell's story - Satyrs not bewitching who offers them wine and all - though normal human use would be by upper-class people who'd like to drink some wine before going to the theatre/opera or out on a hunt, but that don't want to go to said place/do said thing while intoxicated or worse. In the latter case especially that seems unwise...

2. A noble-born PC, I imagine, has no say in who s/he gets betrothed to by his/her parents. Does the player, however, have a say in that? Obviously modding is a thing, but I'm wondering if the PC's arranged partner is "hard-coded" into the PC's homecoming story (and what comes after) so that any modifications made would have to re-write every scattered mention of it, or if there is some manner of reality-shaping "choice" of arranged partners that the player could easily mod another choice onto, even if in the vanilla game there's only one, maybe two because of the writing requirements for future years.

3. Has Pievre's republic completely abolished/replaced it's nobility, or are there still people with old titles walking around that, at one point in time, had significantly more power and respect attached to those titles than they do currently?

Probably the most recent conflicts were a war between the Pashate of Khaifa and the Pashate of Saisyne; an escalation of the Brother's War in Medinei; continued commercial conflicts between the Barony of Cassatta, the Republice of Alfi, the Duchy of Ilice and the Republic of Ghiera; continued war between the Duchy of Breuil, the Republic of Pievre, the Confederation of the Plaite and the Duchy of Vauriege; and finally the Duchy of Staade and the Principality of Schus are winding down from a particularly bloody conflict.

Is that an actual, honest-to-goodness armies marching against armies active war or more of a cold war-esque situation? If the former who appears to be winning, and if the latter are there any signs that something or someone is going to break soon? Either way I can name one individual who could and would very much like to make a great impact on that situation ;).

Metis;

1. Could a type of wine that artificially maintains the taste and...whatever else of containing a normal amount of alcohol while actually containing practically no alcohol at all , which I'd like to call whisper wine, exist? I plays into Marcell's story - Satyrs not bewitching who offers them wine and all - though normal human use would be by upper-class people who'd like to drink some wine before going to the theatre/opera or out on a hunt, but that don't want to go to said place/do said thing while intoxicated or worse. In the latter case especially that seems unwise...

Yes, although certainly this would be a magical effect.

2. A noble-born PC, I imagine, has no say in who s/he gets betrothed to by his/her parents. Does the player, however, have a say in that? Obviously modding is a thing, but I'm wondering if the PC's arranged partner is "hard-coded" into the PC's homecoming story (and what comes after) so that any modifications made would have to re-write every scattered mention of it, or if there is some manner of reality-shaping "choice" of arranged partners that the player could easily mod another choice onto, even if in the vanilla game there's only one, maybe two because of the writing requirements for future years.

The Player does have a say in accepting, but not really the choice of candidates. That, I imagine, would be moddable, of course.

3. Has Pievre's republic completely abolished/replaced it's nobility, or are there still people with old titles walking around that, at one point in time, had significantly more power and respect attached to those titles than they do currently?

They have been essentially abolished, although those old titles are remembered, and some of their holders are indeed still walking around (although not usually in Pievre proper.)

Legate of Mineta, on 29 Apr 2011 - 6:43 PM, said:snapback.png

Probably the most recent conflicts were a war between the Pashate of Khaifa and the Pashate of Saisyne; an escalation of the Brother's War in Medinei; continued commercial conflicts between the Barony of Cassatta, the Republice of Alfi, the Duchy of Ilice and the Republic of Ghiera; continued war between the Duchy of Breuil, the Republic of Pievre, the Confederation of the Plaite and the Duchy of Vauriege; and finally the Duchy of Staade and the Principality of Schus are winding down from a particularly bloody conflict.

Is that an actual, honest-to-goodness armies marching against armies active war or more of a cold war-esque situation? If the former who appears to be winning, and if the latter are there any signs that something or someone is going to break soon? Either way I can name one individual who could and would very much like to make a great impact on that situation ;).

It's the former, and it is a mess. No one can be said to be winning, although everyone claims victory.

I can work with all of that, I believe. Though on 4, that means that a certain individual's plan is likely less "start a war" and more "horribly escalate the existing war entirely to one side's detriment (and hopefully final death)". Though I assume still using the same methods, as there's no real need to change it (unless they're forced to, of course).

The UI is partially revamped, actually- it's done and ready for the release. Essentially, the UI now scales, you can click and drag all the windows wherever you like them, and resize them, too. That's what was 'easily' portable to Y1.

1. I suspect we can't have the new UI and also the class skipping bug? ;)

I was referring to moral standards, not academic ones.

Also, I believe the truants would more properly be described with the adjective "absent." I also personally like to add "minded" just for the hell of it, but I really don't have the justification for it, I think those words just go well together. ;)