Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

2) Is Gustavon Mirapos’ Forbidden Gates Library actually located in Elumia Proper, or is it "located" in Elumia Proper in the same sense that Schohanwicht is "located" in Elumia Proper just so that it mechanically exists, due to how locations are stored and referenced in the code?

Are non-roll effects applied before or after a roll is made? Basically, if I have a roll of something/Duel v10 on a spell that increases Duel by 10 without a roll, it is actually possible to fail to cast the spell without active CoF/debuff shenanigans?

Mechanically and lore-wise, if a spell requires opposing Phemes to be cast, it just plain won't work, correct?

1) Are non-roll effects applied before or after a roll is made? Basically, if I have a roll of something/Duel v10 on a spell that increases Duel by 10 without a roll, it is actually possible to fail to cast the spell without active CoF/debuff shenanigans?

For me the reason why I changed the school background I made was that the Legate told us if something gives you a 100% failure chance you always fail no mater what other bonus i.e. even with a CoS of 2000% it still fail when the failure chance check say so. What brings me to the question 3)

2) Mechanically and lore-wise, if a spell requires opposing Phemes to be cast, it just plain won't work, correct?

3) Is there a way to remove a CoF?

beside Lagate look at your PM ^^

4) Does anyone know of a spell/Pheme/Ability/whatever that will reduce Stress Minimum? Temporarily is perfectly fine, just want to know if it's possible to end a day with 0 stress despite having a Stress Min of 1+. And without doing something like Cliquing with...Silke I know, I think Honors might reduce Stress Min too? Regardless, without doing something that would take effort to reverse.

Current game version as in I don't know what will be fixed in DLC 17.

Our wiki only have Silke and the Alarm emotion mentioned who reduce Stress Minimum.

http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Abilities_-_Stress_Minimum

but I think I saw a item that reduce stress minimum a while back in one of my games.

1) I thought it was planed for Negated that the player can work of the CoF so there must be a game function in one of the next years that can remove a CoF or not?

2) Is it planed to give very dark endings for the world depending on the player decision / failed rolls in the next years? (Something like the humans are back in the slavery of the dragons or creatures from a other world have taken over most of the known world)

(Also gave a answer to your last PM)

"Dark" dark endings or "artistic" dark endings? The difference is that the former takes more to occur than the PC tripping over a rock and dying (or an inconvenient bus crash carrying some fraction of the cast) during the prologue, or some unimportant later point. The former also doesn't tend to draw out death scenes so much that the ultimate cause of death is listed as "lived to see the heat death of the universe".

Oh, and as for an actual question, does teaching your Familiar Gates/Mastery help in terms of...well, doing the Gates/Mastery thing in later years? Since apparently a large part is filling the gaps, I'm wondering if a PC wouldn't be better off focussing more on Dialectic/Research, since being able to cast spells doesn't matter much when you can't find them...

Bwahaha!

Given that your Familiar's skill score is added to you (after it is cut in half) I can see where teaching them a skill would be a relatively easy way to increase your own abilities. It's just that in Y1 it isn't too hard to raise your own yet so Familiars are mostly ignored. I expect my Pamela will get a 10 in all pillars in time, as well.

Legate, a few questions for you.

Here, you strongly imply that it is possible to eventually legitimize Gates and Mastery again. (I do love hunting in the old threads, you really were more open back then!)

We know enough about the magics to understand the basic argument as to why they should stay banned. You've mentioned before that there are deeper reasons which are not very well known. "you'd have to ask older mages about that..."

Will the journey of attempting to unban these magics be strongly influenced by our own study of them? (or lack thereof) I would love to really get into the philosophical arguments for those magics, yet I don't see how those could be seriously discussed without already knowing about them enough to argue the finer details, which in a banned environment, is nearly impossible to achieve.

Could professor Sido potentially have gotten into trouble for his bringing up a Gates discussion in class if an influential student complained about it? And in that random event where you walk right dab into the middle of a debate on Gates, (which was clearly a moderated one and did not really get into the finer details at all from what we see, and in all likelihood didn't for obvious reasons.) exactly how and why (and when) are those debates allowed. All you've said before is that they have tended to appear before an unbanning, but in the current era what does it take to set one up?

This question is mostly rhetorical, but even with the lores stating that Gates is mostly a lost art, and with planned mechanics within the game for 'holes' in the field of knowledge, I wonder exactly how much is truly lost? I guess the closest analogy I can come up with are the many lost films of the silent era in real life (minus the banning, haha) but those are discovered buried away in some archive somewhere quite often. It may take a year or three, but eventually another pops up. It would be a lot harder to do if it were illicit, but we already know that Gates and Mastery have one advantage over something like that, and that advantage is that they are always going to be relevant, (silent films are an obsolete subset of films. Gates and Mastery will never go 'obsolete' in that same fashion) and that you can rediscover the knowledge even if all original sources are lost.

Do year 2 have variables we can use to store numbers that take over to the next year? I ask because I want to give the player 12 possible time to reduce the CoF coming from The Purple Wizards of Thai background while the CoF of this background is only 10 and so in year 5 I need a way to make sure it not go over the 10. (OK I could use our flags of year 1 but it becomes a lot to check in the later years then)

Thanks then it probably becomes the easiest way to use 4 flags as a 4 bit binary otherwise I would have to handle up to 12 flags. This will make each finished reduce of the CoF more complicated but the check if the 10 is reached need actual only a check from 2 of this flags (1010). Now back to questions:

1) Can you give us a price range how much it will cost to set up a library in Mineta before leaving they city for the far away homes?

2) Will there be a way to mod when the player have to leave Mineta for the summer break?

Schwarzbart;

2) Hmmm. I think that is hard coded.

Sad if such things are hard coded then we also can scratch the idea to ever make a combined year 1 and 2 mod with the year 2 engine (Even if I have doubts anyone want to make such a mod and also see big performance problems with how big it will get ^^) But back to more questions :)

1) What price region is very very expensive in year 2? In year 1 it was 999 and because we already need to have the money get together in year 1 if we want to set up a Library at the start of year 2 it would be great to know.

Does Y2 account for the possibility that one of the NPC students achieved unreasonable levels of Glory through PC manipulation shenanigans? Say, buffing Vincent E's Compete and Voice of Favoring him into using his personal ability until he's got enough Glory to see elephants fly?