Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Just a heads up, but Sega is now offering new games for free as part of that deal I was talking about earlier. Note that apparently this time you seem to need to subscribe to a newsletter, but if that annoys you I suppose you could unsubscribe anytime after....The games this time are Binary Domain, Condemned: Criminal Origins, and Streets of Rage II

Personally, I'm not too enthused by these games, (and already had SoR2) but if they're for free I'm definitely going to try them out. It looks like there's going to be more games released later as well.

Anyways, back on topic, Is Y1 the very first year that prof Aventyrare has been teaching? I know the game says she's pretty new but how new?

1. Is the exact year that the bans on Gates and Mastery happened known? I imagine that it is but is [redacted]

2. Would there be any 'quill and paper' tabletop roleplaying games in setting? Or would that be too meta? :)

3. Will future years have a scale for PCs, from like 1 to 10 on how 'cool' or 'nerdy' they are?

4. Since not all Gates and Mastery wizards from the preban era were cloistered, Do any alumni from the shuttered colleges ever show up when the school throws a gathering for alumni? and how would the school handle that if the situation was totally on the up and up?

2. isn't the pen and paper RPGs a invention of the last 50 years? At last what we know as pen and paper RPG with character sheet, expirience system, attributes and skills. I think the base in inventing a new story as a group is probably very old and would suite the Academagaia world as very high level Storytelling technique.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but highly commercialized board games didn't exactly exist long ago either but somehow there's BattleMace™ in setting. I think rule of cool trumps historical accuracy, and besides, I could just see this being played out

With maybe The PC as the hero, and a few students running it: Grainne mentioning weird things about the people met in the campaign, Lambert creating all sorts of lame things to investigate in nooks and crannys, and Oriabel inserting ghosts into the story always.

Checking Wikipedea it seems that the earliest confirmed board game dates to somewhere 'round 3000 BC, though widespread and highly commercialized boardgames didn't really exist until mass-production made everything significantly cheaper and available around the 1880–1920 AD area. So if BattleMace is evidence of mass-production capabilities P&P could very well exist in-setting, since the books and tokens could be cheap enough for at least the middle class to afford.

And if not than I'm pretty sure historical accuracy went out the window somewhere around the time that Orsi Incanted a large plasma ball, anyhow.

Metis and co;

1. Is the exact year that the bans on Gates and Mastery happened known? I imagine that it is but is [redacted]

Yes, although, as you note, [redacted]. ;)

2. Would there be any 'quill and paper' tabletop roleplaying games in setting? Or would that be too meta? :)

It's definitely too meta, but...I personally think they should exist. :)

3. Will future years have a scale for PCs, from like 1 to 10 on how 'cool' or 'nerdy' they are?

As isadorbg notes, that's Glory for coolness. As you'll see in Y2, nerdiness is handled in a different way.

4. Since not all Gates and Mastery wizards from the preban era were cloistered, Do any alumni from the shuttered colleges ever show up when the school throws a gathering for alumni? and how would the school handle that if the situation was totally on the up and up?

They do, and they are allowed to wear their Collegiate badges and robes. The Ban is firm on practice, of course.

Edit: I should add, many choose not to, considering it to be in bad taste. In this case, they tend to wear normal clothing to the gathering.

Apparently being last to comment on something makes me the de-facto leader of Free's question discussing group? Sure. I've seen weirder.

1. Yes, although, as you note, [redacted]. ;)

2. It's definitely too meta, but...I personally think they should exist. :)

3. As isadorbg notes, that's Glory for coolness. As you'll see in Y2, nerdiness is handled in a different way.

4. They do, and they are allowed to wear their Collegiate badges and robes. The Ban is firm on practice, of course. I should add, many choose not to, considering it to be in bad taste. In this case, they tend to wear normal clothing to the gathering.

1. I'd just like to note that it's rather telling that the exact year is considered [redacted] for us when it's just a line in a history book in-universe. Time to take notes on events from around 1350 something :rolleyes:.

2. If they exist are they practically exclusive to the lower/middle-class, or is it something that the upper class considers an appropriate gaming activity as well (if only in absence of anything better)?

3. How do those two values interact? Are they two extremes on the same line (IE: Glory cancels the other out and vice-versa, leaving you as either cool, a nerd or neither/both) or two entirely separate values (so there's cool non-nerds as well as cool nerds, however that works)?

4. Can we have that in event form?

EDIT: Quotes and edits still hate each other, BTW.

Edited by Metis

Metis;

1) I thought about pointing that out. You caught it anyway. :)

2) Oh, I don't know if they exist, I just think they ought to. We'll see what the Team says.

3) No, you can be a glorious nerd, for instance. Glory is more along the lines of how famed you are.

4) We should probably. Or an Adventure.

Man I would love to come across someone like that in setting and just pick their brain on just the history of the practice of Gates.

I suppose they've been given stern lectures to not glorify the old magics, and due to the stigma I suspect they'd be a bit reluctant to even talk about it, but I bet there'd be some cool stories.

freespace2dotcom, on 29 Feb 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

Man I would love to come across someone like that in setting and just pick their brain on just the history of the practice of Gates.

I suppose they've been given stern lectures to not glorify the old magics, and due to the stigma I suspect they'd be a bit reluctant to even talk about it, but I bet there'd be some cool stories.

I suspect at the right school(s) we will see such persons as teacher.

Does Y2 support temporary boons/penalties being handed out by events/adventures rather than just abilities/actions/spells/what have you? Like say someone hits you with Emperor Jurenaeus' Piercing Look during some event, can you code the game to actually reduce the relevant skills for the three days that the spell would normally last?

EDIT: Also, since it's March now, has the Y1 fan content entry deadline passed? Not that I personally have anything left, but, you know, just confirming.

Edited by Metis

At least that means that if there's another train of shifting deadlines it'll be on Steam's end. Hey, maybe they'll even set a new record ;).

PS, did you get my PM? I edited it with some extra info that's currently relevant, so just making sure answers will hopefully arrive in a timely fashion.

So I asked a while back whether the PC could be Controlled if you controlled someone else into controlling you (or maybe mod tool shenanigans, I'm not sure), and as far as I recall I either didn't get an answer or the answer was "it's impossible."

Does Y2 support the PC being Controlled, in the calendar sense of "you're forced to do these actions" rather than just as part of an adventure/event's story?