Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Everyone;

We're fairly confident we'll come through the Greenlight process...the real question is, by *when*? :)

In the mean time, the artist is finishing up a Special Project Kickstarter campaign, and then they will begin the trailer for the Greenlight.

1) The fairy tale book, the Year 2 better graphics or some complete other project?

2. Assuming a PC has a 10 in all magical fields, what is generally the highest level of magic that could be successfully intuited at least in part? If a 3th or 4th year cast a spell, even if the PC couldn't replicate or negate it, is there a decent chance that a sufficiently talented 1st year could at least guess at the theory behind it?

1) Something new- it's been in development since 2014, though.

2) It's hard to get theory from a simple cast, but not impossible- usually you want to study the cast over and over, or have some way of magically 'freezing' it. It would certainly be easier and lower levels, of course.

3) Hmmmm. I don't think so. What a great idea. :)

Does the Y2 mod tools support adding afflictions/curses/what have you in the forms of:

1. Changing mechanical rules, like suddenly your base stress max is Fitness×1 instead of Fitness×2.

2. Changing global variables, like suddenly all Training Modifiers count for more difficulty even though their actual values don't individually change.

3. Introducing new (preferably not, though likely pre-defined) rules, like suddenly your attributes can't add more to a roll than you have associated skill levels actually trained up the hard way.

I don't expect so, in which case add that to the Y3 suggestion box :).

That's still more options than I expected. I'll have to see if I can work some "magic" :rolleyes:.

On an unrelated note, do (active) radioactive elements exist on the floating islands, and if yes, are their effects (at least insofar as "this stuff is bad, don't come near this stuff") known?

1. How does the engine handle having multiple Re-roll effects on the same attribute, particularly when there's both worst/best type present? Both in Y1 and Y2.

2. How does the engine handle a situation where a skill's Training Modifier is reduced below 0 through a combination of Selective Focus and something else? Perhaps I've just been playing too much Daggerfall, but does the game have sanity checks for potential underflow situations? Again, Y1 and Y2, please.

3. Does the Y2 engine support defensive CoF for certain action types/spell types/etc.? Like, the PC gets cursed in some manner and now everyone that tries to use anything Beneficial on him/her has a chance to fail at using said action/ability/spell/what have you?

4. Does the Deflect function, seen in Y1 in Deflect Distraction (Ability), still exist in Y2?

5. Does Y1 have anything that can rid the PC of unwanted emotions? Obviously it's not going to matter in 99% of the cases, since any time you have an emotion you qualify to keep (and, if need be, immediately regain) that emotion, but even so, does Y1 have something like that?

6. Do emotions work differently in Y2, or are they just as...not sure what the right word is here. Clear-cut? Eh, close enough.

7. What will happen to the myriad of DELETE skills come the Y1 -> Y2 transition? Are they finally going to be deleted, or will some stick around for...reasons?

8. What happens if I substitute skill A for skill B, and than (try to) use a different action/ability/spell to substitute skill C for skill B before the first action's duration passes?

Edited by Metis

Metis;

1. How does the engine handle having multiple Re-roll effects on the same attribute, particularly when there's both worst/best type present? Both in Y1 and Y2.

In order by the Effect, I believe, for both.

2. How does the engine handle a situation where a skill's Training Modifier is reduced below 0 through a combination of Selective Focus and something else? Perhaps I've just been playing too much Daggerfall, but does the game have sanity checks for potential underflow situations? Again, Y1 and Y2, please.

It can't go below 1 Action, for both. Also: Daggerfall. :)

3. Does the Y2 engine support defensive CoF for certain action types/spell types/etc.? Like, the PC gets cursed in some manner and now everyone that tries to use anything Beneficial on him/her has a chance to fail at using said action/ability/spell/what have you?

No, but there are more defensive options this time around, like 'armor'. Interestingly, originally Y1 supporting this functionality (called Contingency), but in practice it did not work very well. ;)

4. Does the Deflect function, seen in Y1 in Deflect Distraction (Ability), still exist in Y2?

Mostly. Not all of it, though. ;)

5. Does Y1 have anything that can rid the PC of unwanted emotions? Obviously it's not going to matter in 99% of the cases, since any time you have an emotion you qualify to keep (and, if need be, immediately regain) that emotion, but even so, does Y1 have something like that?

You mean, targeted? No.

6. Do emotions work differently in Y2, or are they just as...not sure what the right word is here. Clear-cut? Eh, close enough.

They work *slightly* different, and you can directly target an Emotion to remove. They can be harder to remove, if the underlying conditions aren't dealt with.

7. What will happen to the myriad of DELETE skills come the Y1 -> Y2 transition? Are they finally going to be deleted, or will some stick around for...reasons?

Because of Y1 -> Y2 saves, they will stick around. There was some discussion about repurposing them, but I don't think that will happen. Just me, though.

8. What happens if I substitute skill A for skill B, and than (try to) use a different action/ability/spell to substitute skill C for skill B before the first action's duration passes?

As far as I know, it should work.

1. In order by the Effect, I believe, for both.

2. It can't go below 1 Action, for both. Also: Daggerfall. :)

3. No, but there are more defensive options this time around, like 'armor'. Interestingly, originally Y1 supporting this functionality (called Contingency), but in practice it did not work very well. ;)

4. Mostly. Not all of it, though. ;)

5. You mean, targeted? No.

6. They work *slightly* different, and you can directly target an Emotion to remove. They can be harder to remove, if the underlying conditions aren't dealt with.

7. Because of Y1 -> Y2 saves, they will stick around. There was some discussion about repurposing them, but I don't think that will happen. Just me, though.

8. As far as I know, it should work.

1. So if you have Clock Fatigue you can effectively cancel it out temporarily by using the Rabbit's Kissed by Fate ability?

2. It's more a question of whether it won't end up doing something silly like showing 0/-1 Skill Steps needed for next skill level, since it already can show 0/0 SS/SL.

3/4. Hmm...noted.

5. Does an ability/spell/action/what have you for random emotion removal exist in Y1, than? Mood Swings adds a random one, can anything remove it (through luck/save scumming, if necessary)?

6. Hmmmm...noted.

7. Hmmmmmm...noted.

8. Will you end up rolling skill A or skill C instead of B if you do so?

Metis;

1. So if you have Clock Fatigue you can effectively cancel it out temporarily by using the Rabbit's Kissed by Fate ability?

Not quite- each Effect is still processed, so for something like Clock Fatigue you'd still have to re-roll.

2. It's more a question of whether it won't end up doing something silly like showing 0/-1 Skill Steps needed for next skill level, since it already can show 0/0 SS/SL.

Ah, not 100% sure on the display.

5. Does an ability/spell/action/what have you for random emotion removal exist in Y1, than? Mood Swings adds a random one, can anything remove it (through luck/save scumming, if necessary)?

I *think* a few Abilities were added, but they are random.

8. Will you end up rolling skill A or skill C instead of B if you do so?

In your example, it would be C.

1. Confusing. So if Clock Fatigue and Kissed by Fate are both active, one giving worst re-roll 2 and the other giving best re-roll 2, what happens? How many numbers does the game roll, and which one does it choose (highest, middle or lowest, assuming that no duplicate numbers were rolled)?

5. Hmmmmmmmm...noted.

8. Ah, nuts, there goes my plan of secretly substituting one skill for one of the DELETE skills to make it effectively untouchable. So close to rendering even magical buffs useless :(.

a ) If we change the requirements of some college / class specific adventure will there be problems in year 2 when i.e. Watching the Ships at the Docks was done without Astrology class or The Shop without be in Morvidus?

Given that it was announced that we can change the college in Y2 and also can complete change our class list I suspect it shouldn't be a problem.

b ) Is the year 2 import tool be able to detect if a loaded mod of a y1 game only change / add a unused background?

Problems beyond the Y2 continuation adventures making references to the class/college you were supposedly enrolled in/are presumably still a part of, I assume.

EDIT: So, just to clarify, what's the new deadline on Y1 content, if that's at all known at this stage?

Edited by Metis

1. Can Negation be used to heal a mortal injury before a person dies? I assume that there is a difference behind negating death, oh, and...

2. what would happen if you cast a "Negate Death" spell on someone who was dying but not dead yet? Would it be possible to extend their life by the limited duration that you could muster in that case? And..

3. How would a negate death spell work if the person had a major cause of death, like missing a heart?

4. What year do you think that kind of Negation would be taught?

All;

1. Confusing. So if Clock Fatigue and Kissed by Fate are both active, one giving worst re-roll 2 and the other giving best re-roll 2, what happens? How many numbers does the game roll, and which one does it choose (highest, middle or lowest, assuming that no duplicate numbers were rolled)?

Believe worst rolls go first, and then best. If the worst happens, no further rolls occur. Believe that's the precedence.

a ) If we change the requirements of some college / class specific adventure will there be problems in year 2 when i.e. Watching the Ships at the Docks was done without Astrology class or The Shop without be in Morvidus?
Given that it was announced that we can change the college in Y2 and also can complete change our class list I suspect it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't *think* it should be an issue.

b ) Is the year 2 import tool be able to detect if a loaded mod of a y1 game only change / add a unused background?

Not presently, no.

1. Can Negation be used to heal a mortal injury before a person dies? I assume that there is a difference behind negating death, oh, and...

Yes, possible.

2. what would happen if you cast a "Negate Death" spell on someone who was dying but not dead yet? Would it be possible to extend their life by the limited duration that you could muster in that case? And..

There are many songs and stories about this kind of thing, and yes, you could.

3. How would a negate death spell work if the person had a major cause of death, like missing a heart?

It would be extraordinarily painful for the subject, but would work.

4. What year do you think that kind of Negation would be taught?

It's likely not taught, except by favor or as a seminar.